advice needed baddddd

Options

Replies

• tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I vote for getting one or more of their *kitten* out of the house.

You're going to end up with an overworked, frustrated hubby and a spoiled "adult" child with you in your humble abode.

Why allow THAT to happen?
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am with the one who says to sit with your fiance and CALMLY discuss how to handel the children so you can approach them on a non-divided front. If he gets irratible, don't raise your voice, just ask try to keep discussing things like adults. I work around 70 hrs/ wk and watch my kids during the day and I can say that perhaps your fiance's irritability came from just being tired (the counter-attack instead of an actual conversation indicates this). Try approaching him when he is rested and a bit more amiable to discussions. Frankly, 19 IS considered an ADULT however, the way most people raise their kids makes them unprepaired to face the real world. That being said, Is (your fiance) afraid his son won't make it on his own? Have you two discussed what it would take for him to be comfortable enough to have his son go? What would make your fiance responsive to his son's moving out? Why did HE end up moving out of HIS parent's house? What was his motivation to move out and does this have bearing on the situation at hand? These questions should be asked to give the both of you goals to shoot for; Remember, this is also setting precedent for when your child reaches the age of maturity.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I vote for getting one or more of their *kitten* out of the house.

You're going to end up with an overworked, frustrated hubby and a spoiled "adult" child with you in your humble abode.

Why allow THAT to happen?

ya that is what I kinda think to..
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    Time to throw the kid out of the house and give him a reality check! Sounds like he needs a lesson in respect, manners, and a dose of reality.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    There is no way in hell I would allow some snot-nosed kid to smoke pot in my house around my kid no matter WHO that person thinks he is.

You find out he's smoking pot in the house? Call the cops while he's in his room smoking away. Guess who could lose custody of her 14 year old if the cops find out you're letting the 19 year old do drugs in the house? If you're not putting a stop to it, you're allowing it. No ifs, ands, or buts.

If the man you're with doesn't respect you (and it sounds like he doesn't if his son is allowed to tell you to f' off), then it's time to go. No amount of counseling is going to fix this. Do you really think you should spend the next ten years dealing with the same situation? There's already been a wife between you and the first wife. Why would you think things would be any better than they are now?

Seriously, the disrespect issues could possibly be dealt with but you have a kid of your own to think about. You really think he won't grow up to emulate the 19 year old when he's seen the 19 year old get away with this crap for this long?
  • bobbyandthekid
    Options
    I remember being that 19 year old boy, 20 some odd years ago.
    The best gift my father could have given me was luggage and a boot to the *kitten*.
    I would not be the man I am now if my father did not shoo me from the nest.

It is his son and he must do it. But it must be done.
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You do realise that if you call the cops on him and give him a record, it is going to be that much harder for him to actually get his act together? Better to either kick him out or just quit and leave.
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I used to babysit a lot growing up and two boys I used to watch were hellians! One of them was so crazy, I came over to watch him once and his bedroom door was missing. I asked his mom what happened and she said that privacy was a priviledge. He had to earn his door back! HAHAHAHA! First he was super angry and acted out and cussed at her and threw his stuff everywhere, then eventually he calmed down and started sucking up to her so he could get his door back. I agree with shutting off anything he would want to use like the internet. If the things that are distracting him are no longer available, he's either going to move out to be around the things he wants, or he's gonna change to stick around and have those things readily available. I would start becoming super strict and do it with a smile. When he swears at you, just let him know, you love him and he's only hurting himself.
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound to me like the marriage counseling is working all that well if he's blaming you for everything. I know the issue you're seeing is that 19 year old, but IMO, it's not the primary issue. Boundaries need to be set for all 4 people in the house. A family meeting might get the ball rolling. Lay out rules and consequences with both kids and stick to them-no bending the rules. Then figure out how you feel about your relationship and how you'd like to be treated (everyone deserves respect and kindness). You seem to be taking on everything by yourself- it's overwhelming and not fair to you.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're aware, but if authorities get wind that pot smoking is going on in that house, the law can remove your own son from you, and you and/or your bf charged with a variety of possession or negligence charges... Smokey needs to go...
  • brutusnight
    Options
    The next time he leaves with his pot head friends call the police and say you suspect a that a car just left your neighborhood carring drugs give the description and plate number. Or my wife said call them when he smoking it in the house. get him out one way or another.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sounds like both kids....the 14 and the 19 year old need a lesson in RESPECT. Doesnt matter how old they are, they shouldnt be giving you a hard time...step mom or not. Hubby to be should definately be stepping in and discipling that kid, or kicking his *kitten* out.

I agree with you! I have 2 step kids (son & daughter) both teenagers from not 1 but 2 different mothers who both respect me enough to do as I say OR they can answer to their dad... But I pretty much don't have to go that route. Probably not since they were young like 7 or 8 years old. We all pretty much get along good and I have a daughter with my husband and believe it ir not my 9 year old gives me a harder time.......I would tell him he needs to go!! I got kicked out at 19 because I didn't want to listen and follow my parents rules and guess what I learned how to grow up fast and appreciated my parents more especially after being a parent myself....You need to not be afraid of "Tough Love"..........GOOD LUCK!
  • rnctipton
    rnctipton Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    After all of this, I wonder...where does he get the pot?? He's not working, so who's buying it? I agree with those who say a family meeting is needed where you determine where everyone stands on the issues, if you can all agree on the solutions together, set the rules and consequences, and move forward. If the rules are broken and consequences not paid then someone goes.
    You do need to take a close look, together with your fiancee, at your relationship before you can decide to make changes. The two of you must agree or it can never work. If he loves and respects you, he will be willing to do whatever it takes (sticking to the ground rules). If not, you must leave.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My parents kicked me out at 16...best thing they could've ever done! They love me, but showed me how the real world is. At 16 I got a job, payed my own bills and lived on my own. All while completing high school on time. (i got a real diploma from my high school, not a GED) and then went on to college. It may seem harsh, but I couldn't thank them enough for it. I leaned real quick that you can't afford to live on minimum wage.
  • DeepBreaths
    Options
    Hope things are looking brighter this morning!

Just remember this.... we teach people how to treat us, I made it my mantra when it took me two years to get a divorce from a textbook narcissist.

Hope you get a few laughs in today!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This relationship is not a good place for you or your son. imo, you should get out sooner instead of later. If that means school loans, quitting school to work, whatever. Your son is seeing the step-son's poor behavior and learning from it. He is learning from the fiance to treat women poorly. He is learning from you that women will take it if you establish economic control over them. 3.5 years is a long time, but not worth staying in a dysfunctional relationship that drives you nuts and harms your son.

Sorry. Not what you wanted to hear, I know.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I had kind of a similar experience once. The guy I had been seeing long term had twin boys (I called them devil children), they were so unmanagable because he let them do whatever they wanted. I didn't say anything at first because we had not dated long and I didn't think it was my place but once we started getting serious I knew we had to sit down and have a discussion. At first he agreed and said he would start disciplining them more and that we would work together on it. This didn't last long and he was back to his old ways. After like the third discussion I knew that if he wasen't going to make and effort then I had to make a tough decision. I finally sat him down and told him that even though I loved him that I couldn't handle the way these boys were being raised and that I knew later down the road it would just get worse since he wasen't willing to do anything about it. I ended that day. It was hard but I knew it was the right thing to do.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think I am just realizing that the relationship is over.... May be better for my weight loss journey
  • DeepBreaths
    Options
    I think I am just realizing that the relationship is over.... May be better for my weight loss journey

What's that saying, its okay to have baggage in a relationship... as long as it matches?

I really feel for you, I hope you hold onto this kernel of truth you've come to and use it to propel you on to infinite happiness and joy!!

*hugs*

Rebecca