WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST 5K RUN TIME

Options

Replies

• aimeerocksx3
    Options
    My first 5K is in a week and a half. I walk/run it on the treadmill anywhere from 40-44 minutes. Seems so slow compared to some of the times I see on this thread. Now I feel bad about myself.

(It's alright though.)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    First one was over 30 I am sure. Maybe about 31 - it was easily 10 years ago

PR is 22:30 which was this year. I hope to break 22 this year.
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My first 5K is in a week and a half. I walk/run it on the treadmill anywhere from 40-44 minutes. Seems so slow compared to some of the times I see on this thread. Now I feel bad about myself.

(It's alright though.)

Don't feel bad.. :flowerforyou: Keep at it, your time will improve. I am going your pace and getting stronger everyday. My 1st 5K will be later this summer. I hope to keep it around 35.

Good luck to the OP! You are doing great!
  • nettie23
    nettie23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My 1st 5k was 48 min, I did not prepare to the 5K I just went and did one. My current time now is around 32 min, I would like to have it around 30 I would be happy with that time. I try to do a 5K every couple of months.

Good Luck
  • runwithitwerewinning
    runwithitwerewinning Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My first official 5k was back in 2000 when i was 16 and I finished in around 27 flat. In December 2010, I weighed about 190 and decided to run to get back in shape. My first 5k was in feb. 2011 in the registration line an older gentleman told me how he goes w/his wfie monthly all around the country to do races and that i'd catch the bug. didn't really believe that i would but i enjoyed talking to him. I finished in 28:06 and he was right. I've done at least one a month since, with my PR being 23:27. I've got my first full marathon in September and a Twitter 5k (follow @seedouglasrun if you're interested) on April 28th. Just shooting for sub-26 this time.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    First in January @ 28:16
    Second, last weekend @ 23:56.

I had ran quite a bit prior to my first actual 5k in January. Charted a plan with the Runnersworld.com Smart Coach for my second one to improve my time. I was pleased.

You'll do great. The object of my first 5K was simply to finish. I didn't really worry about the speed of it.
  • computerchick
    computerchick Posts: 2,649 Member
    Options
    I was 46 when I ran my first 5K. I completed it in 31:29. I've run several since then and have come to realize that a lot of factors will determine how well you do. The weather being the most influential. My slowest time was 34:21 in late June in New Orleans. Too humid.. I've since learned not to run races in the sweltering heat.

Wear a watch or a gadget that will give you your pace time so you can be sure to pace yourself. Have fun!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was my only year of CC in high school as a senior. 19:something. I'd been running track since 7th grade.

Since then I've run everything from an 18 flat to a 25:something
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've only done one 5K race (this past December) and my time was 24:33, but I have done other 8Ks, 10K and Half Marathons. Kind of odd that I had never done a 5K before but I liked it. I'm sure I'll do more!
    Good luck with your first race! : )
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    My first was 24:30ish, last June. My PR is 22:28 last October. I started running with c25k April '11.
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My first 5K last September was a little over 38mins, I did one last month and finished in 31 mins, you're doing awesome :)

BTW I was never an athlete, I decided to start running last summer right before my 30th bday :)
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options

(It's alright though.)

Don't feel bad.. :flowerforyou: Keep at it, your time will improve. I am going your pace and getting stronger everyday. My 1st 5K will be later this summer. I hope to keep it around 35.

Good luck to the OP! You are doing great!

Agreed don't feel bad! each of our bodies and experiences are different!
  • Jazzerciser
    Options
    My first 5K was in July 2011 and I finished in 42:00 (don't remember the seconds). I was very proud for just finishing and I did walk (quickly) some of it. Then I did a Mudslinger 5K and finished in 45:00 :( My first 5K for 2012 is next month and hoping my time will get better this year :)
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was 10 years ago this May. I completed it in 34:03. In general, I tend to hover around the 30 minute mark. I've done them with some prior training, and some completely "cold" ("What?! That's tomorrow?"). My time still remains within the same window of 30-35 minutes. My PR is currently 29:22.

I've run 5Ks, 10Ks, half-marathons, and marathons (next race is the Flying Pig Marathon in May). I'm not a strong runner in terms of speed. I tend to maintain the same mantra: "I'll finish. I may not finish well, but I'll finish."

Good luck on your race!
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    i got back into running in sep last year (2011) and on my first day back at the gym after 12 months and 7 kgs of weight gain i ran 5km on the treadmill in 34mins (i use to run a lot at high school so was not the best for me personally)...

however have been running 4 to 5 times per week since then and did 5km outside on sunday in 24 mins.. Im running a half marathon in July aiming for 1 hour 50 min mark and I usually do 10 km in about 50 -52 mins...

it is amazing what dedication, interval training and determination can do and the results you can achieve with increasing your pace and distance...just got to keep at it and always always push yourself - you will be suprised what you can actually achieve
  • firemama
    firemama Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @ KCGGIRL, LOL, I love that thought..."Did you get off the couch?" I think the same thing when people tell me that I can't count my miles if I walk it. Well if I ran 3 and wanna walk 1 to hit 4 miles for the day, I'll count my miles. A Mile is a Mile.
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    :happy: To update you all that asked the race was Sunday My time was 31min 7 seconds, i loved it, it was so much fun! cant wait to do it again, and i know next time i will make better time
    but not bad for my first run i placed 73rd out of about 200 runner's and 7 out of 29 for my age/sex group. YAY thanks everyone for all the luck!

quote]
    Hello Lovely MFP peps. in a little over a week i will be running my first 5k im very new to running so im extreamly nervious about it... my goal is to just finish, and not to walk any of it... Ive been practicing a 3 mile run lately and i can complete it in just under 31 minutes. which to me i know isnt the fastest, but it is totally awesome because on the tredmill it took me over 40 minutes just a short 3 weeks ago.

im curious to see what all of your first 5k run time's were. did you enjoy it? how long had you been running before you signed up?

Thanks in advance for any responces :happy:
    [/quote]
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!!!!! Fantastic time!
  • runnergirlie42
    Options
    Well, I'm 15 and 5'9 (and a girl c:) and I did my first 5k today. I had a time of 22:29 and it was pretty tough! I've been running on the cross country team for a couple weeks now and I started seriously running (more than 1.5 miles for me) about a month ago. I guess I have natural abilities, and it helps that I'm still young so I'm a bit more spry ;) Happy running, I know you'll be great! :)
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am training as well. Right now I am averaging 5:50 a km so around 1/2 hour is my average.