What food did you give up?

Options

Replies

• myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut out anything. As you said in your post, the portion size is the key.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Like most here, i haven't really given up anything either, but my staple foods have changed dramatically. I haven't had any ice cream since i started in January, but i will have it if i want it, i'll just make sure it fits in my calorie budget.

I am shocked at how much i don't miss bread, but again, if i want some, i'll have it. It helps that i live in a country where you really can't find much good bread (Singapore). I'd be in trouble if i lived in France!!

I also no longer keep chips in the house. And although pasta used to be my go to comfort meal, i've only had it once since i started and that was whole grain and rice pasta. Brown and wild rice seem to have less sugar than white rice, so i do make a pot of black beans and rice every couple of weeks and eat it for 4 days in a row (yum - about 450 calories).

Now i focus on filling up with fresh veggies at lunch time, and some fresh veggies and lean meats at dinner time.

I used to drink about 10 ounces of fresh grapefruit juice first thing every morning (for decades), but now i've cut it down to 4 ounces and get the same satisfaction from it.
  • willforbes
    willforbes Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut out anything. But I rarely eat chicken wings, chips, and drink beer. Which I used to love abusing before I changed my lifestyle.
  • angie_sample
    Options
    i didnt give up anything, just use moderation.
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Try Shirataki tofu Fettucini noodles great sub for pasta & low calories. I had it last night and for whole bag 8 oz it's 40 calories. I put shrimp, veggies & marinara sauce...delicious!
  • dotido
    dotido Posts: 49
    Options
    Nutella and non diet sodas.
  • mixtaplix
    mixtaplix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Same as a great deal of people here. Just lessened the intake of a lot of things. Big one? My Tim Hortons. Used to have 2 large coffees (double doubles) a day. I try to keep the Timmys (now medium regulars) to the weekends only now. Green teas with stevia thru the week.
  • DIVIN3_B3AUTY
    Options
    RED MEAT. I didn't eat it alot but when I did, I had a lot of it. I love my loaded potatoes from the local BBQ place which is a huge baked potato with ranch,cheese bbq pork and bbq sauce. Its a meal in itself, I had one the other day and it made me sick for 2 days!! :sick: UGH!! So RIP to my red meat!! :smile:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    These are the foods I've cut out since starting January 20th, 2012...I just don't want/crave them anymore like i used to. I can eat meat, diary, fast foods, junk, processed foods whatever i want to...I just don't want it anymore!:drinker:

Meat (beef, chicken, pork, lamb, turkey--etc.) If I eat a dish with meat in it, I'll pick it out. I'm having Chinese for dinner tonight and I'll pick the chicken out.

FOODS I DON'T EAT ANYMORE

Fast Foods

Diary products

Soda pop, store bought juices and empty calorie drinks and sugary stuff

FOOD I HARDLY EAT ANYMORE OR IF I DO EAT THEM IN SERIOUS MODERATION:

Bread

Pastas

Coffee w/cream (I've had about 3 cups since January)

Cakes and pies and junk like that--about 50% of my previous diet was filled with desserts, now I'll have them but no where near the volume/amount I used to.

packaged foods like chips and stuff that comes in boxes, bags and stuff like that.
  • divaontrack
    Options
    Hi All,

First time here. I heard this is like Weight Watchers. But where are the points and list of what to eat. How does Myfitnesspal work?

Thanks for the help.

DOT
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Gave up dairy last week due to some skin complications. It SUCKS LARGE but seriously works.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything except for one thing, and not because I wanted to or chose to, it just started makin me feel sick every time I ate it. I still love it and if it was right in front of me I would probably still eat it lol that is Pizza Hut's stuffed crust pizza.
  • grainne_eire
    Options
    CHEESE! and I miss it so much..... :( I can definitely see the difference though! I even go to the fridge just to smell cheese sometimes. I have a problem ha!
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    Processed foods like baked chips and crackers and alcohol.
  • Seahawk27
    Seahawk27 Posts: 72
    Options
    I didn't give anything up. I tried doing that before and I failed every time. Its all mental with me and if I know I can't eat it, that just makes me want it even more. So I still eat my cookies, chocolates, pastas, and breads only now I fill up on a big salad first so that I'm not going overboard. I'd be one cranky b!tch if I gave up the foods that I LOVE. :laugh:

Love this, I'm the exact same way!
  • RunTLS
    RunTLS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Soda! No more soda for me, or anything sugary for that matter. I've switched mostly to water, with Shakeology once a day (breakfast every morning).
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with food allergies and diabetes this year. I gave up wheat, corn, soy, shellfish and peanuts due to allergies. Gave up most grains, starches, sugary/starchy junk and sugary fruits due to diabetes.

I'm no longer constantly tired, the eczema on my face and arms has disappeared and I've lost 55 pounds since January. The arthritis in my wrists and fingers has greatly eased and the arthritis in my back and ankles is gone.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I didn't give anything up. I tried doing that before and I failed every time. Its all mental with me and if I know I can't eat it, that just makes me want it even more. So I still eat my cookies, chocolates, pastas, and breads only now I fill up on a big salad first so that I'm not going overboard. I'd be one cranky b!tch if I gave up the foods that I LOVE. :laugh:

^^ This. I tried giving up certain things in the past. That always led to a few weeks of great weight loss and then a weekend binge. Now, I'm trying to make this something I can stick with forever. I want to be done with the binge cycle. So, I haven't given up anything. I try to fill up on fruits and veggies (can get full for very low calories) and then I eat the food I really want (i.e. cake), but I'm able to enjoy the smaller piece I have measured for myself because I am full already.
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    all i gave up completely is soda. everything else i eat. stuff like chips, cookies, ice cream and chinese i eat every once in a while. i dont like to feel deprived because then i binge
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Muffins! I used to love having them on occasion but they're so unhealthy! I started eating Vitamuffin tops but I havent had any of those lately. I try to stay away from soda but diet soda is kinda like a treat. I use portion control with everything else so I don't feel deprived. I think the idea is to learn to control yourself and making healthier food swaps so you don't have a boring, repetitive, diet.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!