Carbs/Sugar don't make you fat.

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Sorry but you're lying. 1200 cal a day and gained 20lbs? ROFL. Mmmm...yea. You'd be the first in all of mankind. ;-)

Not lying, and now I am being personally attacked. but then I forget everything in the world you all live in is only true if you believe it.

The only person I've seen make a personal attack in this entire thread is you.
  • superstankazz
    Options

PCOS changes the calories out side of the equation. That's what all metabolic disorders do. A healthy person may burn 2000 calories a day, but a person with a metabolic disorder may only burn 1400 calories a day. But there is no way to know that, without actual metabolic testing.

That's why one person can eat 1500 calories a day and lose weight no problem, and another person can eat 1500 calories a day and gain. It doesn't mean calories in/calories out doesn't work, it just means calories out is being changed due to a disease.
    I am insulin resistant with PCOS as for calories in and out I ate low fat high carb 1200cal a day and gained 20 lbs, ate 1800cal high protiend low carb and lost 20lbs so there goes your theory.

Sorry but you're lying. 1200 cal a day and gained 20lbs? ROFL. Mmmm...yea. You'd be the first in all of mankind. ;-)
    You have no right to call her a liar! You have absolutely NO knowledge of PCOS or how it affects metabolism and insulin! You are rude AND uneducated on this subject!
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bunchofhamsters.gif
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    AH! now i can eat my wonderbread and blueberry jelly preserves in peace without worrying about my belly getting bloated (NOT). if abs are made in the kitchen, you cant be eating gum balls and carbs all day
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eating too much.....(more than your maintenance) regardless of macronutrient composition makes you fat. Just had to throw this out there.

Seriously? Sugar... one of the main contributers to belly fat,you will rarely find someone with beautiful ABS consuming high quantities of sugar daily,added/fruits/ect. As for carbs,good carbs are needed but bad carbs will cause unwanted effects on the body in most cases.

There are lots of people on here that eat sugar/fruit/ice cream and have great abs.

I suppose it's possible but improbable and you wouldn't be healthy, as per Cordain or Wolf and their Paleo books, humans are not fully adapted to dairy, so eating ice cream is not a very good idea

No you're right, it's a terrible idea. Which is why I gained back all of my 28 lbs lost in the space of 2 days. Damn greek yogurt!

It sounds about right and I really hope you didn't add fruit to it or the fructose from the fruit + the lactose in the yogurt would have been a double whammy of unhealthyness
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    rundnround.gif
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Not lying, and now I am being personally attacked. but then I forget everything in the world you all live in is only true if you believe it.

You do understand that you burn more than 1200 calories a day in your sleep right? Unless of course you're a toddler and/or someone who's about 3ft tall and weighs about 50lbs or so?
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I somewhat agree with the OP. I was working at a pizza shop and literally lived off a pizza, bread sticks, chicken wings, and TONS of soda (Pepsi), 6 days a week, every week.

I have always been a little "chubby" and have to be careful what I eat because I WILL gain. But when I was working there, I busted my butt and the weight FLEW OFF without me even trying!! And when I say I ate that crap all day, I am not exaggerating.

Once I quit the job and kept eating the same way, I gained very quickly.

Now, everybody is different. But for me, it's not really WHAT I eat, but how much of it that is most important.

This is def. not a healthy way to loose weight, and not the answer, but it did work without me even trying.

Now that I am actually watching what I eat (more amount then what it is), I find it much harder for the weight to come off.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Eating too much.....(more than your maintenance) regardless of macronutrient composition makes you fat. Just had to throw this out there.
    Do yourself a favor and google "Insulin Resistance"! Carbs and sugar ABSOLUTELY DO make some people fat! Just had to throw THAT out there:)
    This would make sense, except high protein and high fat diets also contribute to insulin resistance.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/145544.php

Insulin resistance is a symptom of obesity, and there are hundreds, if not thousands of causes for it, it's not just sugar and carbs.

Oh, and that link came from a Google search for Insulin Resistance. So, if you're going to tell other people to google it, you may want to take your own advice.

Then how do you get insulin resistance with the absence of obesity?
    You don't. You don't have to be overweight according to BMI to have obese levels of body fat. Insulin resistance happens when there is excess fat in the blood stream that prevents insulin receptors from receiving insulin. It can also be tracked, measured, and predicted by the amounts of free fatty acids and branched-chain amino acids in the blood stream.

see, that is interesting, because I have insulin resistance no matter how much I weigh. sorry.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options

You do understand that you burn more than 1200 calories a day in your sleep right? Unless of course you're a toddler and/or someone who's about 3ft tall and weighs about 50lbs or so?
    I understand completely what happened, seems most others here do not. I lived it.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

PCOS changes the calories out side of the equation. That's what all metabolic disorders do. A healthy person may burn 2000 calories a day, but a person with a metabolic disorder may only burn 1400 calories a day. But there is no way to know that, without actual metabolic testing.

That's why one person can eat 1500 calories a day and lose weight no problem, and another person can eat 1500 calories a day and gain. It doesn't mean calories in/calories out doesn't work, it just means calories out is being changed due to a disease.
    I am insulin resistant with PCOS as for calories in and out I ate low fat high carb 1200cal a day and gained 20 lbs, ate 1800cal high protiend low carb and lost 20lbs so there goes your theory.

You have no right to call her a liar! You have absolutely NO knowledge of PCOS or how it affects metabolism and insulin! You are rude AND uneducated on this subject!

I do understand how PCOS works. I also understand how hyperthyroidism works. I also understand how the law of thermogenics work. I understand, researched and have knowledge about a many different things in the nutrition world.

PCOS does not defy the laws of energy balance in ways she was describing.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and google "Insulin Resistance"! Carbs and sugar ABSOLUTELY DO make some people fat! Just had to throw THAT out there:)
    This would make sense, except high protein and high fat diets also contribute to insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance is a symptom of obesity, and there are hundreds, if not thousands of causes for it, it's not just sugar and carbs.

Oh, and that link came from a Google search for Insulin Resistance. So, if you're going to tell other people to google it, you may want to take your own advice.

You don't. You don't have to be overweight according to BMI to have obese levels of body fat. Insulin resistance happens when there is excess fat in the blood stream that prevents insulin receptors from receiving insulin. It can also be tracked, measured, and predicted by the amounts of free fatty acids and branched-chain amino acids in the blood stream.

see, that is interesting, because I have insulin resistance no matter how much I weigh. sorry.

Where was weight mentioned in the response? Nowhere. "You don't have to be overweight according to BMI to have OBESE LEVELS OF BODY FAT."
  • Apa93
    Apa93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately people don't seem to realise MFP is an internet forum and not a medical/scientific/biological community. People are going to have no idea what on earth they're talking about and are just going to agree with the first article they read on the subject. It's similar to the ridiculous hype given on here to "starvation mode." The way some things are portrayed on here are laughable.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Where was weight mentioned in the response? Nowhere. "You don't have to be overweight according to BMI to have OBESE LEVELS OF BODY FAT."

oh for goodness sake, this doesn't even make sense. When I was underweight from having mono, I did not have obese levels of body fat by ANY definition, but guess what, I still had insulin resistance. it DOES NOT MATTER how much I weigh. I am sure that in some cases, obesity can cause insulin resistance. But sometimes, the IR is already there.
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump some fun reading for later! lol
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    540022_10150671130211275_177486166274_9779055_939435417_n.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I do understand how PCOS works. I also understand how hyperthyroidism works. I also understand how the law of thermogenics work. I understand, researched and have knowledge about a many different things in the nutrition world.

PCOS does not defy the laws of energy balance in ways she was describing.

Not taking sides here, but this argument could simply be semantics. Specifically weight gain vs fat gain.

I know that once a month I can (and often do) gain 5-7 lbs due to nothing other than hormones causing water retention. For someone with a disease that plays havoc with hormones, I don't see it outside the realm of possibility to gain 20 lbs of water weight over time. And water weight may have nothing to do with calories. The changes in macro counts in the diet might have regulated the hormones, thus easing water retention and showing a weight loss even though more calories are consumed.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options

For some people they do. In MY case, it was a complete hormonal imbalance that began as a result of low everything BUT carbs. As a child, my parents did what they knew to do, which was just make sure I had *food*. Them giving me food that was void of ALL nutrition is the *suspected* cause. However, once it was developed, sugar and carbs are not processed properly by the body and the generally corresponding high testosterone levels cause the weight to be centered in your abdomen, like in most overweight men. So, no, they don't GIVE you the insulin resistance, but once you have it, the only way to correct the problem is being cautious of your carbs, their source, sugar content, etc.

Insulin resistance CAN be a symptom of obesity, but obesity can also be a symptom of insulin resistance. I was a beanpole kid. I was a competitive gymnast and swimmer. Hormones hit and in the course of a year I grew to a size 16 women's. Perhaps you should do your own homework, as well.
  • Logicalpoots
    Options
    This place is no better than any other internet forum, full of bullies, know-it-alls, and trolls. There is NO one size fits all way to eat. NONE. Anyone who tells you there is is trying to sell something, if only their own competence regarding diet and nutrition. Food science can be barely said to be in its infancy and yet everyone wants to claim to have the only answer already without any real science behind it. Troll on, people. Troll on.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Processed carbs and refined sugars do me BAD. Oatmeal is okay but even bread is hard to have without my insulin or craving going bananas and making me eat ALL the things.