Starvation mode is a myth, so why do we keep saying it exist

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is enough real science, trainers and nutritionists out there that with a little research, everyone should be able to make up their own mind. Nothing being said here will change any minds, and I do believe all of our bodies are so different that we can never be 100% sure how each of us will respond to huge caloric deficites. That being said....good luck. I wouldn't lie and say I didn't think the odds are against you if you want to drop cals dramatically, thay I think you'll lose muscle tone, drive, stamina, and a myriad of other things, but what can I say to convince you otherwise? Good luck.

Not everyone responds to a calorie deficit the same way, which is why you have such variances in anecdotal evidence (on top of the fact that we people cite their own experiences, they are often wrong about what exactly "caused" their "effect").

Some people show little or no decrease in resting metabolism, others can see a notable decrease.

In addition, it has been shown that, people who reduce their calories often reduce their overall activity level. This also occurs when people begin exercise programs. Those people end up offsetting much of the effect of their calorie deficits because they decrease energy output.

And lastly, some people take a long time to effectively respond to a diet/exercise program--usually due to their overall hormonal response.

Because of these and other variables, the whole topic of "starvation mode" usually turns into an elaborate exercise in tail-chasing (which unfortunately doesn't burn as many calories as you'd think.).
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Sarauk if I lose weight and don't hit a plateua does that prove that there is no metabolic damage? I'm not being facetious but what does that say about me? I really must be a freak.

Depends how you go about it, if you had a moderate calorie deficit and didn't hit a plateau it means you where at a good deficit. If you cut down to lets say 500 calories and didn't plateau... well you will. Everyone plateaus at a specific weight, people don't just dissapear to infinity.

The 500 calorie thing works, because even if your metabolism has slowed down to a grinding hot lets say 800 calories, you're still eating below that.

People who have alot of excess fat are not going to be having a BMR of 800 calories/day just because they eat too little calories. Before they get anywhere near that, they would feel so terrible they'd go off the diet anyways. Why is it that in metabolic wards people don't plateau like they do on MFP?

Yet on MFP we have these amazing cases of people who do 5 days of week of intense exercise and eat 1200 calories and aren't losing weight. So what their BMR is now 700 calories and they burn only 500 in an hour workout each day.

I think more realistically, people underestimate intake and overestimate expenditure. Or they don't understand the concept of water retention.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Sarauk if I lose weight and don't hit a plateua does that prove that there is no metabolic damage? I'm not being facetious but what does that say about me? I really must be a freak.

Depends how you go about it, if you had a moderate calorie deficit and didn't hit a plateau it means you where at a good deficit. If you cut down to lets say 500 calories and didn't plateau... well you will. Everyone plateaus at a specific weight, people don't just dissapear to infinity.

The 500 calorie thing works, because even if your metabolism has slowed down to a grinding hot lets say 800 calories, you're still eating below that.

People who have alot of excess fat are not going to be having a BMR of 800 calories/day just because they eat too little calories. Before they get anywhere near that, they would feel so terrible they'd go off the diet anyways. Why is it that in metabolic wards people don't plateau like they do on MFP?

Yet on MFP we have these amazing cases of people who do 5 days of week of intense exercise and eat 1200 calories and aren't losing weight. So what their BMR is now 700 calories and they burn only 500 in an hour workout each day.

I think more realistically, people underestimate intake and overestimate expenditure. Or they don't understand the concept of water retention.

read my post above. 2nd, it's the BMR, that's why gastric bypass, and VLCD work, they are BELOW their AMR even if their AMR is only 800 calories

Sorry you lost me here. I was really commenting on the possibility that someone with excess fat drops to a BMR of 800. No way these people on MFP who have been dieting for a month and stop losing weight on 1200 calories a day have dropped their BMR or BMR + AMR to below their 1200 calorie intake.
  • greene89
    greene89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, I dont care how short these people are, That low of calories is too low ! And It will obviously do way more than get rid of fat, Like lose all your muscle and look like a zombie....

I eat 1200 - 1500 a day, and more on weekends. (AND WORKOUT TO LOSE THE FAT!!!! )

It works for me, If These girls are so friggen lazy thatthey have to eat no calories instead of workout to lose the fat, then they deserve whatever they get....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eating more? complaining? why there is no weightloss? the economy?
    "Starvation Mode" Is an excuse....Everyone is different do what works for you! I did the research to. It is difficult to budge you metabolism to such an extreme.
    An excuse for what?
    The economy. :happy:
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Eh, I disagree, I've had my own personal experiences with it. I have an ED, at once point I dropped down to a few hundred calories a day and lost nothing at all and even put on a few pounds. Now I'm sure if I had continued down that path for an extended period of time, I would have ended up losing weight, but at first I definitely put some on.

it exists in extreme cases, as was posted
  • fenderperry
    fenderperry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is kinda how the Adkins diet works.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

huh?
  • fenderperry
    Options
    I guarantee the majority of MFP members who don't lose weight on 1200 calorie-ish diets are either 1) retaining water or 2) completely underestimating the number of calories they are eating.

I agree, great post.
  • fenderperry
    Options

huh?

Yea, the diet turns you into a fat burning machine but you can eat a lot of protein/fat.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Eh, I disagree, I've had my own personal experiences with it. I have an ED, at once point I dropped down to a few hundred calories a day and lost nothing at all and even put on a few pounds. Now I'm sure if I had continued down that path for an extended period of time, I would have ended up losing weight, but at first I definitely put some on.

I had and ED as well, ate once a day if that and even when I had way more than 10% body fat. I "Starved" myslef to be thin, size 16 to 0 and weighing 97 lbs in about 3 months or so...
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    No offense to all the people with an ED or people who beat it but it seems everytime they want to make a point they say " I had ED so starvation mode exists or they go into how they almost died. Starving yourself to the point of sickness does not make you an expert nor is it the same thing as what is being thrown out as starvation mode. Again this is not directed to discourage or take away from your pain or experience you went through but really scaring people who do not have those mental issues is a bit unproductive.Also this is mot directed at any specific person i'm just making a general observation of what i've seen on this site.
  • ohi1073mysoldier
    Options
    Who cares if it's a myth. This is semantics. The body needs fuel. The body is built to burn fuel. The body then needs refueling. I don't understand why this is so difficult to comprehend? There's no way around this. Anything else is not in the order of taking care of your body. Hey... not in order... OH, yeah, a disorder.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I'm not reading all the comments, but the number one rule in college was to NEVER use wiki.

Do you realize that ANYONE can write something on wiki?

ANYONE can also edit anthers post.

WIKI=crap
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Who cares if it's a myth. This is semantics. The body needs fuel. The body is built to burn fuel. The body then needs refueling. I don't understand why this is so difficult to comprehend?

We fatties can also supply part of the daily fuel from the fat reserves we put on eating too much fuel in the past.

Hence we don't need to put gas in the tank and the same rate as the motor burns it 'cos we're running down a big tank too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No offense to all the people with an ED or people who beat it but it seems everytime they want to make a point they say " I had ED so starvation mode exists or they go into how they almost died. Starving yourself to the point of sickness does not make you an expert nor is it the same thing as what is being thrown out as starvation mode. Again this is not directed to discourage or take away from your pain or experience you went through but really scaring people who do not have those mental issues is a bit unproductive.Also this is mot directed at any specific person i'm just making a general observation of what i've seen on this site.

What is a better term than "starvation mode?"
    Conservation Mode or Famine Response.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Your body is extremely adaptable- if you drop your calories to an amount that the body cannot handle, it will stop burning fat because it knows that it has to preserve every bit of energy that it can get!! If you don't fuel your body right your metabolism immediately slows down as a way to keep energy levels up. Of course you will lose weight eventually, but to punish your body like that is something that isn't maintainable, and will just result in a sad and even unhealthier lifestyle in the long run!!!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Seriously, stop it.

Starvation mode ("Starvation response" if you want to research it) only exists for males with 5% body fat or less and females with 10% body fat or less.

A link with cited sources:

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Via Wiki:

Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has DEPLETED ITS BODY FAT and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.

(emphasis mine).

You should eat a caloric deficit that's comfortable for you regardless of the numbers.

Agreed. I've referred to that Fitness Black Book article before. But some people want to believe what they believe.
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry, I'm not going to eat. Plain and simple. Eating when you are not hungry is a big no no, so if I'm below whatever calorie goal I may be pursuing... I don't really give a flying f**k.
    yup
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yarwell thank you. That was funny and made a good point. One thing we can all agree is eat to be healthy not skinny.
    Who cares if it's a myth. This is semantics. The body needs fuel. The body is built to burn fuel. The body then needs refueling. I don't understand why this is so difficult to comprehend?

We fatties can also supply part of the daily fuel from the fat reserves we put on eating too much fuel in the past.

Hence we don't need to put gas in the tank and the same rate as the motor burns it 'cos we're running down a big tank too.