how without upsetting her do i...

Options

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You don't say anything..you do. Cook her a healthy meal, if you eat out choose places with healthier dishes. Plan dates for healthier activities..maybe ones that push her just a tiny bit and maybe get the gym thing to be her idea. Just include her in your new, healthier lifestyle.

this.

if it comes from genuine care and concern, go for it, but if it's for your own benefit then reconsider who you're with.

Both of these :)
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Show a before picture and comment on how she still looks the same. She'll say "that's BS, I'm overweight". Then you chime in a say, "If you feel that way, we would make it a goal together to lose some weight."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    This!!
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't bring up her weight. As sad as it is to say, women don't respond well to it. And if you even say anything she will feel attacked, which won't help.

If you really, seriously, think her health is at risk you need to phrase it as "I love you, everything about you, and I want you around for a long time."

But if her health isn't in serious jeapordy I would just let it be, and tell her that you would love for her to join you in some activities like the gym.

From experience I can tell you, I have never been motivated to get in shape or lose weight from people critizing.... It is only when I have felt complacent and comfortable that I found the strength to change things.

Good luck

I agree with you- especially the last part. People criticizing me made me upset, which made me eat more and resent them. I have only been able to lose weight by being happy with myself and knowing the people around me love me for who I am and don't just love me if I get skinny. OP- that's important, take some of these suggestions- like cooking healthy foods or having physically active dates and see where they go. If all it is for you is aesthetics and you aren't actually concerned for her health, but just want a hot gf- do you really love her for her? I'm sure she knows she has gained weight, she just needs a little direction without being told she's getting fat.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Dont' say a word just put gorgeous pictures on the fridge.

Gorgeous pictures of large elephants, hippopotamuses (see my avatar), whales, you name it, just slowly gather a million on the fridge. :D
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    just don't do it man. this happened with me and my ex boyfriend. he literally ruined my self-image and made me hate him. i was never intimate with him ever again after he made comments about my weight.
  • Lab2809
    Lab2809 Posts: 58
    Options
    Don't bring up her weight. As sad as it is to say, women don't respond well to it. And if you even say anything she will feel attacked, which won't help.

If you really, seriously, think her health is at risk you need to phrase it as "I love you, everything about you, and I want you around for a long time."

But if her health isn't in serious jeapordy I would just let it be, and tell her that you would love for her to join you in some activities like the gym.

From experience I can tell you, I have never been motivated to get in shape or lose weight from people critizing.... It is only when I have felt complacent and comfortable that I found the strength to change things.

Good luck

I agree with you- especially the last part. People criticizing me made me upset, which made me eat more and resent them. I have only been able to lose weight by being happy with myself and knowing the people around me love me for who I am and don't just love me if I get skinny. OP- that's important, take some of these suggestions- like cooking healthy foods or having physically active dates and see where they go. If all it is for you is aesthetics and you aren't actually concerned for her health, but just want a hot gf- do you really love her for her? I'm sure she knows she has gained weight, she just needs a little direction without being told she's getting fat.

Perfectly said. :happy:
  • led6777
    Options
    Show a before picture and comment on how she still looks the same. She'll say "that's BS, I'm overweight". Then you chime in a say, "If you feel that way, we would make it a goal together to lose some weight."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this is actually a great idea. i guess if you're going to do it, you have to get her to say it instead of you.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    holy cow ladies - if you let men control your self esteem you're going to be absolutely stuffed for the rest of your lives.

Where did feminism go? Did it melt and slide down the plughole while i was not watching?

If you can't handle criticism, how on earth do you dish it out? Or do you never criticise anyone? Do you eat your anger?

lol. Lighten up darlings.

as to the op - apart from the pics of animals on the fridge, you can get these really cool animals, like cows, that when you turn them upside down adn then upside up again, they moooooo, or baaaaaa. Get a cow one. When she least expects it... let 'er rip!

:D:D
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ha ha!! I think My boyfriend actaully did this to me!!! Except without the conversation. He says things like ' shall we go for a walk?' I woudl say 'ermmm . . . . don't really feel like it' 'do we have to?' 'can't be bothered' etc and he would do the sad face and say things like 'but I like walking wih you' 'its good for us' 'it woudl help me out'. And sure enough we would go for a walk. As soon as I started to see the pounds come off I was hooked and now I exercise each morning - just started 30DS!

Anyway - good luck!!!!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You don't say anything..you do. Cook her a healthy meal, if you eat out choose places with healthier dishes. Plan dates for healthier activities..maybe ones that push her just a tiny bit and maybe get the gym thing to be her idea. Just include her in your new, healthier lifestyle.

Listen to this and to marybowen. If you say things like 'You've put on weight', 'You're not as healthy as you used to be', 'You eat crap', she will be upset, offended and probably won't listen to you. Do you want to hurt her feelings? If you're going for a run or to the gym, invite her, or plan a hike together. Cook healthy dinners to eat together.

She won't respond well to comments about her appearance, even if she thinks they're true. I know I wouldn't have if my boyfriend had said anything to me when I was at my heaviest. Instead, I figured it out for myself. I got a gym membership and started eating better by myself. When I told my boyfriend what I was doing, he would suggest healthy meals we could make and we now run together. The difference is, I did this by myself. You can't just expect your girlfriend to get healthier because you want her to. She has to want to as well.
  • cimonroe
    cimonroe Posts: 36
    Options
    You find a new girlfriend. You can't make someone like the same things you like and do the same things you do. Love her for who she is or find someone new.
    I'm a vegetarian and my husband isn't. I've never tried to push my eating habits on him. I love him for who he is.

While I agree that you should love someone else for who they are, her eating habits and exercise habits are NOT who she is. They are her habits. I def wouldn't mention her weight and take the DO approach. There's nothing wrong with wanting a healthier lifestyle for someone you care for.
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I agree with this completely!!! Great idea! :)
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

^^^^^ this all the way!!
  • led6777
    Options
    holy cow ladies - if you let men control your self esteem you're going to be absolutely stuffed for the rest of your lives.

Where did feminism go? Did it melt and slide down the plughole while i was not watching?

If you can't handle criticism, how on earth do you dish it out? Or do you never criticise anyone? Do you eat your anger?

lol. Lighten up darlings.

as to the op - apart from the pics of animals on the fridge, you can get these really cool animals, like cows, that when you turn them upside down adn then upside up again, they moooooo, or baaaaaa. Get a cow one. When she least expects it... let 'er rip!

:D:D

I'm actually a Gender and Sexuality Studies major and a well-versed feminist; regardless, I cared a lot about him and he therefore had the power to make me feel bad about myself. That's (partially) why I dumped the *kitten*.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a similar problem but its with my husband, I constantly hear "I need to do something about my belly" but still does not want to do anything about it, he eats a lot of junk and has probably venturing 3/4 people servings but if I try to say anything I feel guilty, I can't help but think what if he was living healthier loosing weight and I was in the same position I was in last year how would I feel?? Devastated!! I have managed to get my hubby to the swimming pool once a week and he is loving it but I didn't force it on him while there he also mentions his belly and tells me that he might join his friend at the gym one day a week. I think you can point in the right direction but I think it would be pretty hurtfull to say it.
  • Zara150
    Zara150 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just tell her you wanna workout and it would be motivating and fun if she did it with you !
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Come on guys. Us women are not demons you know. Tell her straight and erm, R.I.P. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Tkwild
    Tkwild Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ha ha!! I think My boyfriend actaully did this to me!!! Except without the conversation. He says things like ' shall we go for a walk?' I woudl say 'ermmm . . . . don't really feel like it' 'do we have to?' 'can't be bothered' etc and he would do the sad face and say things like 'but I like walking wih you' 'its good for us' 'it woudl help me out'. And sure enough we would go for a walk. As soon as I started to see the pounds come off I was hooked and now I exercise each morning - just started 30DS!

Anyway - good luck!!!!

This is exactly how it should be done, you have a total gem there!
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't know how successful it will be...telling someone they need to workout and lose weight.

Everyone knows they need to eat better, exercise and generally take care of their body, but I believe a person has to come to the decision and possibly even the realization on their own.

I'm trying to get my husband to exercise and eat better, too. We've both put on weight, but I've never been quite as sedentary as he is. I worry about him being around and healthy and able to be active in 20 years. I've tried telling him that this, but he just says, "I know, I should work out." But, he doesn't.

So, I'm working out more. I invite him to workout with me after work. I don't buy junk food for the house and cook more often and better foods. We play on a volleyball team together. Now that spring is here - I suggest outdoor activities on the weekends.

It depends on your relationship with her, but I would say: be the example, find fun activities to do together, try to set a shared goal, and keep the conversations about it light and without pressure. In a nutshell: No one likes to be pressured and everyone likes to be inspired.
  • Tkwild
    Tkwild Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Come on guys. Us women are not demons you know. Tell her straight and erm, R.I.P. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If you're looking for a way to commit suicide, wait til she dresses up and say "wow, your *kitten* looks fat in that".