Any low Carbers out there?

Options

Replies

• SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau and am doing a modified low carb diet to test my carb sensitivity and as a mental jumpstart. I tried Atkins about 10 years ago and had significant weight loss but it did not fit in with my lifestyle or love of vegetables. I knew that when I was at the grocery store on the way to the meat counter passing by apples and salivating there was something wrong!

For the next 14-21 days I am maintaining 75g of carbs or less and focused on lean proteins and healthy fats. I have sort of created my own version by modifying the induction stage of Atkins, the Schwartzein Principle, Life without Bread, and the Zone. I am in the process of journaling about this experience and will post a blog documenting the experience at day 7, day 14, and if I continue day 21.

I am continuing with a strength traing program that I started a couple of weeks ago (Les Mills Body Pump) to build muscle and burn fat. I am also in the middle of marathon training so I will continue to run 3-4 days per week.

In looking back on my life - I realized that when I didn't have to work at being thin - I really did not eat a lot of carbs - the majority of my carb consumption was at breakfast (cereal) and the rest of the day I snacked on vegetables ate salads, etc. With increased carb consumption came some gradual weight gain along with changes in metabolism due to age etc. Hence my carb sensitivity test. It is all a process and learning experience through trial, error, ups downs, and plateaus.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    No. And personally I dont think anyone should completely reduce/cut out a portion of their diet. Just stick within your calorie goals and try and switch up things to healthier choices. I still eat bread/tortillas/wraps most days and haven't dropped dead or stopped losing weight.

Not sure I'm comfortable with the tone of judgement this post reeks of (and complete ignorant insensitivity). Low carb diets (apart from being a very effective fat loss tool) can be necessitated by many medical conditions too.

Currently in a keto cutting cycle. Going great. Feeling great. Loving cheese.

Do you feel better about yourself now that you've made someone else "look bad"?

Okay, let me amend what I said to please some anonymous person. I dont think people should cut something completely out of their diet unless supervised by a professional. DERP

Why do you have to be supervised by a professional to cut out certain foods? Why can't people have the freedom to eat what they want? There is tons of research showing the health benefits of low carb diets for many people. No reason to eat foods high in carbs simply because some people can't bare the thought of not eating them.
  • ohhoe
    ohhoe Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd day of keto! Sticking to 1200 cals and 20g of carbs a day. :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    No. And personally I dont think anyone should completely reduce/cut out a portion of their diet. Just stick within your calorie goals and try and switch up things to healthier choices. I still eat bread/tortillas/wraps most days and haven't dropped dead or stopped losing weight.

Not sure I'm comfortable with the tone of judgement this post reeks of (and complete ignorant insensitivity). Low carb diets (apart from being a very effective fat loss tool) can be necessitated by many medical conditions too.

Okay, let me amend what I said to please some anonymous person. I dont think people should cut something completely out of their diet unless supervised by a professional. DERP

You mean the "professional" medical doctors that receive very little nutritional training? The doctor that told me she only eats 1000 calories a day, wanted me on a 1200 calorie "diet" that made me feel awful?? Or my previous doctors that were overweight themselves?

To the OP - there are plenty of us here, and I would also 2nd the low-carb group that a previous commenter (thecrazy1) linked. Welcome!
  • maddiecab
    maddiecab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm a South Beacher, which means,I guess, that I'm a "good carber". Day 2. I lose weight when I leave out the bad sugars and refined foods. The "trick", for me, after I lose the weight is not getting caught into thinking, "Oh, well, I'm 40 pounds lighter than I used to be!" Then one serving of granola turns into 2 servings of bread which leads to pretzels which leads to, well, you've figured it out. If there is a whole box of Oreos around, I'll eat them. Never felt tempted to eat a whole package of cheese. I'm safer here on the Beach:)
    Tina
  • kkwhite53
    Options
    Yes, I loosely follow the South Beach Diet plan. I was told 30 yrs ago to go on a high protein, low carb diet to keep my blood sugar level and prevent diabetes so I have tried to do that and it's worked! My blood sugar is still perfect! I figure the South Beach Diet is perfect for me!! Just wish the weight would fall off!

Following the SBD is a little tricky for me because I'm severely lactose intolerant so I can't do the cheese snacks etc. All I can snack on is V-8 juice or peanuts in the shell. Sometimes I'll roll up a piece of lunchmeat and eat that dipped in mustard.

I've been consciously watching my diet and exercising for weeks now and the scales simply won't move!! Very discouraged.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am a low carber/keto, I TRY to keep my carbs at or under 20g (net) per day. I have primary CI (carbohydrate intolerance). Any of you can feel free to add me.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've just started a low carb lifestyle myself, a modified one for my hubby (as he's not allowed the amount of fats involved).

So far, I am doing good with it myself. Lost 7.5 pounds since 4/19. I'm aiming to keep my carb points between 50-90, since I have a few medical issues that a true "low carb 20-25" may cause problems.

One bonus I've so far noticed is that I'm not getting "stomach" sick everyday like I've used to be for decades. I'm lactose intolerant and always blamed that (milk and lacatose is in ALOT of stuff), but I've eating milk/cheese during this time w/ no meds and been ok.... really makes me wonder what in the foods I've dropped was causing me issue (I'm leaning toward gluten).

Plus I feel more engeric and less hungry, but I've been getting headaches (every night) since starting. I think it's probably the lack of carb & sugars, as I've found one energy drink that is 0 carb that I will drink (thus I get my dose of caffine & b vitamins).

This way of eating is difficult to start, but doable - I found a wonderful cookbook that I love!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I've just started a low carb lifestyle myself, a modified one for my hubby (as he's not allowed the amount of fats involved).

So far, I am doing good with it myself. Lost 7.5 pounds since 4/19. I'm aiming to keep my carb points between 50-90, since I have a few medical issues that a true "low carb 20-25" may cause problems.

One bonus I've so far noticed is that I'm not getting "stomach" sick everyday like I've used to be for decades. I'm lactose intolerant and always blamed that (milk and lacatose is in ALOT of stuff), but I've eating milk/cheese during this time w/ no meds and been ok.... really makes me wonder what in the foods I've dropped was causing me issue (I'm leaning toward gluten).

Plus I feel more engeric and less hungry, but I've been getting headaches (every night) since starting. I think it's probably the lack of carb & sugars, as I've found one energy drink that is 0 carb that I will drink (thus I get my dose of caffine & b vitamins).

This way of eating is difficult to start, but doable - I found a wonderful cookbook that I love!

I recently found, by going lower-carb/primal, that gluten is what has been causing my stomach issues, that have mostly gone away (though today I am suffering from being glutened last night!). That is what is good about tracking what I eat here, now I can go back and see what I ate, to determine what was causing it. No more bloating, no more stomach issues, no more acid reflux, etc!!

Not sure on the headaches, usually I'd get them in the morning until I adapted. MSG can also give me headaches.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I don't really refer to myself as a no-carber....I try and eat a diet full of veggies and some fruit, and other GOOD carbs....I do try and keep my TOTAL carbs to 60 or less per day..

I am a diabetic, so that is my main reason for doing this....it truly has made an EXTREME difference in my readings.....

Feel free to add me :)
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm a South Beacher, which means,I guess, that I'm a "good carber". Day 2. I lose weight when I leave out the bad sugars and refined foods. The "trick", for me, after I lose the weight is not getting caught into thinking, "Oh, well, I'm 40 pounds lighter than I used to be!" Then one serving of granola turns into 2 servings of bread which leads to pretzels which leads to, well, you've figured it out. If there is a whole box of Oreos around, I'll eat them. Never felt tempted to eat a whole package of cheese. I'm safer here on the Beach:)
    Tina

Isn't that the truth!! I totally never gorge myself on broccoli. LOL
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Low-carb here! It's made a big difference for me. Feel free to add me.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options

"Made someone else look bad"? You made YOURSELF look bad, and were called out on your actions. Own up.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    In most cases low carb diets = just right carb diets. Most people eat way too many carbs. Find out what works for you!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    :) I eat low carb. And ignore others. Not every ones the same. People can lose weight at 1200 calories, and some can lose at 1900 calories... Some can cut out soda, and lose 10 pounds a month.. Some can eat lean meats... Some can eat that 300 g carbs a day at 1500 calories and lose, some need less...

We are all different. My body really responds to a lower carb intake.
  • kristen5231
    Options
    Hey there! Low carber here! I have come to realize that for my body type, it is the most successful plan. There is such a thing as carb intolerance and there's a test you can do to find out just what your tolerance level is. So you could be fine with some bread and milk, or you may need to cut out more than that. I've really educated myself on the matter and have learned alot. Here's the link if anyone is interested :)

http://www.drgangemi.com/healthtopics/diets/carbintolerancetwoweek/
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I keep carbs between 75g and 100g per day. No grains or grain based foods, or high starch foods. Just meats, veggies, and limited fruit. Primal for life.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    In most cases low carb diets = just right carb diets. Most people eat way too many carbs. Find out what works for you!

^^ This! But, on that note- I follow the Primal Blueprint and try to keep my carbs (all coming from fruits and veggies) at or around 50g-100g daily. Right now, I am try to keep them at or below 30.

Feel free to add me!
  • Ickaboo
    Ickaboo Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi there, I have PCOS and from looking online, low carb is the diet that works.
    I have tried the low calorie diets, and they just aren't doing anything for me. Therefore I get frustrated and quit.
    I'm see my doctor next week to get all the details and see if this is what will work for me. Heres to hoping!
    Feel free to add me :)