"Meat and potato" man-approved recipes?

Options

Replies

• fbichick
    fbichick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Some of the recipes everyone has posted sound great and yummy. However, I have to add a comment about the ground turkey. I saw something or read it somewhere, I can't remember, that if you use the extra lean ground beef with 7% fat or lower, it is actually leaner than the ground turkey. The statement that was made was they have to add fat to the turkey and it often ends up higher in fat than the ground beef. When I cook my beef, I always rinse it off with hot tap water to help drain all the extra fat.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Some of the recipes everyone has posted sound great and yummy. However, I have to add a comment about the ground turkey. I saw something or read it somewhere, I can't remember, that if you use the extra lean ground beef with 7% fat or lower, it is actually leaner than the ground turkey. The statement that was made was they have to add fat to the turkey and it often ends up higher in fat than the ground beef. When I cook my beef, I always rinse it off with hot tap water to help drain all the extra fat.

I buy the Extra Lean Ground Turkey. The problem is it's much drier and much more expensive. Although, beef is higher in saturated fat than turkey. The protein and iron levels in both are nearly identical though. There are positives and negatives to both.
  • jencopes
    jencopes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I need to read these later but wow!! Thanks everyone for thee wonderful ideas!
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    Bump
  • Hubbafer
    Hubbafer Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I literally made "meat and potatoes" the other night from Skinnytaste.com

It was excellent:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/braised-brisket-with-potatoes-and.html

LOVE this recipe!! Making it this weekend again :)
  • saintsfanatik
    saintsfanatik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My husband does not like vegetables. Ok, he likes broccoli-with tons of cheese, and cabbage-fried in bacon, and corn-you know how healthy THAT is! He keeps saying he will try to eat better but every time I make something healthy, he doesn't like it. I have recently lost some weight and he has been inspired (nagged) to do the same! Does anyone have recipes my meat and potato man will eat? Thanks for your help!

It sound like a Ketogenic Diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet) is right up your husband's alley! Liberal amounts of meat, cheese, eggs and cream, above-ground veggies, and he'll be so satiated with a relatively small amount of food that he'll run a calorie deficit, and the weight will fall off!

Now, before you knock the diet as "unhealthy", know that there is sound science behind this. Low-carb, high fat eating plans have been documented and have sound science (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/science/The_Science_of_Low_Carb_Diets.htm) behind them.

If your hubby is the type that doesn't like to feel "deprived", yet needs to lose, perhaps you can introduce him to a low to moderate carbohydrate eating plan?
  • saintsfanatik
    saintsfanatik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot---here are some delicious recipies that most men will absolutely LOVE!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipereview/

Think your man might like a "Meatza" Pizza, a pork chop with Bleu Cheese Gravy, or a delicious cookie, or a Hamburger Casserole? This site has those and hundreds more recipes.
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    men.,,.. BUMP
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    keeper
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    i made a taco turkey loaf just the other day and man was it yummy.... everyone made it disappear

1lbs ground turkey
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2cup of green pepper
    10 saltine crackers
    1 packet of taco seasoning

bake in oven on 350 for around 40 min and enjoy
    will make 4-5 servings

This sounds like something he might not turn his nose up to!

I wanted to make the turkey chili, but it's been too warm! I have been grilling a lot and I made chicken stir fry with no oil and he ate MOST of those veggies! Thanks to everyone with all the great ideas! Keep em comin!
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    My husband does not like vegetables. Ok, he likes broccoli-with tons of cheese, and cabbage-fried in bacon, and corn-you know how healthy THAT is! He keeps saying he will try to eat better but every time I make something healthy, he doesn't like it. I have recently lost some weight and he has been inspired (nagged) to do the same! Does anyone have recipes my meat and potato man will eat? Thanks for your help!

It sound like a Ketogenic Diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet) is right up your husband's alley! Liberal amounts of meat, cheese, eggs and cream, above-ground veggies, and he'll be so satiated with a relatively small amount of food that he'll run a calorie deficit, and the weight will fall off!

Now, before you knock the diet as "unhealthy", know that there is sound science behind this. Low-carb, high fat eating plans have been documented and have sound science (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/science/The_Science_of_Low_Carb_Diets.htm) behind them.

If your hubby is the type that doesn't like to feel "deprived", yet needs to lose, perhaps you can introduce him to a low to moderate carbohydrate eating plan?

He talked about trying low carb, but all his favorite dishes include pasta or potatoes! I will have him look up the ketogenic diet, and see if he is interested in that! Thanks for your help!
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bumping for later!
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How about some low-fat beef chili? Here's what I make (serves about 4):

1 lb ground beef
    1 onion, diced
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    15 oz. can diced tomato
    small can of tomato paste
    15 oz. can kidney beans
    1 cup orange pepper, diced
    15 oz. can kernel corn
    garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, tobasco to taste

Put the olive oil, ground beef and onions in a pot and cook at med ium to high until beef is browned. Add remaining ingredients and mix, lower heat to simmer. You can eat it very soon, but the longer it simmers the better it will taste (reccomend about 2 hours).

A serving should be around 420 calories, 40g carbs, 15g fat, 28g protein, 9g fiber.

The best part about chili - you can mix and match all of this until you find the mix that both of you like. Hope this helps!

Do you think this would be good with ground turkey? I got carried away when it went on sale and our freezer has more turkey than we know what to do with?!
    I always make my chili with Ground Turkey!! It's yummy!
  • krkoch1983
    krkoch1983 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zomoro56
    zomoro56 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I grill steak, but switched to top sirloin instead of our usual rib-eyes.... I also cut up red potatoes, put in tin foil with "Icant believe its not butter" seasoning salt, and chives, and grill those on the grill with the steaks. I slice the sirloin in strips (kinda like they do on the cooking shows haha) make it pretty on the plate, add potatoes and a salad... hubby is happy he has steak and potatoes, and the plate is full to the brim! I'm happy because it looks pretty, involves steak, and is around 600 cals. lol
  • Captain_RG
    Captain_RG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump (some of these recipies are AWESOME!) :)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Bump