Carbs/Sugar don't make you fat.

Options

Replies

• galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Then how do you get insulin resistance with the absence of obesity?
    You don't. You don't have to be overweight according to BMI to have obese levels of body fat. Insulin resistance happens when there is excess fat in the blood stream that prevents insulin receptors from receiving insulin. It can also be tracked, measured, and predicted by the amounts of free fatty acids and branched-chain amino acids in the blood stream.

[/quote]

Uhm. no. I have an insulin resistance and am not obese or even overweight anymore. I was not when I was diagnosed either. It was measured by the glucose tolerance test. It measured how the body reacted to the presence of the glucose in the blood. It had nothing to do with fat at all.......
  • allyg38
    allyg38 Posts: 17
    Options
    agree. i have pcos and that includes insulin resistance and it certainly makes u pile it on even when ur diet hasnt changed
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

PCOS changes the calories out side of the equation. That's what all metabolic disorders do. A healthy person may burn 2000 calories a day, but a person with a metabolic disorder may only burn 1400 calories a day. But there is no way to know that, without actual metabolic testing.

That's why one person can eat 1500 calories a day and lose weight no problem, and another person can eat 1500 calories a day and gain. It doesn't mean calories in/calories out doesn't work, it just means calories out is being changed due to a disease.
    I am insulin resistant with PCOS as for calories in and out I ate low fat high carb 1200cal a day and gained 20 lbs, ate 1800cal high protiend low carb and lost 20lbs so there goes your theory.

Sorry but you're lying. 1200 cal a day and gained 20lbs? ROFL. Mmmm...yea. You'd be the first in all of mankind. ;-)
    You have no right to call her a liar! You have absolutely NO knowledge of PCOS or how it affects metabolism and insulin! You are rude AND uneducated on this subject!

While it affects metabolism, it doesn't cause one to gain weight eating 1200 calories and lose weight eating 1800 calories regardless of the macros. There is more to this story than she is telling. Probably the binges while on the 1200 calorie diet that she didn't go on when eating 1800 calories.

It's as others have said PCOS causes your metabolism to lower. You have to eat less than another person of your size in order to lose weight, but weight loss remains the same. You don't gain if you are eating less than you are burning.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You don't. You don't have to be overweight according to BMI to have obese levels of body fat. Insulin resistance happens when there is excess fat in the blood stream that prevents insulin receptors from receiving insulin. It can also be tracked, measured, and predicted by the amounts of free fatty acids and branched-chain amino acids in the blood stream.

Uhm. no. I have an insulin resistance and am not obese or even overweight anymore. I was not when I was diagnosed either. It was measured by the glucose tolerance test. It measured how the body reacted to the presence of the glucose in the blood. It had nothing to do with fat at all.......
    [/quote]

It had to do with the amount of fat in your blood, not how "fat" you were. You do not have to be obese to have fat in your blood. Or it was a genetic issue. Both cause this. Not carbs.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I swear I must be the only one on here who can EASILY go over calories with healthy foods? Most consisting of meat, veggies, and fruit?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

PCOS changes the calories out side of the equation. That's what all metabolic disorders do. A healthy person may burn 2000 calories a day, but a person with a metabolic disorder may only burn 1400 calories a day. But there is no way to know that, without actual metabolic testing.

That's why one person can eat 1500 calories a day and lose weight no problem, and another person can eat 1500 calories a day and gain. It doesn't mean calories in/calories out doesn't work, it just means calories out is being changed due to a disease.
    I am insulin resistant with PCOS as for calories in and out I ate low fat high carb 1200cal a day and gained 20 lbs, ate 1800cal high protiend low carb and lost 20lbs so there goes your theory.

Sorry but you're lying. 1200 cal a day and gained 20lbs? ROFL. Mmmm...yea. You'd be the first in all of mankind. ;-)
    You have no right to call her a liar! You have absolutely NO knowledge of PCOS or how it affects metabolism and insulin! You are rude AND uneducated on this subject!

While it affects metabolism, it doesn't cause one to gain weight eating 1200 calories and lose weight eating 1800 calories regardless of the macros. There is more to this story than she is telling. Probably the binges while on the 1200 calorie diet that she didn't go on when eating 1800 calories.

It's as others have said PCOS causes your metabolism to lower. You have to eat less than another person of your size in order to lose weight, but weight loss remains the same. You don't gain if you are eating less than you are burning.

Finally. Someone in this thread (besides ACG and SS of course) with some knowledge and understanding of how energy balance works.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Eating too much.....(more than your maintenance) regardless of macronutrient composition makes you fat. Just had to throw this out there.

Seriously? Sugar... one of the main contributers to belly fat,you will rarely find someone with beautiful ABS consuming high quantities of sugar daily,added/fruits/ect. As for carbs,good carbs are needed but bad carbs will cause unwanted effects on the body in most cases.

There are lots of people on here that eat sugar/fruit/ice cream and have great abs.

I suppose it's possible but improbable and you wouldn't be healthy, as per Cordain or Wolf and their Paleo books, humans are not fully adapted to dairy, so eating ice cream is not a very good idea

damn, I knew I was doing something wrong. I must go home and toss all my turkey hill because it is definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, not working for me *sobs*
  • galegetsthin
    Options
    It is not just the metabolism.

If I eat 600 calories of carbs, and 600 calories of protein, my body does not treat them the same. The carbs should be converted to energy, but only 20% of them are (roughly). The rest of them, my body stores. Then, because I have not had the same energy burst or sugar rush, because the insulin has flooded my system and kept me from using them properly, I am starving 20 minutes later.

I have worked very closely with a nutritionist, endocrinologist and trainer to lose a total of over 180 lbs by using this principle of being careful of the carbs I consume. I still have a lot of carbs. I try to get them from more natural sources, and sometimes get unhealthy ones in too........ but to say that "it only works like this", when it is a condition with hundreds of causes and even more effects is ignorant and perpetuates the problem instead of bringing attention to it and helping people cope with it.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

If I eat 600 calories of carbs, and 600 calories of protein, my body does not treat them the same. The carbs should be converted to energy, but only 20% of them are (roughly). The rest of them, my body stores. Then, because I have not had the same energy burst or sugar rush, because the insulin has flooded my system and kept me from using them properly, I am starving 20 minutes later.

I have worked very closely with a nutritionist, endocrinologist and trainer to lose a total of over 180 lbs by using this principle of being careful of the carbs I consume. I still have a lot of carbs. I try to get them from more natural sources, and sometimes get unhealthy ones in too........ but to say that "it only works like this", when it is a condition with hundreds of causes and even more effects is ignorant and perpetuates the problem instead of bringing attention to it and helping people cope with it.

Sigh. I give up.
    Options
    I eat over 200g of carbs a day (sometimes 300g) and lots of sugar usually. At 118 sure seems like makes no difference here :P
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I swear I must be the only one on here who can EASILY go over calories with healthy foods? Most consisting of meat, veggies, and fruit?

No, not the only one.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    and how many of you have degrees in health, medicine or nutrition? by putting out a blanket statement and saying it fits all, yes you are personally attacking someone it does not apply to. yes I do get angry that for those struggling that your blanket statement doesn't apply to, they may give up thinking what you have said is the only way. it is not and there is research out there to prove it, everyone that has brought up that research with name or book you have made fun of or attacked that as not being true either. what I disagree with is putting out a blanket statement without your own degree and published research to back up , so I am no more guilty of just giving my opinions then any of the rest of you.

Saying everyone who doesn't agree with me is stupid and needs to stfu is a personal attack

Saying that science has proven that the human body works in a specific manner is information. Granted this manner may be contrary to 1%, 5%, 10% of the population (for example I have allergies so there are specific foods that my body doesn't process efficiently setting me apart from the norm), but that doesn't make it a personal attack it makes it an exception to the general rule.

Edit: and honestly it's not what my body does or doesn't do with the food and the calories, it's the reaction of my immune system to inflammatory foods.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I just want to lose weight dammit...
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is funny.
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options

not everybody has a good metabolism - most people can get away with eating whatever...not me...with hypothyroid, hyperinsulism, and insulin sensitivity I struggle daily. A portion of pasta puts me out cold...seriously- there is no way I can help falling asleep. I eat small amounts of slow carbs and feel much better! Congrats on your weight loss!
    Options

No, not the only one.

*high five*
    I have done it several times really xD
  • galegetsthin
    Options

It had to do with the amount of fat in your blood, not how "fat" you were. You do not have to be obese to have fat in your blood. Or it was a genetic issue. Both cause this. Not carbs.
    [/quote]

As a 10 year old, competitive swimmer and gymnast that didnt even weigh 65 lbs, I had no issues with that. Lipid panels were also done. The carbs did not CAUSE the insulin resistance. That is not what I said at all.......

In my case, it was a suspected magnesium and calcium deficiency that caused the hormonal levels to be off that caused the insulin resistance. But the argument was made previously that Insulin resistance is a symptom of obesity. That is NOT the case. However I came about to HAVE it, the carbs and processed sweets are what caused the extreme obesity. Yes, I ate too much. Because the carbs were not being processed correctly and my body did not use them all, I stored a lot of them and did gain weight that was extreme. I was 342 lbs. I didn't ever eat super bad. Sweets were my downfall. Until we got the insulin resistance diagnosed and began treatment.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most people know this. But people aren't getting fat from eating too much raw veggies.

This is hard to argue against......
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Believe what you want. But I will bet you anything that if you look at the people with 6 packs, or look at any fitness site/mag (like bodybuilding.com or Oxygen), you will see that it is critical to clean up the diet - eliminate processed foods, esp. those high in sugar (and refined flours/pasta etc are included in that).

At the end of the day, it is true that you will NOT look the same if you eat 1200 cal/day of junk vs. 1200 cal/day of REAL food. I speak from first hand experience, too.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I just want to lose weight dammit...

LOL ME TOO!!!!!!