What food did you give up?

Options
cf0506
cf0506 Posts: 17 Member
I took serious stock of what I was shoveling into my mouth when i began MFP! I am close to turning 40, and am done with having children, so I began my weight loss journey. Anyway, the portion control part of weight loss is really something. I began measuring everything and eating much less to lose some weight. And it worked and continues to work! I have lost 17 pounds and am trying to reach an ultimate goal of 25 pounds.

One food I crave like crazy (because I LOVE it) is pasta. This would be the food I have basically given up all together. It doesn't seem worth it to only be able to eat 2 ounces of it for about 200 calories!

What food did you give up??

Replies

• maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    the thing I miss the most is BREAD! I love pasta too but bread is my down fall. I'll eat some hearty rye, or low carb versions of whole grain and multi-grain if I eat bread.

Longing for a nice sourdough or white bread or french bread still warm, rolls or buns with poppy seeds, caraway seeds, etc. Asiago bread, sigh. EVERYTHING bagels. Cinnamon raisin bread. sniffle, sniffle. gotta go cry.
  • cf0506
    cf0506 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ha! Maggie that's funny! I loves me some good warm bread too.....sigh.....
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Sodas and gatorade were easy to abuse, so I got rid of those completely.
  • slipandsink
    slipandsink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bread, and chocolate. When I turned 18 I started going off chocolate but I've gone from being 15 and able to eat two Mars Bars in one go to the only chocolate I eat being in cookies as a treat. My bf can shovel it down in an instant but it's just so sweet and sickly!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Don't think I have given up any one thing completely, but I have cut way- way back on alcoholic drinks, not that i was a huge drinker to begin with, but like you can't justify 200 calories for pasta, I can't for booze. I'd rather have 200 calories for food or a snack than for 2 drinks, especially being at 1200 calories. I eat pretty much everything in moderation, if I didn't- I'd be setting myself up for a binge and I'm one of those people that can't stand to eat the same things over and over. I crave variety!
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I didn't give anything up. I tried doing that before and I failed every time. Its all mental with me and if I know I can't eat it, that just makes me want it even more. So I still eat my cookies, chocolates, pastas, and breads only now I fill up on a big salad first so that I'm not going overboard. I'd be one cranky b!tch if I gave up the foods that I LOVE. :laugh:
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't totally given up any foods, I just changed how often I eat them. I was getting really bad with pizza, so when I start MFP I wouldn't let myself have any pizza. Now that I'm learning more about the program, I have let myself have pizza a couple times, but stop myself after two slices maximum. It's all about learning how to control yourself, more than restrict yourself.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I balanced my diet so I would have to give up anything. It's a great way to get more variety.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    the thing I miss the most is BREAD! I love pasta too but bread is my down fall. I'll eat some hearty rye, or low carb versions of whole grain and multi-grain if I eat bread.

Longing for a nice sourdough or white bread or french bread still warm, rolls or buns with poppy seeds, caraway seeds, etc. Asiago bread, sigh. EVERYTHING bagels. Cinnamon raisin bread. sniffle, sniffle. gotta go cry.

You took this right out of my mouth!! :-)
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    All the "bad" carbs....ya know, the yummy stuff!! LOL

It's actually all good really...I mean, if i REALLY want a treat, then I will account for it, but honestly, I don't even really crave them anymore....(well except for the cheddar baked biscuits at red lobster or an olive garden breadstick...those I crave big time!!) LOL
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up anything! Well I kinda gave up soda.......
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    One food I crave like crazy (because I LOVE it) is pasta. This would be the food I have basically given up all together. It doesn't seem worth it to only be able to eat 2 ounces of it for about 200 calories!

What food did you give up??

2 ounces is a whole plateful and quite filling. Just sayin'.

I gave up nothing. I choose healthier options most of the time, but I still eat everything I used to eat.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Give up? I haven't given anything up. I have cut way down of junk, but if I really want something, I have it and work it into my day.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Nothing!!!!!!!!! :-) I gave up absolutely nothing. I'm trying to live my life now the way I will want to live it until I die. Do I really want to go my entire life without a single bag of buttered popcorn, not one oreo cookie? Nooooo... moderation, baby.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Candy.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I haven't given anything up completely, but there are foods that I now limit myself to having. Potato chips are the main thing. Those are my biggest downfall and trigger food. So I don't keep any in the house, but I do allow myself a vending machine size bag now and then so I don't binge on them when the craving becomes too intense.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Like other people, it was bread for me. I swapped to things like pitta and wraps and got on well, but when I have a treat of a fresh roll or sliced white bread. I love it so much!
    Just need to be careful I don't get addicted to it again!
  • becauseofholly
    becauseofholly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've cut out fast food and sodas. I get my caffeine fix from tea now.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've cut back on basically everything but not given up anything. I eat the foods I love and just enjoy smaller portions. I use measuring spoons and weighing scales all the time now and check what a correct portion should be.
  • shelbysmom08
    Options
    I eat in moderation if I know I am having a high calorie dinner I eat small meals in the day. I really don't drink pop but I really gaeve up eating in bed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!