South Beach Diet, who else is in???

Options
emdeegan
emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
So... after realizing how much sugar I eat on a daily basis and have decided to try the South Beach Diet phases to ween (more like cut) myself off sugar: voluntarily. Tomorrow I plan to indulge with butter toast and sugary coffee with Thursday being the day I say adios to the sweet sweet white stuff... anyone else wants to join in the sugar busting brigade or has some awesome tips that will get this (not so) closeted sugar addict over the hump (or should that be sugar lump?)?

Replies

• emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bump??
  • walkingshoes
    walkingshoes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started Phase 1 on Monday. I have already lost 3.8 pounds. Watching, logging my calories and exercising like crazy was not working for me for what ever reason. I am sure if I stuck with it it might kick in, but I needed some results quick just to encourage me. I need to loose at least 30 pounds. 50 would be great. If I could just see the first 10 go, I can wait a little more patiently for the rest.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just started it today. It wasn't so bad today. Just measured out nuts for snacks, bought some cheese to have, lots of veggies, and meat to cook tomorrow and this weekend. Seems like it is very doable. Hoping that the food tracker will help me too with keeping track so that I don't over eat.
  • alexis510
    alexis510 Posts: 12
    Options
    I just started yesterday. It's going well so far. I made a bunch of hard boiled eggs, bought some non-fat, no sugar added greek yogurt, cheese sticks, and splenda to keep at work.

I've tried it before a few times. Sometimes I just don't follow through. But 4 years ago I did it successfully for 6 months and lost 30 pounds. Since then, I've gained almost 10 back. I would like to go for another 30. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • weigh2goal
    weigh2goal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Of all the programs that I have been on, South Beach works the best for me. So why do I jump around? I can stay on Phase 1 with no problem. It's when I move on to Phase 2. If at first you don't success, try, try again. I like being accountable and I find that this website offers you all the tools to get the job done.

1627287.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • fightingiris
    fightingiris Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 7 today. I've done it several times before but always end up quitting on phase 2. I'd really like to stick with it this time because it's the only thing that seems to work for me. I'm going to try to look at phase 2 as I'm maintaining the weight I lost on phase 1 so that way I don't get discouraged.
  • betseyk123
    betseyk123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on south beach for almost a month now but haven't left phase one. I'm not great when it comes to options, so I'm hesitant to go to two. I've lost between 9 and 15 pounds. Not really sure because I've been struggling with water retention.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I follow SB guidelines. 6 years ago I followed it strictly for about 6 mo. and lost 40 lbs and kept it off for about 2 yrs then some things happened including a hip replacement and I gained it back.
    I got back on track in Jan. I love that I lose my sweet cravings after doing phase one.
    If you all want some recipes I have a collection here: http://pinterest.com/issypal/
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    FYI I started on the South Beach 17 months ago and lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks. It was the best jump start I ever got on a diet and it fit in so well with my gluten allergy.Actually my doctor recomended it. After Phase 1 ended up going to a nutritionist because I couldn't add in whole wheat because of the gluten thing and my blood protein levels were bad. My nutritionist tweaked the diet for me and Voila! 17 months later I have 169 lbs lost and 9 more to go. Check out my food diary
  • issyfit
    Options
    FYI I started on the South Beach 17 months ago and lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks. It was the best jump start I ever got on a diet and it fit in so well with my gluten allergy.Actually my doctor recomended it. After Phase 1 ended up going to a nutritionist because I couldn't add in whole wheat because of the gluten thing and my blood protein levels were bad. My nutritionist tweaked the diet for me and Voila! 17 months later I have 169 lbs lost and 9 more to go. Check out my food diary
    Awesome loss, congratulations!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I follow SB guidelines. 6 years ago I followed it strictly for about 6 mo. and lost 40 lbs and kept it off for about 2 yrs then some things happened including a hip replacement and I gained it back.
    I got back on track in Jan. I love that I lose my sweet cravings after doing phase one.
    If you all want some recipes I have a collection here: http://pinterest.com/issypal/

And she has some good ones.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump..I tried to find the book today at several stores..I am willing to check it out..Tks for sharing your thoughts.
  • issyfit
    Options
    bump..I tried to find the book today at several stores..I am willing to check it out..Tks for sharing your thoughts.
    Be sure to get an updated one, they made several changes from the original plan.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump need to find the book
    sounds great
  • issyfit
    Options
    bump need to find the book
    sounds great
    I got the original book on kindle pretty cheap, $3.99 I think, not sure if it's still that low. I reread it in Jan. to get motivated.
  • diamondclear
    diamondclear Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What is south beach diet?!:)
  • issyfit
    Options
    What is south beach diet?!:)
    www.southbeachdiet.com

It focuses on good carbs and good fats and plenty of protein. Basically you avoid foods with added sugars, processed grains, white potatoes, and trans fats, and limit saturated fats. It's recommended you eat a minimum of 2.5 cups of low starch veggies per day. There are other guidelines but those are the basics.
  • ltowns11
    ltowns11 Posts: 134
    Options
    I have three more days of Phase I to go I am down 7 pounds!!! For me it feels so good I was struggling to lose 3-4 lbs per month! I just hope that I can maintain this! But so far so good!!! Don't really miss bread, potatos or rice. My weakness is candy...GOD give me strength!
  • MommaMear
    MommaMear Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Phase 1 tomorrow! Lost 20lbs with SB about 8 years ago. But, two babies and life have added it back plus ten! I am hoping a few pounds will come off quickly, but I don't eat carbs consistently only when I pig out.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I started Phase 1 on Monday. I have already lost 3.8 pounds. Watching, logging my calories and exercising like crazy was not working for me for what ever reason. I am sure if I stuck with it it might kick in, but I needed some results quick just to encourage me. I need to loose at least 30 pounds. 50 would be great. If I could just see the first 10 go, I can wait a little more patiently for the rest.

I started this last Monday, 4/23. I too needed a jump start, I had hit a plateau and was stuck there for 2 1/2 months. SB really did help, I lost 2.2 lbs last week, but I felt too deprived, not going to do it next week, although I did get some really good ideas for snacks and meals. Hopefully it was all I needed.