Couch to 5K anyone?!? We start on monday!

Options

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Ok...I thought I was retarded!!!! I have been stuck on week four for 3 weeks and it was because i was so tired that I couldnt complete the last 5 minute run but now tha tmakes more sense because I was confused at the last bit of her "non verbal cue" week becuase it seemed to be too long!

thanks for the tip. Im just headed out for W5D1 in 5 minutes!

Maddie - this week should be a snap if you've been working so much on week 4!!! :) I'm excited to see how week 5 day 1 went! Keep us posted. I"m trying not to dread it. I know the attitude will make all the difference. Give us good news!?!?
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    W3D2 Completed!!!!

That's weird about that other Podcast - haven't been using that one. But I added another 90 second run on the end of Robert's anyway, I just go back to the start for the 5 minute cool down - I didn't think it was quite enough, and it was just under 30 minutes and I wanted to be sure to make 30 minutes.

Running is changing more than my health!!! I have never known my neighbors - we all just keep to ourselves in this quiet suburb - no one speaks, sometimes I'd wave and get a wave back, but that is the upper limit.

When I started this I know I was a curiosity. People out in their yards or driving up and down the cul-dee-sac would stare. Now suddenly people are smiling - waving, shouting greetings. It's amazing. This morning it was still dark, and a truck began to stop as it came down the street towards me. I got this sick feeling, that's usually not a good thing. But then this male voice shouted in a VERY encouraging way "You go girl, you keep up this hard work!"

I cried. I just cried tears of joy. That was not the reaction I thought I'd get. There is something else at work here. Wow.

I hope everyone else has as amazing a w3d2 as I did!

That is AWESOME!!! Thank you for sharing that! This really does go deep, far and wide - wow wow wow. :)
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ok...I thought I was retarded!!!! I have been stuck on week four for 3 weeks and it was because i was so tired that I couldnt complete the last 5 minute run but now tha tmakes more sense because I was confused at the last bit of her "non verbal cue" week becuase it seemed to be too long!

thanks for the tip. Im just headed out for W5D1 in 5 minutes!

Maddie - this week should be a snap if you've been working so much on week 4!!! :) I'm excited to see how week 5 day 1 went! Keep us posted. I"m trying not to dread it. I know the attitude will make all the difference. Give us good news!?!?

Thanks Smiles :) Well I managed the first run of week five well, but my music player died on the second day so i just kept running when I could and took a bit of a walking break if i needed too (see my post above for full details lol) but I am all prepared to do my 20 minute run tomorrow morning. I am just going to walk for a few seconds/minute if I find I need that quick break to keep going!!!

And absolutely attitude makes all the difference..thats the one thing i am really struggling with sometimes is telling myself I can do it!!! but seeing everyone else's postive self thoughts and postive encouragement to others definately helps to get the job done too :)
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    After spending quite a while reading through various couch to 5 k threads... I notice not many comments about tying the running into wt/inches lost. What is your experience in that department?

I was at a weight plateau when I started, but now going into my 4th week the weight is coming off again, just as quickly as in the very beginning of this for me. AND for the first time in years I'm noticing my muscles!!!! It's hilarious. I have leg muscles. Inches coming off faster. I love this.

I may never be a long distance runner, but I'm going to do this 5k thing for the rest of my life, it's wonderful.
  • Wecandothis
    Options

And absolutely attitude makes all the difference..thats the one thing i am really struggling with sometimes is telling myself I can do it!!! but seeing everyone else's postive self thoughts and postive encouragement to others definately helps to get the job done too :)

There are all kinds of posts and articles around the internet about the 'Runner's Wall'. It's a well known phenomena. It honestly does come down to willpower. It's a mental game. The 'Runners Wall' does not just show up in running, but that's where you encounter it the most. It's the point where you really believe you can't go on - in anything - running, mathematics, you name it. But if you can summon the will to just take a few more steps, then a few more than a few more, you're beyond the wall.

I've only encountered it in very small portions - but perhaps that's another thing this C25K is good at. Introducing us to the wall, and allowing us to conquer it while it's still small, so that when it becomes bigger we have the courage to plow through.

I know we can do this. Every single one of us is struggling, waging our own war against weight gain. And we've all had our successes - and sadly our failures - but if you're reading this you're still a warrior! You're still in the battle, realizing that you won't win every one. So I know we can do this! I'm going to do it even if I have to repeat days or weeks, even if I have to go back a week and start over I'm going to do this. I know you are too!!!!

I salute you, fellow warriors!!!!
  • dwnjjugalette
    Options
    Okay so to help supplement my C25K problem with the fires, i started working on the total gym here at work. WOW! What a workout! If you have access to one of these, you should definately try it out. Even the beginner workout was tough, but boy do i feel great!
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    I haven't been able to get online too much the last week, but I started the couch to 5k program on Sunday and have done it 4 days this week along with either walks with my dog or my biggest loser boot camp dvd on the days I don't run, and I love it so far. Tomorrow I start week two I am super excited.
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Finished week 6 today with a 25 minute run! Wahoo! From here on out it's just increasing distance and a mere 5 minutes more running time. Easy peasy!
  • JNC87
    JNC87 Posts: 16
    Options
    wow great job!!!! thats awesome I finished week 1 today which i felt good about. what speed do u run at?
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Good job, keep it up. I start week two tonight and can't wait.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I had a long weekend away, so I didn't get my last run in for Week 2. I meant to run on holiday, but we were site -seeing and walking ALL day - my legs already hurt from my running and all that walking and standing - was just too sore and too tired.

Actually, my legs are really really sore this past week. I think I will be once again repeating a week starting tomorrow. I'm thinking my legs are taking longer to adjust to the workouts. Well, I'll catch up on the board tomorrow. Hope everyone had a good weekend.
  • caseyamber
    Options
    w3d1 done. It was tough, but I finished the whole thing. Wahoo! In the middle of one of the 3 minute runs I started thinking about how hard the next week was going to be, but then I stopped myself and reminded myself I only had to finish today,and not worry about what I would have to do later in these workouts. That totally helped with the mental part of the run.
  • debtdummy
    Options
    just done w1 d2 im knackered
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    W4D1 complete!!!!

This really works! All last week, and right up to the moment I left the house to run, I was positive that I could not do the 5 minute run. But I could! This training really does work!!!!

I just kept my thoughts away from how long I had run, or how much longer I had to go and it worked!!!! I was slow, very very slow, but I still did it!!!

I am pretty sure that I'm going to break up week 5 into three weeks, but you never know!

Gratz to everyone still going, and welcome to everyone who has joined! You won't be disappointed if you just keep with it.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Can I join late?
    I just finished W1D1 and I loved it.
    I tried it once, but had no support to keep going, I'm hoping this team (if I can join) will help with that.
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Can I join late?
    I tried it once, but had no support to keep going, I'm hoping this team (if I can join) will help with that.

Please join! We're all on different days and such, it's just great to be in a group where everyone is going through the same thing! :) Welcome!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Can I join late?

Please join! We're all on different days and such, it's just great to be in a group where everyone is going through the same thing! :) Welcome!

Wooh, thank you!
    Lately I've only been counting calories, but I'm hoping some exercise will help me along.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    W 2 D 3

Going to repeat W2, also. So, I'm on my 4th week of running, but week 2 of the plan. My legs just feel too sore. So, I'm going to take it slower. I'm the slowest runner out there, but at least I'm moving.

I think next week I'm going to get a massage for my legs and feet - since I'm so sore, but sticking with the plan. It is a treat and a treatment at the same time.
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 today. No problems with the three 5 minute runs. :bigsmile:

For those of you who are new and are struggling, let me pass along some advice I was given: Slooooow doooown. If you are getting shin splints and having knee and foot pain, slow down. Make sure you are stretching out those calf muscles...best thing to avoid shin splints. You should stretch your foot so that your toes are being pulled toward your shin. I use a wall (stand with heel on floor and toes and ball of foot against the wall) or if I'm at the park, I use one of those concrete parking space markers. Lean into the stretch so you feel it in your calf muscle.

The three things that have worked for me, and I've not had problems doing the runs are as follows:

1. Stretch the calf muscles
    2. Invest in a good pair of running shoes
    3. Slow down...you can work on upping the speed later.

One other piece of advice I was given if you are using a treadmill, put the incline at 1.0, this also seems to help with shin splints.

Good luck everyone and keep working on it...we will all succeed!
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    alllllriiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhtttt!!! I just finished the 20 minute run at the end of week 5. I really struggled and I ended up walking for 30 seconds to one minute a couple times, but I also ran an extra 3 minutes after the "20 minute" part ended to make up for it. I just dont have the lung capacity yet to do the full 20 minutes but its getting better and better.

I found a HUGE jump though from workout 2 to workout 3 (the 20 minute run) though. I found it really hard to add in that extra 4 minutes of running and taking out that 5 minute break from the run before. I think I am going to push through to week 6 though because it looks like it will lead into the 25 minute run at the end easier than week 5!

I agree with everyone though, we really really really can do this :)