Starvation mode is a myth, so why do we keep saying it exist

Options

Replies

• watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to prove to you or anyone really. Prove starvation mode.
    I have done it. Sooo ummm what now?
    We fatties can also supply part of the daily fuel from the fat reserves we put on eating too much fuel in the past.

Hence we don't need to put gas in the tank and the same rate as the motor burns it 'cos we're running down a big tank too.

Prove it, eat VLCD then say that again.

Open your diary, and show us.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Can you cite any scientific study that demonstrates the extent of adaptive themogenesis is directly correlated to the size of calorie restriction? I have been unable to find one.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n2/abs/0803523a.html

Not to be a jerk, but did you actually read the study? Because I did, and it doesn't say anything about the size of the calorie restriction having a direct correlation to the size of adaptive thermogenesis.

Here is a key excerpt from the study:

"In conclusion, based on studies that have shown a greater than predicted decrease in EE under energy restriction circumstances, this review presented arguments in support of the potential of adaptive thermogenesis to impede obesity treatment on a short- and long-term basis, at least in some individuals."

Note the inclusion of "at least in some individuals." That means even in the study, not all of the subjects had extra drops in metabolism, even at very low calorie levels.

Here's another key excerpt that I really, really, really hope people will read:

"Indeed, it has been well demonstrated that the decrease in EE during energy restriction and weight loss programs can be greater than expected from the decrease in fat mass and fat-free mass,3, 4, 5 despite these two variables accounting for over 82% of the variance in EE."

In other words, 82% of energy expenditure drop is caused by a loss of mass (i.e. when you lose weight, you burn less calories). 82%. The vast majority of your BMR drop is expected and caused by having less mass, not by any "starvation mode" or "survival response" or whatever. So actually, the study you linked kinda disproves your argument rather than supports it.
    I don't deny there was a variance and that not all individuals had the same result. But the study doesn't disregard what I stated earlier.
    While I don't disagree that loss of body mass will reduce metabolism (that's pretty much a given) my emphasis is that high calorie restriction will slow down metabolism.
    Here's another:
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/51/2/167.abstractControlled trial of the metabolic effects of a very-low-calorie diet: short- and long-term effects

GD Foster, TA Wadden, ID Feurer, AS Jennings, AJ Stunkard, LO Crosby, J Ship and JL Mullen
    University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia.

Resting energy expenditure (REE), weight, and body composition were measured up to seven times in 13 obese women during a 24-wk study. Patients were randomly assigned to a very-low-calorie diet (VLCD, 500 kcal/d) or a balanced-deficit diet (BDD, 1200 kcal/d). After 8 wk of supplemented fasting, REE of the VLCD patients decreased by 17% whereas that of the BDD patients was virtually unchanged. REE of the VLCD patients increased during 12 subsequent weeks of realimentation such that differences in REE between the two groups were not statistically significant at week 24 (VLCD = -11%, BDD = -2%). Reductions in weight and fat-free mass (FFM) were 12.1% and 3.6% for the VLCD patients and 10.6% and 4.1% for the BDD patients, respectively. There were no significant differences between the groups in pre- to posttreatment changes in REE normalized to FFM. Results suggest that REE recovers partially after consumption of a VLCD. They also provide evidence of a possible metabolic advantage of weight loss by a more moderate restriction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Yea, the diet turns you into a fat burning machine but you can eat a lot of protein/fat.
    [/quote]

Yes - but not because of starvation mode. You eat less due to feeling satiated from the protein and fats.
  • huntindawg1962
    Options
    We fatties can also supply part of the daily fuel from the fat reserves we put on eating too much fuel in the past.

Hence we don't need to put gas in the tank and the same rate as the motor burns it 'cos we're running down a big tank too.

Prove it, eat VLCD then say that again.

What about people that had the gastric bypass surgery and only eat 500-800 calories per day - usually mostly protein? There is one study out there that listed VLCD as <800 calories per day. Not my cup of tea!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Oh My God, FINALLY!! Someone who also believes this starvation mode is a big wobbly myth. We are a generation of very well-fed humans, we are not going to starve or waste away into nothing or have our body go into an overdrive of panic if we haven't eaten in several hours. If this happened then we would disintegrate in our sleep when we decide to sleep those extra few hours.

Where has anyone here said you go into starvation mode after a few hours?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Also to note, that if restriction is long enough, then the body will rid itself of higher energy burning tissue in response to survival.

The idea that muscle burns significantly more calories than fat is also often overstated by (some) health professionals. Muscle burns 7-10 kcal/day while fat burns 2-3 kcal/day.

Source(s):

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/16/health/la-he-fitness-muscle-myth-20110516
    http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=how_many_calories_does_muscle_really_burn_not_as_much_as_you_think
    So by the body reducing muscle tissue (which is double the burn of fat tissue) then isn't it prolonging energy stores and increasing chance of survival?

IDEA Fitness member
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Resting energy expenditure (REE), weight, and body composition were measured up to seven times in 13 obese women during a 24-wk study. Patients were randomly assigned to a very-low-calorie diet (VLCD, 500 kcal/d) or a balanced-deficit diet (BDD, 1200 kcal/d). After 8 wk of supplemented fasting, REE of the VLCD patients decreased by 17% whereas that of the BDD patients was virtually unchanged. REE of the VLCD patients increased during 12 subsequent weeks of realimentation such that differences in REE between the two groups were not statistically significant at week 24 (VLCD = -11%, BDD = -2%). Reductions in weight and fat-free mass (FFM) were 12.1% and 3.6% for the VLCD patients and 10.6% and 4.1% for the BDD patients, respectively. There were no significant differences between the groups in pre- to posttreatment changes in REE normalized to FFM. Results suggest that REE recovers partially after consumption of a VLCD. They also provide evidence of a possible metabolic advantage of weight loss by a more moderate restriction.

Excellent. That really is the first study I've seen which suggests an increase in REE over what is expected based on the size of calorie restriction. However, this same study also said that those returning from VLCD (and wow, 500 kcal/d is really, really low) to a 1200 kcal/day diet did have a rebound in their REE.

Interestingly, the paper concludes with this: "We are unable to determine, at present, whether results for the BDD patients are an anomaly or evidence of a possible metabolic advantage for those who lose weight by a more moderate caloric restriction." So ultimately, it's inconclusive. The sample size was 16 people. And 500 kcal/day is crazy low. Nevertheless, I appreciate you taking the time to find this article because it is by far the best evidence I've seen so far that supports an increase in AT based on size of restriction.

Kudos :drinker:
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Seriously, stop it.

Starvation mode ("Starvation response" if you want to research it) only exists for males with 5% body fat or less and females with 10% body fat or less.

A link with cited sources:

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Via Wiki:

Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has DEPLETED ITS BODY FAT and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.

(emphasis mine).

You should eat a caloric deficit that's comfortable for you regardless of the numbers.

THANK YOU for this I study this stuff and this myth drives me crazy
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Here is my experience of starvation mode.
    I was anorexic for 3 years. Some days I ate an orange and a piece of toast and thought I was wonderful for it (more fool me)

In the short term (1-6) months eating under 800 or 900 cals a day:
    Makes you irritable, grumpy and a pain to live with
    Your breath will smell
    Your face skin will dry out and/or you'll get spots
    You will feel nauseous with hunger
    You stomach will make noise all the time
    You will lose hell of a lot of weight (up to 7lbs a week)

6 -12 months
    Your period will stop
    Your appetite will be gone.
    You will have trained yourself to go without food.
    Your energy will be non-existant
    Your circle of friends will have whittered away as you fall out or cut out all of them in turn because of your eating
    Your family will be in a panic about your appearance
    Your weight loss will slow down to about 1lb a week (or less)
    Your hair will thin

12-18 months
    You are really ill now
    You panic about your weight loss and drop down to 300-500 cals because some other anorexic on an internet forum said this worked for her
    The other Anas on the forums are your only "friends" now
    All your muscle has gone
    The skin all over your body and your face will be in a shocking condition
    You are cold all the time, a horrible soul sucking coldness that seems to come from within
    Organ damage has started
    Your hair will stop growing and may start to fall out

18 months +
    As well as everything else above
    The symptoms of mental illness appear (paranoia being the most common)
    Irreversible organ damage may have started
    Lumps of your hair will fall out leaving you with bald patches

After recovery:
    Your body clings on to every calories like a dying man to a shipwreak and you put on weight. You think dropping back to your previous habits will lose it - it doesn't. What do you do then?

Those are the consequences of surviving on anorexic portions of food. Those are the ones I saw myself and others in real-life support groups go through. Some lived, some died. Those that lived took years to get over the consequences of our eating habits. That is the reality of eating half what a woman needs to survive on.

Do you know that anyone can edit wikipedia? Do you really want to ruin your life because someone thought it would be clever to justify their lifestyle choices by lying about the consequences of eating like this?

Is this really the path you want to go down? I am begging you now to stop before it is too late and you embark on a lifestyle that negatively shapes the rest of your life.

Right now, I am now losing 2lbs a week eating around about 2000 cals a day. I am happy, healthy and energetic.

Be smart before it is too late for you.

That was one of the best responses I've seen on MFP. Well done.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Undereating is so silly- you CAN and WILL lose weight eating a healthy diet and exercising....I have NEVER eaten under 1200 calories a day unless I was sick and unable. Here's to my 2000 or more calories a day that keeps me feeling good, having enough fuel for workouts, preserving my muscle mass, and hopefully losing body fat!! :)
  • huntindawg1962
    Options

Yes, i discussed this earlier. this is the result of still eating under their maintenance. They don't get all anorexic looking, a lot still look over weight, They're not all "ripped and lean" the question is. WHY NOT? even if they're eating super low calories.

Skinny fat, I guess. - "ripped and lean" would imply more than just losing weight. I have been "skinny fat" - not doing it that way this time :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Excellent. That really is the first study I've seen which suggests an increase in REE over what is expected based on the size of calorie restriction. However, this same study also said that those returning from VLCD (and wow, 500 kcal/d is really, really low) to a 1200 kcal/day diet did have a rebound in their REE.

Interestingly, the paper concludes with this: "We are unable to determine, at present, whether results for the BDD patients are an anomaly or evidence of a possible metabolic advantage for those who lose weight by a more moderate caloric restriction." So ultimately, it's inconclusive. The sample size was 16 people. And 500 kcal/day is crazy low. Nevertheless, I appreciate you taking the time to find this article because it is by far the best evidence I've seen so far that supports an increase in AT based on size of restriction.

Our interaction helps to include others in the conversation who at the very least get to see some of the studies being done on calorie restriction and metabolism correlation.

IDEA Fitness member
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've read hundreds of posts on this subject and Opus649 you have articulated the best argument against this subject to date.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Undereating is so silly- you CAN and WILL lose weight eating a healthy diet and exercising....I have NEVER eaten under 1200 calories a day unless I was sick and unable. Here's to my 2000 or more calories a day that keeps me feeling good, having enough fuel for workouts, preserving my muscle mass, and hopefully losing body fat!! :)

Wow - congratulations on your weight loss - I took a peek at your pics - great transformation.
  • tina9988
    tina9988 Posts: 369
    Options
    Please don't let this bump interrupt your debating.
  • JoyousJustine67
    JoyousJustine67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This site is for support i see a lot of rude comments :( i don't say much cause i am who i am like it or not ♥ my thyroid has shut down i have CP had brain surgery and i can't exercise i struggle everyday just to do what most take for granted so if i eat less and it works i am doing it ..... shoot i use to eat all the time when i was younger never thought i would struggle as i got older. i change things up for me, we all walk in different lives i am not here to judge and the 2 friends i have on here have never judged me .........

I fast for God is that mean i am starving myself i think not Jesus didn't eat for 40 day NOW please dont bash me for that i am not saying i am doing that just am example i have lost over 30 lbs and trust me i worked hard to do it

I hope you all get to know people before you judge ♥♥♥ God Bless Everyone
  • huntindawg1962
    Options

Your body holds on to fat when you don't eat enough, this is how the skinny fat thing happens. It's loss of muscle mass. This is because your body is precieving there isn't enough food. Look at the most fitess, healthiest friends on MFP you have, i can promise you they eat a lot more than you think.

I would add that strength training is also key. Last time I did it I only did running. Lots of it. I am not an advocate of VLCD eating.
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    Alright, so you WILL drop weight if you're under your calorie goal (a healthy one)
    HOWEVER
    That does not make it healthy to go and try to starve yourself.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Like whoa really? a myth? good to know...I only had a 57 calorie breakfast today a 500 calorie lunch and I WAS STARVING ALL DAY....teach me to wake up late......Glad to know that the feeling i had was just a myth. LOL
  • RobboPam
    RobboPam Posts: 2
    Options
    My body has been in starvation mode, for many years. For a long time, my Sis would have to ask me, if I had eaten, to remind me to eat, most often I would ignore her. There is such a thing, I'm living proof. I suppose you would call it an eating disorder but the fact is, I put weight on.
    Sis saw my diary today and has already commented, I am not eating enough! Mind you, I have been skint for 3 weeks so shopping day tomorrow :happy: