Avocados!

Options

Replies

• adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yum! I consider this one of my "good fat/calorie" kinda foods.

I use avocado on veggie tacos and veggie sandwiches... especially guilt-free if you spread the avocado on the sandwich in place of a dressing/mayo/whatever else you might have used.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    just sliced, little salt, cayenne, and eat!

also tasty on sandwiches, wraps, on top of fish/chicken...awesome in salad!!!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    lol. i'll eat a whole avocado in my salad. those are awesome calories.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Why why why must avocados be so high in calorie and fat??????? :sad:

Having said that, I like to make my own guacamole (jalapeno juice, onion, bell pepper, sea salt) and recently, I've been cutting them in half and sprinkling salt on it and having it as a snack! YUM! :love:

But, I agree with another poster, I don't try to eat a ton of it because of the high fat content despite the fact that it's "good" fat. It sucks because it'll totally throw off your macros with just a little bit. :noway:
  • kyhall4
    kyhall4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Grilled avocado & onions on a turkey sandwich! YUMMM
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    personally, I have a difficult time getting all of my calories in for the day. so it's nothing for me to eat half an avocado with a spoon, right out of the rind. love me some avocado!
  • mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I often use ripe avocado in place of mayonnaise.
  • ejanderson
    Options
    I put avocado in literally everything. I just use however much I have calories for. They make EVERYTHING taste better! :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Why why why must avocados be so high in calorie and fat??????? :sad:

Having said that, I like to make my own guacamole (jalapeno juice, onion, bell pepper, sea salt) and recently, I've been cutting them in half and sprinkling salt on it and having it as a snack! YUM! :love:

But, I agree with another poster, I don't try to eat a ton of it because of the high fat content despite the fact that it's "good" fat. It sucks because it'll totally throw off your macros with just a little bit. :noway:

avocados are the GOOD kind of fat. the kind of fat the burn the bad fat deposits in your body.
  • Motivation
    Motivation Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just eat 1/2 of an avocado if you are really that concerned about it. They're too good to pass up! I love having them on turkey burgers. Don't worry if these will push you over your limit, even if they do I think almost everyone here would agree that it's OK.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I eat them with a little salt all by themselves. a 1/2 or a 1/4th of one won't kill your diet. Healthy fat!!!
  • Maritime_Mama
    Options
    Spread on toast for breakfast or cut up in cubes in a salad! YUM!
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I take half a ripe avocado and mash it with a tsp of honey and eat it on my toast....YUMMY!
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/4 of an avocado just about every day. (I put it on my sandwich)

For whoever wanted to know about how to buy them/cut them:

I buy a ripe avocado from the grocery store (looks brownish on the outside, has a slight give to it when you gently squeeze it)

I wash it and then I slice it in half. I pull it apart and one half will still have the pit in it. I then take the other half and I slice that in half. (giving me 1/4 of an avocado)

I peel the skin off of my 1/4 avocado "wedge" and then I slice it up and put it on my sandwich. I put the remaining 3/4 of the avocado in a ziplock baggie and stick it in the fridge until the next day!

I'm a big avocado fan!
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use avacados instead of mayo on my sandwiches and I mix it in with my tuna salad. Love the stuff :)
  • reggiekalicious
    Options
    I mash an avocado, add half a can of drained rotel tomotoes, and eat with a cup of raw baby spinach on a whole wheat tortilla. YUMMMY, and very filling!
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I like to eat avocados with garden fresh salsa, salt, and pepper. SO DELICIOUS. I don't even need anything to go with them. I can eat them plain too. LOVE THEM!

On a burrito or sandwich is good too. Sure they have calories, but if you view them as like the meat or dairy of your meal, then its not any worse. Plus, because they do have good fats, they keep you more full than some other things.
  • rehtaeh78
    rehtaeh78 Posts: 90
    Options
    So many great ideas, THANK YOU! I picked one up at the store today, so tonight I'll live on the wild side and give it a try :)
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I LOVE AVOCADOS!!!

Sorry for the caps but seriously...they rock my world. LAst week for the first time I tried and avocado grilled cheese sammich- it was light wheat bread, ff american cheese, miracle whip, turkey breast and some smushed avocados with lemon juice salt and pepper. Slap that bad boy on a skillet for a few minutes on each side and enter grilled cheese heaven!