THE Scale (or lack thereof) Challenge (round 2)

Options

Replies

• rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a good challenge for those who obsess with the scale.

I, on the other hand, use the scale as a tool for keeping myself in check. I don't obsess over it like I did when I first started. I am very organized with tracking my food and so I can pretty much can guess if I will lose or gain or stay the same. I do weigh in every Wednesday morning but I never have the urge to do it more than that. I completely understand about water weight, fat vs. muscle and all that.

Good luck for those out there in keeping away from it.
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can do this. I want to, but just the fact that I'm doubting whether I can or not shows me that I am a TOTAL addict :embarassed:

Ok, I have not been logging in foods or exercise in a few weeks. Took some time off, but I still have those last few pounds to make it to my goal.

I will get back on track and join this challenge. No scale....:ohwell: It's just a month right? I know this will be a freeing experience.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    ho ... i dunno....

i do weight myself everyday, but like rem i dont stress over it, well, if i am still the same weight it will affect me for the first 5 min, then i totaly forget about it, if i lost, then i'm happy for a little longuer, but thats about it, i weight everyday because i'm a very organized person and like statistics, i really dont fuss over it, i dont see any problems with it, if anything, it helps me get up in the mornings ..lol.
    i dont calibrate my sucess solely on the scale, everytime i put on jeans on it makes me smile :happy:

its a good idea though, and hope everybody does well on it. :flowerforyou:
    may
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    This will be easy for me! I made my basement troll take the scale down to the basement so I wouldn't look at it and I will only be weighing in at the doctor's when I go there :drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I would but I broke my daily habit after reading some information on the National Weight Control Registry. For everyone that needs to loose weight you should explore this site.

75% of the members at nwcr weigh in once a week to "catch" a potential problem before they are gaining too much weight again.

My suggestion to all of you is to THROW out your home scale and use one at the gym or doctors office and make a stead fast rule. Mine is Sundays only and if I don't get to the gym on Sunday I don't weigh in again until the next Sunday. I tried the month without a scale and it was not a happy ending for me.

Just get rid of the home scale, it's liberating and takes the temptation to weigh everyday, every morning, every night or all away instantly!

For those of you joining, I hope it works for you, it didn't work for me but the above has. We all need to find what works for us and leave it to Banks to always throw some interesting things our way! :wink:
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Doo Dah:flowerforyou:
    Bumpity AAAAYE
    Jumped on the bad scale:devil: (last time for a month)
    And what did It say?
    U R up 2 Pounds:grumble:
    I say NO WAY:noway:
    Good Bye U Evil Thing:devil:
    See U In May :drinker:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Bumpity AAAAYE
    And what did It say?

LOL, that's awesome! Cmon People, no more stories about why you WON'T join, I want people who CAN!
    (Mind you, I'm psyched for all you guys that don't need it, but i'm looking for participation here.)
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Bumpity AAAAYE
    And what did It say?

LOVE IT:flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    So Banks...........if I agree to this challenge and if after a month I don't feel significantly better and don't see at least a decent loss....do I have your permission to do a spinning heel kick on YOUR HEAD instead of the scale???????? LOL!! (Jackie Chan style of course!)
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'M IN !!!! :drinker:
  • banks1850
    Options
    So Banks...........if I agree to this challenge and if after a month I don't feel significantly better and don't see at least a decent loss....do I have your permission to do a spinning heel kick on YOUR HEAD instead of the scale???????? LOL!! (Jackie Chan style of course!)

You'd probably have to wait in line. :tongue:

BUT

That's not why we're doing it, we're doing it to break the addiction, not to see loss. Put it this way, if it's not happening, the scale is only pointing that out, not changing it for you. If you're doing everything you should be, it'll happen.
    See, my theory is this, seeing no loss after 1 or 2 or 3 days can a) stress you, which, in many people can cause either emotional eating or depression. Both of which can contribute to a lapse in weight loss. And b) cause you to micro manage your eating and exercise which isn't a very good way to change how you live.
  • wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i'm in for this one ( i don't have a scale so i only weigh myself when i'm at my mom' s). i don't like the scale anyway! i would rather see the results on me and in my clothing! i like measuring.:smile: like someone else said i don't care about the number i weigh, nobody knows it anyhow. i just casre that i look and feel good! plus since i've been working out more the scale won't really help if i gain muscle. but lose fat, right?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Remember....Good things happen for those who wait.:flowerforyou:
  • juleep007
    juleep007 Posts: 12
    Options
    Dawn and I plan on doing this too. Thanks for the advice.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    do I have your permission to do a spinning heel kick on YOUR HEAD instead of the scale???????? LOL!! (Jackie Chan style of course!)

Me first! lol, really Banks usually has some good ideas and quite honestly it wont hurt to try it, it might be the thing that gets someone out of a rut and motivated to keep going and others might learn they need a little more monitoring. I'll be interested in seeing the results! good luck everyone :drinker:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    omg LOL....I have two bathroom scales....digital and reg...o'skool I guess lol

I get on every morning same time same bat channel and it makes me nuts!

the digital broke so I said I'm not using the other until I get it working...so I guess I;ll join in but I know I'll be jonesing for my morning weigh in!

....okay I'm in....hi my name is Ali, I'm a scale addict! sigh

hugs!
    Ali
  • banks1850
    Options
    This is what I'm talking about! OK folks, tomorrow morning, I'm gonna post my first entry, feel free to follow up, or not, either way, as long as you aren't looking then it's fine. In the mean time, I'm gonna try to find the first post that I posted about this. I so wish I had database access fro times like this.

found it. here is the original challenge. from the fall last year.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1469-i-challenge-all-of-you?page=1

wow, meeeemmmoriesssss...
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I haven't owned a scale in almost 20 years. I used the one at the gym and was weighing once a week, until nutitionist told me that a scale can be off due to hormones, water, sodium, etc. So I decided to measure body fat%, then was told the digital ones can be off by 5%(A huge amount when were'talking body fat%), so then I thought I'd do the calipers and those can be off by as much as 4%. SOOOOO, now I measure myself to see if inches have been lost, not very often though.
    I am proud to say I am using my clothes as my guide, if they fit or become loose than I'm good, if they start to feel tight I need to eat better. I sometimes allow myself to get caught up on a stupid number and if I read that Mariah Carey(or whoever) weighs 117 lbs. I think I need to be that weight too,.however it never occured to me that 117 might be embellished a bit.
    I think keeping your eye on x amount of pounds to lose can be very detrimental for many people. Focusing on fitness and health might be a better way to look at it.
    To wrap it up,
    I agree totally: Get rid of the #$$%%^$#@ scale!!!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm talking about! OK folks, tomorrow morning, I'm gonna post my first entry, feel free to follow up, or not, either way, as long as you aren't looking then it's fine. In the mean time, I'm gonna try to find the first post that I posted about this. I so wish I had database access fro times like this.

found it. here is the original challenge. from the fall last year.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1469-i-challenge-all-of-you?page=1

wow, meeeemmmoriesssss...
    Oh wow... that goes a little while back huh?:indifferent:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I am just scared that I won't know how my body is doing based on what I am doing to it and if I should change something, you know? If I don't weigh and at least use it for a guideline, I don't want to get on in a month and have a crappy weigh in because I wasn't changing things up. I don't know. I took a 2 week break and it led to a crappy weigh in....so I am just REALLY not sure about this. :(