Coconut Oil and weightloss?

Options
124»

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I love coconut everything. I drink coconut water and milk, I eat coconut ice cream, cook with coconut oil and flour, and generally try to incorporate it in some way into daily meals. Coconut oil is also a fantastic moisturizer for skin and hair. I even use coconut oil on my horse's mane and tail, and she looks great. I haven't noticed any weight loss from it, but the studies all back it up. Truly a superfood.
  • mmlovers90
    mmlovers90 Posts: 21
    Options
    FYI, a very good summary of coconut oil benefits (and de-bunking the myths) is here:
    http://cutthefatpodcast.com/1013/cut-the-fat-blog/eating-for-fat-loss/coconut-oil-diet-is-it-a-safe-effective-way-to-lose-weight

I recommend the entire podcast series/website too!

Thanks for the information! Very interesting site. I bookmarked it! :)
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff...bump to follow this!
  • amomatt
    amomatt Posts: 41
    Options
    I've been taking it for about a year now and it has definitely helped with my weight loss. Not making it "fall off" or anything but if I def lose more/steadily if i regularly take it.
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsDRS54
    MrsDRS54 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I melt 2 TBSP in my coffee every morning. I have arthritis in both hips and the pain was getting so bad I was considering hip replacement. Within one week of using the extra virgin coconut oil, pain is practically gone. I'm also using it to ward off Alzheimer's, which both my Grandmother and Mom died of. I have authorship set up through Amazon...very reasonable cost.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fswong
    fswong Posts: 10
    Options
    Does coconut oil go bad and should it be stored in the fridge?
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    OP, just my two cents, having been raised in the Caribbean where we not only made our own coconut oil but used it for EVERYTHING.. and I do mean everything, used it moderation, it is great for you. I grew up on coconut oil being used for cooking, in my hair, on my skin, etc and still do to this day, part genetics, part taking care of myself, but I am in my late 30's and my 16 year old hates that I get mistaken for her sister.. (personally I love it)!!., I have ALWAYS had very low cholesterol, and it has been checked almost every year from my years in the military so I can attest from personal experience that used in moderation and growing up on the stuff, it is NOT bad for you, for cooking, I use it on my plantains, i use it when making curried dishes, just have to be careful not to burn it when heating it up :).

Cool! Maybe you can validate something for me. I've been told for a while now that Polynesians do not get MS. The reason is coconut oil helps keep the mylen sheath intact and helps to avoid the auto-immune response that is linked to the deterioration of the Mylen sheath. I believe that Laolic acid was the protective component. Did you encounter anybody who used coconut oil who contracted MS? How about polynesians who abandoned traditional foods for a more wstern diet, including canola oils and other supposed "heart healthy" oils.

One of my understandings of coconut oil is that it is one of the few veg oils that can take high heat cooking without converting to a TransFat. After watching the Movie FAT HEAD about 6 months ago or so, I decided to ignore my doctor's advice regarding consumption of eggs and animal fat and added coconut oil to my diet. I was having issues with my bad cholestrol being too high and my good cholestrol being too low and no matter what I did the good cholestrol would still be low, eating oatmeal, dropping butter and other animal fats, limiting eggs etc. Once I started back on butter, eggs, coconut oil and not worrying about animal fat consumption, adding vit d supplements as well, my good cholesterol went up and the bad went down. I refuse to use canola oil at all. I still get it in processed food of course, but I don't eat very much of those. Doc even had me on niacin therapy.... not a good choice for someone who has ezcema! After reading all the info here, I'm going to jump back on the coconut oil wagon with a vengance, I ran out and haven't replaced because I've not found a good price. I only buy organic and try to get the EVCO though VCO will do. I've also found I've been craving the canned full fat coconut milk lately. Soo good esp in coffee.