• mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Don't do any exercise
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    how can I avoid gaining muscles?

Don't take steroids while lifting weights.

For the vast majority of the population (male and female) a moderate program of weight lifting will increase your strength, improve your injury resistance and make you feel a lot better without adding bulk. Bodybuilders spend hours a day in the gym and, I suspect, give mother nature a helping hand.
  • dotido
    dotido Posts: 49
    Options
    Thank you briansharpe I won't take any steroids. I was hit by a car so can't do any lifting because of I have a shattered disk in my spine and tendonitis in my right shoulder.

Hello mandyloo, but if I want to lose fat don't I have to exercise?

Thanks for your responses!
  • BeebsAbs
    BeebsAbs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    also lifting weights will burn off more fat in a smaller time then cadio, i'll point you to a blog of one of my friends, have a read of the "why women should lift weights"
    http://www.djhfitness.blogspot.co.uk/
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

For the vast majority of the population (male and female) a moderate program of weight lifting will increase your strength, improve your injury resistance and make you feel a lot better without adding bulk. Bodybuilders spend hours a day in the gym and, I suspect, give mother nature a helping hand.

not true, we have guys here I work with that are just jacked and huge but never take steroids and I would know, I live with them
  • BeebsAbs
    BeebsAbs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    yeah the whole steroid thing never appealed to me, im a small guy but i have visible gains from just working hard and eating right (not all the time but 80% of the time im eating well)
    look at my DP most of that muscle has been put on in the last 4 weeks!
    i was really scrawny before now work clooeagues are saying that my shoulders are wider and arms are bigger.
    So Steroids are the lazy mans way of getting the muscle fast

My advise is just whey poweder and good old creatine!
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    depends on what you mean by muscles.... do you mean...

women-muscles.jpg

or
    femalebodybuilders600x6.jpg
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    This chick has muscles, and she's 30.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eUKuxuxm3E
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    everyone has muscles, the difference is what is covering them.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Oh wow..that first pic is just...sad. Body dismorphia for sure. How can ANY woman do that and think she looks good?

There are quite a few woman like the first pic. Female bodybuilding is becoming more and more popular. Personally Im not into it, and I'd rather be like the girl in the 2nd picture!
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Oh wow..that first pic is just...sad. Body dismorphia for sure. How can ANY woman do that and think she looks good?

There are quite a few woman like the first pic. Female bodybuilding is becoming more and more popular. Personally Im not into it, and I'd rather be like the girl in the 2nd picture!

When it gets to that stage, it's not about looking good, it's about having the biggest, most symmetrical muscles. It's about the competition.

OP - I was being flippant with my first reply, but if you really don't want any muscle, it is just a low calorie diet and cardio. It's not an easy or fun way to live tho' and especially with your injuries I think building some strength would help you and make burning fat easier. Adding some resistance work into your current routine will help you.
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That top pic is scaring the children.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Why would you want to avoid muscles?
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Okay.

That first picture everyone is talking about. The woman is clearly on the juice. You can see female Olympic weightlifters who still look like women because they're not roiding.

Second, if you let your muscle mass go down the drain while you're losing weight, you'll just become skinnyfat.

Third, it's totally your decision to become skinnyfat, just know it will be easier to regain whatever you lose.

Last, as everyone has said, you have to avoid lifting weights. I would never recommend this unless you have a major injury and require a doctor's opinion, because another lost benefit when you don't lift weights is improved bone density. Enjoy your osteoporosis.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thank you briansharpe I won't take any steroids. I was hit by a car so can't do any lifting because of I have a shattered disk in my spine and tendonitis in my right shoulder.

I would really discuss this with your Doctors and Physical Therapists.... While you want to jump right into a cardio routine to try to lose fat and not gain muscle- if you do the wrong thing, you could hurt yourself worse than you already are.

With either of the injuries that you have metioned, lifting weights and building muscles can actually HELP. Especially with the back injury - building up the muscles in you back will help to relieve some of the pressure put on to the disks, and help to relieve the pain. If you are not currently seeing a Physical Therapist, may I suggest that you see someone in the sports medicine field? They will know more than a regular family doc will, and can suggest a program that can help you to lose weight, and not risk injuring yourself further.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options

11462541_178.jpg 60 mins or less, 6x a week. no exogenous testosterone.

muscle is built whenever anyone causes their body to create a need to become stronger. its a reaction to the stress its being put under, in order to make it easier next time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do mostly aerobic exercise. At your age you will likely be pretty firm naturally.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    yeah the whole steroid thing never appealed to me, im a small guy but i have visible gains from just working hard and eating right (not all the time but 80% of the time im eating well)
    look at my DP most of that muscle has been put on in the last 4 weeks!
    i was really scrawny before now work clooeagues are saying that my shoulders are wider and arms are bigger.
    So Steroids are the lazy mans way of getting the muscle fast

My advise is just whey poweder and good old creatine!

lol@ lazy. taking testosterone enhances your ability to recuperate, it doesnt just make them bigger automatically. you have to train 3x as hard. you get bigger faster, but you sure as hell arent "taking the easy way out" by doing it.
  • Testosterone
    Options

how exactly do you shatter a disc? because it is cartilage. You could compress/crush a vertebrae, but theres no physical way to shatter a disc. and tendonitis shouldnt be stopping you from anything.