success not eating back exercise calories

Options

Replies

• HavenIryxia
    HavenIryxia Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've eaten back my exercise calories back for 5 days and didn't lose an ounce. For the past year that is the only time I experimented with it and I have had more success not eating them back. I have lost a total of 52 lbs, and my mom has lost over 100 without eating her exercise calories back. Eating them back works for some people, but I have found that it doesn't work for me.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I lost 96 pounds last year(currently miantaing since late aug of 2011) and only ate back execise cals if really still hungry. My body took what it needed, and shed the weight it didn't need, and why eat if your not hungry??
  • kaikoi47
    kaikoi47 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i am using my FitBit which is connected to MFP. it would be INSANE for me to try and eat the calories my fitbit is telling me i am burning throughout the day. one day it told me i burned over 1000 calories. this is because i was at work and on my feet all day. i was going up and down stairs, running here and there, and just doing random things that accumulated into calories i did not know if i was burning or not. because of this, i don't' eat anything back really. i stay within my limit from MFP, and if i'm hungry, i will and am able to have that extra snack. i can put that sugar in my tea, i can have that chocolate fudge sundae once a week and not feel guilty because in the end, during the week it is all burned off. i try to only weigh myself once a month, which is at the end/beginning of the month, however your ant to see it. i am going to get weighed tomorrow and see how this has been working for me :D wish me luck. and good luck to YOU!
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat my exercise calories back unless I'm hungy. I figure I eat them all back on my once a week cheat meal!
  • traci2612
    Options
    I also never eat my exercise calories back. So far so good!!!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,905 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it would be OK to eat back exercise cals up to your maintenance level of cals. Just as sort of a guideline. I think that even with an HRM and fitbit, we tend to OVERESTIMATE calories. I know that on a good day, where I have biked, jogged, rode my horse, and give to the gym, I might use up around 400 cals working pretty hard!

Especially for us lighter weight, and shorter women, saying that we used up 1000-2000 exercise cals in one day is just inflated.

Just my thoughts. I think everyone has success with different trial and error methods.
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't unless I'm hungry and then I do. It has worked for me so far.

this is me! I try to break over my daily allowed but after that I don't worry too much if I don't eat back what I earned.... don't want to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry!!
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body and eat back calories if I am hungry. I have also gone over my calories. Balance is the key.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry-yes. If I'm not hungry then no. Has worked for me :happy:
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have just started slashing my exercise calories it says on her in half then typing that number in. Then only eating back that amount. I'm doing this mainly because I don't believe there estaments on how many calories I'm burning. On the other hand I'm also most likely not calculating portion sizes 100% correct either. So all considered that would throw it off. I feel its better to have a cushion that do all this work for nothing.
  • louiseecroney
    louiseecroney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat back my exercise calories. For me the thought of a bit of chocolate as a treat makes me swim that little bit harder. I have lost 53lbs since September so it clearly eating them back works for me. I say each to their own and whatever works for one may not for another.
  • SigneFL
    SigneFL Posts: 2
    Options
    "that's because "eating exercise calories" is specific to MFP"

and that's the problem right there with eating back your calories.

First of all, it's not specific to MFP, Sparkpeople does it too - it's why I quit using the site.

And the fact is that "eating back your calories" is not a proven concept. There is absolutely no research or studies you can point to that shows that it works.

A friend of mine, who is a *real* Registered Dietician specializing in sports nutrition, and who also happens to be a Certified Personal Trainer (she was actually a martial arts instructor in the Israeli army) and is a triathlete herself says this concept is ludicrous.

And until I see empirical studies saying otherwise, I'm going to stick with the experts and NOT "eat back" my exercise calories.
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    The way I look at it is, you are given say minimum 1400 calories to eat each day, which if you dont exercise, you will lose weight anyway because you are already running at a deficit (500 built in). If you exercised and burnt 500 calories you are now running at 900 calories giving yourself a 1000 calorie deficit. Far too much.

So because you have burned 500 and your deficit built in is already 500 there is 1000. You need to replace the 500 you burnt or close to it so that you will still lose the weight you have input into MFP. If you dont your metabolism will slow down and you wont burn as well as you had hoped and you wont lose like you want.

Does that make sense?

perfect sense, great response :-) yesterday I chose not to workout as I hadn't been able to get my normal calories in and it would have put me about net 700/800 cals and that's not good. But saying that on the days I do workout, if im not feeling that hungry, I try and get an extra protein shake in. I do not force myself to eat. So far i've lost 42lbs x
  • nlenz16
    nlenz16 Posts: 73
    Options
    I have lost 20 pounds since February, and I rarely eat back calories. If I do, it's maybe 100 calories back. It's been working for me so far!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    When i started my weightloss journey last year i never ate any of my excercise calories back! not even 1 of them! if i was hungry i would drink water! the number on the scales were comeing down each week and i lost alot of inches and came down 2 dress sizes! last few months, i have been eating my excercise cals back and its very rare if i lose 1lb! sometimes i even gain a little aswell! soo this is going to stop!

hope this helped :)
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I do if I'm hungry, if I'm not I dont worry about it.

this is the stance i'm taking! :)
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am interest to here from people who have had good losses not eating back their exercise calories! I wonder what the point is in doing loads to eat loads back - I run every day to help me be healthy and slim me down

For me, the point is this way I can have more appealing meals. If I tried to stick to 1300 a day, I would feel very deprived. If I exercise, I can eat bigger meals and also enjoy more calorie-dense foods.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    "that's because "eating exercise calories" is specific to MFP"

and that's the problem right there with eating back your calories.

First of all, it's not specific to MFP, Sparkpeople does it too - it's why I quit using the site.

And the fact is that "eating back your calories" is not a proven concept. There is absolutely no research or studies you can point to that shows that it works.

A friend of mine, who is a *real* Registered Dietician specializing in sports nutrition, and who also happens to be a Certified Personal Trainer (she was actually a martial arts instructor in the Israeli army) and is a triathlete herself says this concept is ludicrous.

And until I see empirical studies saying otherwise, I'm going to stick with the experts and NOT "eat back" my exercise calories.

BUT, if you don't eat your exercise cals then you should choose a higher activity level so you get more cals everyday that would account for average exercise in a week. So if you ahve a sedenary job and workout 5 days a week, put in active as activity level and don't eat back the cals, but if you choose sedenatary you should eat them back.

Most sites and profecssionals include exercise in your daily caloric intak, MFP ignrores exercise and only adds it in once you do. What this means is MFP's intake is much lower then what others would suggest, and if you don't eat the cals back you are not fueling your body properly.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The OP- 10stonemeplz has deactivated their account.
    But for those still looking for that answer, I think it is different for everyone. For me personally I wasn't seeing results with eating my calories back. Stopped doing that and weight is coming off and muscles are developing. Like I said, that is for me personally but I have also been told by several doctors that my metabolism is really low. It is what works for me.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I eat most of mine back because I care about my body composition more than I do about my weight. I worked very hard to build strength and muscle and I don't want to lose it. So I guess it depends on how you define "success". I eat enough to maintain athletic performance, which includes eating some exercise calories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!