dry cleaner forgot to charge- what would you do?

Options
1235»

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I would pay for the service I received and agreed to pay for. It's the right thing to do. I'm atheist and still managed to come up with that all by myself. :smile:
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Of course I would pay. My momma raised me right.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would call and pay but that's because I'm a Christian and I would feel guilty if I didn't.

Is there some reason that you need to bring your religion into it? I'd do what is right because it's right, and because morality is about doing what is right even when there is no penalty for doing wrong. Since you say you'd pay because you'd feel guilty, why would your christianity matter to the question?

Because being a Christian is who I am and is why I do or don't do things. There are things I would have done and not felt as guilty about or not felt guilty about at all before I became a Christian. Each of us has our own reason why we would or worldn't pay. Also, op said feel free to justify your response so I was just explaining why I would pay.

I agree with you 100% about my relationship with Christ is the exact reason why I do or don't do things. I try my hardest to run all my decisions through a lens of integrity and doing the right thing. Attacking someone because they are Christian and offered an answer as a Christian isn't fair. It's also not fair to paint all Christians with a brush that is tainted by your own personal experience. We are all individuals - not robots.

Could you please explain in what way the question she replied to was an "attack?". It asked how religion was related to morality, since I behave morally and don't share her religion. So do many Buddhists, Jains, Hindus, Baha'is, Muslims, Jews, Wiccans, Pagans and at least 100 more religions. I asked why she mentioned Christianity because it's obviously possible to behave morally and not be a Christian, and I wondered what the connection was. It's not like I said she was immoral; I said I wondered why she thought she wasn't moral on her own. It scares me the idea that someone gets their beliefs about what is right from someone else. I didn't bring up religion. In fact, she's the only one who brought up religion. And with what brush did I paint Christians?

It's really not appropriate to bring up religion in the main forums. There are Christian forums for that. She explained why she would pay: Because she'd feel guilty if she didn't. If anyone was attacked, it was the non-Christians on the thread.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I'm amazed at all the non-Christians that feel so threatened by a simple statement that someone's actions were guided by their belief system. What exactly are you threatened by?

7 billion ways to live your life...pick the one that works for you.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at all the non-Christians that feel so threatened by a simple statement that someone's actions were guided by their belief system. What exactly are you threatened by?

Agreed. Nobody said that it was an exclusively Christian thing to do.
  • FitLink
    Options

Is there some reason why asking the connection, which is non-obvious since most people behave morally regardless of religious background, is "attacking?" As I said, statistically most people who replied were christian. Only one felt the need to mention it. I politely asked why it bears mentioning.

Nice defection, BTW. It should never have brought up. There are christian forums for talking about god.
  • FitLink
    Options

Then why bring it up?
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Pay... it is never wrong to do the right thing.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that I didn't read the entire thread. I'll say two things just from what I gleaned from the OP and some comments.

1. I would pay because it's the right thing to do and I firmly believe in personal integrity.

2. I'm an atheist (not that religious/superstitious views have anything at all to do with the OP)
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are even asking this question tells me that you already know the answer = PAY THE CLEANERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They did a service for you. Yes, maybe they made a mistake, but you got you clothes back, and they were clean, right?? Call them first thing in the morning (unless they are open now, in which case you should call them now!)
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would pay it. Like a lot of previous posters said, human error happens.

From my personal experience, a couple years ago I worked at a local pizza delivery place that delivered. It was run in a very old-fashioned way--no computer, orders taken on one of those double pads. We'd take an order, one copy would stay with us, the other would go with the delivery drivers. One morning we get a call from a regular who had ordered the night before. Turns out he wasn't charged properly (charged for 1/2 subs instead of whole, medium pizza charged as smalls, stuff like that), hadn't noticed it at the time, but they wanted to make it right. We told him not to worry, consider it a half off meal for being such a great regular. But wanting to find out who botched the pricing so badly, we looked and looked, couldn't find the ticket anywhere. Then we started looking through all the tickets, and noticed about 10 were missing. Turned out, the delivery driver was destroying the tickets and pocketing the cash. The management watched him for a few more nights, and between 8-12 tickets disappeared every shift. They had him arrested, but estimate he was stealing close to $200 per shift he worked. For two years. It took about 3 months to switch to a modernized system after that, but I wonder if they every would have noticed the theft if that regular customer didn't call to point out that he had been undercharged.

edit to add my point lol: My point is, not only is paying for the service the right thing to do, pointing out the error help the dry cleaners identify problem areas of their business. In our case, the willingness to call identified an employee that needed additional training, and a thief. In the dry cleaners case, someone probably needs retrained.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

Then why bring it up?
    Why not? Did it hurt anyone, for hell's sake?
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I may be in the minority but I would not call or pay. It would not bother me it was there mistake not mine and before anyone says anything It does not bother me at all.
    I agree with this. I would just let it roll off my back and pay next time if I ever use the service again. But that's just me. It's like when someone gives you back too much change at a store. Not my fault they can't tell the difference between a $20 and a $100
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Too much change back? I always give it back. It's called integrity.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Too much change back? I always give it back. It's called integrity.
    Never heard of the word. They should learn to count. It ain't that hard.

Btw the register tells them how much to give back IF they put the amount you gave them in right. Again, a $20 looks different than a $100 or $10.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I may be in the minority but I would not call or pay. It would not bother me it was there mistake not mine and before anyone says anything It does not bother me at all.

Agree. I would not feel bad either, you didn't do anything wrong or try to screw them out of money so who cares.
  • FitLink
    Options

Then why bring it up?
    Why not? Did it hurt anyone, for hell's sake?
    Actually yes. And there is place for discussions about religion that is not the main forums, where we all have different religious beliefs.