Lost 14 pounds since Tuesday juicing!!!!

Options

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend watching Forks Over Knives for those posting who believe eating mostly fruit and vegetables is unhealthy.:)

you'll never change their minds.

But i do agree that the fiber from the foods you're juicing would be very beneficial, too. So maybe alternate a bit. Juice twice a day and eat whole/raw foods at least once. Remember in that movie those guys were under strict medical care.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    x
  • JoHo57
    JoHo57 Posts: 31
    Options
    To each his or her own, I suppose, but I'm one of these with "a lot of fat to lose," and I asked my doctor for guidance, not a documentary on Netflix, and I think it's safest for people looking to make real, lasting changes in their lives to first ask their doctor. Don't be surprised by major blow back when you float a fad diet on a forum on MFP.

doctors know very little on actual nutrition.
    This is so true! Way back in the day I earned my living as a certified nutritionist in Senior Living centers. The course was about eight months long, but very concentrated. I was amazed at the doctors who would call and ask me questions about diabetic diets. One doctor, an old family friend, told me he only spent about three days on nutrition when he was in college. Maybe it is different now, but I am sure they spend a lot more time on dealing with HMO communications than in the study of dietary science.
  • JoHo57
    JoHo57 Posts: 31
    Options
    Seriously, there is nothing wrong with juicing for a few days. I have done it for 48 hours, but no longer than that with good results. It kind of cleans you out of impurities. For me two days is plenty. If others want to do it, then they are going to and no amount of telling them not to is going to stop them.
    Lets face it...it has to be better than eating a Big Mac and an order of large salted fries!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Have fun gaining it back when you eat normal again. :/
  • valroys
    valroys Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Juicing is a way of getting all the healthy elements into your body and kick starting weight loss, it gives your body a break from overexurcion of processing and digesting, My goal is to eventually juice daily, but I hate, Hate, hate cleaning the darn juicer. So I juice periodically and try to eat lots of veg. Keep up the great plan and good luck on your journey,
  • dawnschrecengost66
    dawnschrecengost66 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    jlm962:

It would be nice if you could come to site like this, post something you were excited about and not get beat up by a bunch of judgmental people, each of whom knows the perfect path to absolute fitness. People tend to overlook a lot of facts because your way is not their way. Like the fact that you never said you lost 14 lbs of pure fat, or the fact that you never said you were going to do this forever because it's the only sustainable way to lose weight.

I've sat on both sides of this fence, and I say congratulations for taking a step in a direction you thought was important for your health. Weight loss and fitness is a journey of discovery that only you can undertake and guide. Feedback is an important part of that process, but I would ignore anyone who speaks in absolutes.

I did a "juice fast" for 30 days, mostly as cleansing experiment, not necessarily to lose weight. I drank 48 ounces of raw juice a day from fruits and vegetables (along with another 48 ounces of water and some cleansing teas) on weekdays and ate raw solid foods on the weekends. I felt excellent, had plenty of energy and was definitely not dehydrated. Nor did I waste away into nothingness, go into cardiac arrest or slip into a coma because I drank too much juice.

Overall I think I lost about 20 lbs in a month, which despite the arguments from the MFP juice slayers, was not water weight. Was it muscle? Maybe some of it. I think a good portion of it was eliminated wastes. It doesn't matter, because I wasn't concerned about losing weight.

I agree with the juice naysayers in saying that it's not a sustainable weight loss program. But, it was a great way for me to learn about my health and cleanse for awhile. It also taught me something about the unhealthy nature of many foods I'd been eating, and my will power and ability see a goal to its conclusion.

Yes, I now count my calories, exercise and generally fall in line with the juice haters on principles of weight loss and control. Unfortunately, when it comes to weight loss, they are right about the permanence and simplicity of diet and exercise. In fact, I don't juice at all.

Does that mean that your post deserved the flaming it got? Not in the slightest.

Congrats on your discovery! Keep moving in a positive direction and find something sustainable, because you're a hell of a lot better off than the tens of millions of other people who aren't paying attention at all. And, if you want to juice now and then, because you've found you feel better afterward, DO IT!

Well said.
  • darrinseats
    Options
    Like a lot of people, I don't see drinking juice as a problem as long as it is in moderation. A question though.... Advocates keep mentioning that it cleanses you of impurities. What impurities exactly?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor or any sort of health professional but this sounds like unhealthy and unsustainable weight loss to me. When you go back to regular eating patterns, I assume one would put the weight back on. I hope you've consulted your doctor ahead of time. :) Good luck.

This ^^^
  • amyannie
    amyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What's so unhealthy? She is taking REAL food that is pure and full of nutrients and just compressing it so she doesn't have to eat plates and plates of fruits and vegetables... What's not healthy is eating the chemicals in processed food!
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I thought the point of losing weight was to lose FAT and keep MUSCLE? And find a way to do it sustainably?
    ^^^^^^
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Not read the rest of the comments but OMG, 14lb in 5 days, how HEALTHY!!!!! Good luck with that :flowerforyou:
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to share that in only 5 days I have lost 14 pounds by drinking freshly made fruit and vegetable juice! The first few days are kind of hard, but I really feel that this is the best way to lose weight when you have quite a bit to lose. This is because you lose weight FAST, you heal your body and metabolism, you learn why you are eating in the first place, learn to eat when you are hungry and not for other reasons, I have read that your extra skin can be healed, or you simply don't get much if any when losing weight this healthy way! There are many many other reasons, too!

Sure, its hard, I love food! But losing weight is hard no matter HOW you do it, so why not take a certain period of time and drink healthy juice full of nutrients to get you back on track?

If you have netflix I recommend watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I had wanted to do a juice fast before but watching that documentary really inspired me!

Congratulations on a job well done! Wow! I watched the movie and it is amazing. I'm a big fan of juicing so I loved it. Keep us updated and good luck on your new journey to health!
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hey, whatever works for you. I have heard people having great results with juice fasts. My husband used to work for a theater and many of the actors used to swear by coffee colonics and some would go to 'Colon Camp' to lose weight fast. I think it is not so good for you. But if it works, stick with it. I wish you the best with it.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Fasting is NEVER a good idea. It's pointless.

Tell me about it!

And ya know what else? What about all those clowns that think the Earth is a sphere.

Good God! Doesn't everyone know if you sail too far out to sea you can fall of the edge?

:huh:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    ^^^ precisely
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    To each his or her own, I suppose, but I'm one of these with "a lot of fat to lose," and I asked my doctor for guidance, not a documentary on Netflix, and I think it's safest for people looking to make real, lasting changes in their lives to first ask their doctor. Don't be surprised by major blow back when you float a fad diet on a forum on MFP.

doctors know very little on actual nutrition.
    This is so true! Way back in the day I earned my living as a certified nutritionist in Senior Living centers. The course was about eight months long, but very concentrated. I was amazed at the doctors who would call and ask me questions about diabetic diets. One doctor, an old family friend, told me he only spent about three days on nutrition when he was in college. Maybe it is different now, but I am sure they spend a lot more time on dealing with HMO communications than in the study of dietary science.

^^^ precisely
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Not such a healthy way to lose weight. Look forward to gaining it back the minute you go back to real food.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor or any sort of health professional but this sounds like unhealthy and unsustainable weight loss to me. When you go back to regular eating patterns, I assume one would put the weight back on. I hope you've consulted your doctor ahead of time. :) Good luck.

This lady here took the words out of my mouth. I don't really see how juicing alone for a sustainable time period can be good for you. Fast weight loss generally means weight comes back, and I'm skeptical about how you can get all the nutrients you need. Obviously there's a time and a place for it, but as a long term diet, I don't really see how it can be healthy.
  • MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options
    Question about juicing: doesn't the act of running a whole food through a juice eliminate positive parts of the food, mainly the fiber? Isn't it better to eat the whole food? Not that juice isn't a delicious and healthful supplement to a healthy diet, but it's not the nutritionally the same as eating the fruit or vegetable, is it?