dry cleaner forgot to charge- what would you do?

Options
kelseyhere
kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
The company I work at offers a pick-up and delivery dry cleaning service from a place in the area every Monday and Thursday. I've used this dry cleaner in the past (over a year ago) at their store location, but never did the pick-up/drop-off. Last Thursday I decided I would try it. I called the cleaners to find out how it works, and the lady said she would call me after they picked-up the clothes with the price, and that I could give her my credit card number over the phone. She asked that I staple a piece of paper to the bag with my phone number and contact information, so I did. She didn't want to take my credit card then because they have to look at the clothes first to see what to charge it as, and she didn't want me to write the credit card number on the paper for privacy. Well, they never called and I've already got my clothes back (they were dropped off at my office today). I noticed on the ticket they have my old phone number listed (probably from when I came into the store a year ago) but that number is now disconnected. I attached a sheet with my current cell phone number to the bag of clothes (as the cleaner employee requested), so my question for you all is... would you call them and pay? I wasn't planning on it because if you ask me, they screwed up. I did everything they asked, they are just too stupid to call the new number I gave them and are probably calling the old number. Obviously if they really wanted payment they could ask my company how to get in touch with me, so I know I'm not in the clear. But if this happened to you, would you take it upon yourself to pay or just enjoy your clean clothes? Feel free to justify your response.

Replies

• mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would call and pay but that's because I'm a Christian and I would feel guilty if I didn't.
  • TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would pay. If someone performs a service for me they should get paid for it.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    .. would you call them and pay? I wasn't planning on it because if you ask me, they screwed up. I did everything they asked, they are just too stupid to call the new number I gave them and are probably calling the old number. Obviously if they really wanted payment they could ask my company how to get in touch with me, so I know I'm not in the clear. But if this happened to you, would you take it upon yourself to pay or just enjoy your clean clothes? Feel free to justify your response.

I would go in and pay (victim of identity theft). You say "they screwed up". Yes, they neglected to charge you, but they did the service you requested. You owe them for that service. Because they made a human mistake in not charging you doesn't change that. Besides, Karma bites. And God knows all - it's not worth the $$. Act responsibly and pay what you owe. You asked for opinions. this is mine.......and yes, I'm one of those who always gives it back when they give you back too much in change........which sometimes is VERY hard to do - I realize that.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I think you should follow the example of the young Abraham Lincoln and cut down a cherry tree.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in what goes around comes around so I would pay. One day it will come back and bite you in the rear otherwise.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Pay Definitely pay. You'll feel good about it and so will they.
  • CleminoleTech
    CleminoleTech Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would call and offer to pay. My conscience would get me every time I saw their ads. I would look at it like someone worked hard for me and I should pay for the service.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oh, I would pay...
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would call. My Mom taught me not to steal, and that is what this is, though not intentional on your part.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I agree with the karens, also, i would feel too guilty. i think you know what you should do since you asked, i left walmart the other day with work pants in the top basket. i had placed my purse on top and when i got to the car noticed i hadnt paid. no one knew but me. i walked back in with them and paid. i would know, i cant live with myself otherwise.
  • HollyMomma1
    HollyMomma1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Pay. I think it's important to live your life so you're honest in all things-even when no one is looking or knows the wiser.
  • annalee_1
    annalee_1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I would pay for it, stuff happens but doing the right thing is paying for the service you were provided. Just my opinion but I couldn't sleep with that on my mind.
  • MFR1974
    MFR1974 Posts: 92
    Options
    It is more important to do what is right, or to be right?
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'd pay, just because I'd want to be paid if the situation were reversed.
  • Its_All_Kung_Fu
    Options
    the fact you are asking makes you either a sociologist...or a crook.:laugh:
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would pay. If someone performs a service for me they should get paid for it.

THIS. And I would expect the same treatment if I provided a service for someone else and they weren't billed, not because I'm stupid, but because I'm human and I make errors.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I would call and pay or stop by and pay them.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I may be in the minority but I would not call or pay. It would not bother me it was there mistake not mine and before anyone says anything It does not bother me at all.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    They did mess up....but.....I also agree that what goes around comes around. They will appreciate your honesty and you will feel better about it. I believe in doing the right thing and I always try to do just that.

A few years ago when I was in school, I found someone's expensive Ipod stuck in a cushiony chair. I turned it in to the lost and found of course. It never even occurred to me to keep it. A few days later, I left my wallet at a gas station. (it had fallen off the roof of my car) OOPS! A guy called me when I just a few miles down the road...I hadn't even realized I left it there. (luckily I had my number in the wallet!) He left it for me at the gas station counter. Nothing was missing from it. How awesome is that?

I told my teenage son this story later that night and he asked me why I didn't keep the Ipod? I simply said....it wasn't mine, it was my duty to return it since I had found it.

Bottom line..you received a service and they deserve to be paid. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The right thing to do is to call them and pay for the service they have provided to you.