Frozen Salmon?

Options
2»

Replies

• FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I use a dijon mustard to glaze the top of the filets (after defrosting), then season wiht taragon and a little salt on top of that. Pre-heat your broiler, put your oven rack at the top of the oven, and then broil the filets for about 7 minutes per inch of thickness. Easy peasy and no need for oil or butter!
  • hwledford
    Options
    Dijon mustard is AWESOME with salmon. Put it a generous helping on it and then bake it.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I bought some frozen salmon filets and was wondering, how do you season and cook them? I could bake them or use my indoor grill or pan-fry, but was wondering if anyone had any good recipes? I bought some lemon pepper seasoning because a very dear friend recommended it to me and was thinking about using that, but I am up for suggestions as well. Thanks in advance for any help! :bigsmile:

Salmon has so much flavor on its own and really doesn't need anything besides salt and pepper (I also think lemon pepper seasoning is nasty stuff). But it does pair nicely with citrus, so you might make a lemon or orange-based marinade. Salmon also works well with Asian flavors-- brush it with terriyaki sauce, or make a miso butter and melt it on top. Or make a Morroccan spice rub. Salmon can stand up to some pretty assertive flavors, compared to other fish.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Thaw it and then do anything you would do to regular salmon.

I usually do salt, pepper, lemon, garlic and dill.
    Maple & brown sugar is also nice.
  • bktibbetts
    bktibbetts Posts: 140
    Options
    bump
  • chris_sy
    chris_sy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love Wasabi Salmon Burgers (recipe for 1 serving):

1 teaspoon Wasabi paste
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    3.5 - 4 oz salmon fillet, cut into small cubes
    1 egg white

Slighly beat up the egg white with a fork, add Wasabi, Dijon mustard and salmon - mix well. Heat nonstick frying pan and form a burger from the mixture => bake from both sides until well done (i.e. if salmon was frozen - fresh salmon can be served slightly raw in the middle).

Serve with soy sauce and enjoy! I usually eat cooked spinach with it.
  • Candida1983
    Candida1983 Posts: 188
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I think I'm going to make the salmon with the Dijon tonight! :bigsmile: I will be more adventurous and try others later, thanks again to everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I live far from the sea so most fish I buy is frozen, since what they sell at the fish counter is mostly previously frozen and thawed or close to $30 lb. Be sure to thaw it completely first and dry it. Thawed fish is very wet so you want to get all that water out before cooking.

I love salmon so I usually season it lightly so as not to mask the flavor too much. Usually just a light coating of black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. It is good blackened too, though. Many people like it with a light bbq type sauce or served with a mango/cilantro salsa, but I don't care for anything sweet with it.

Also, don't overcook it. Salmon is best cooked medium rare to medium.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I thaw it. Spray down some aluminum foil with some non stick spray (enough aluminum to make a packet with it). I add some fat free Raspberry vinegrette. Close the foil packet and throw it on the outdoor grill. About 3 to 5 minutes per side (depends on how thick the filets are).
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm boring and I don't LOVE salmon, (I will eat it though) I just salt and pepper then some lemon. Sorry! Kinda choke it down!

^^This is so me!

Salmon is one of those foods that i know is so so good for me in so many ways, but I really have to chock it down too. Sad though,its a common fish here in Sweden, so well priced, but I really cant stand it!
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I make frozen salmon AT LEAST once a week--here are a few of my favs
    Basil pesto with just a splash of milk to make it creamy

"fra diavolo" - in a spicy tomato sauce

sauteed and topped with tomatoes sauteed in balsalmic vinegar

and tonight we're going to try salt, pepper, and olive oil and grill it on the Foreman.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Always thaw first..

I am pretty unfancy. I typically do my salmon and trout the same - pan-fry or bake, loaded with dill and maybe a bit of paprika and/or cayenne and/or lemon juice and/or garlic powder.

But I also sometimes chop it into cubes and toss it into a rice recipe like such: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/adolson13/view/recipe-fresh-fish-rice-medley-234846
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    pour a little Yoshida's Teriyaki in the bottom of the glass dish, put the salmon on top of it, cover and bake for 20 min @350, then uncover, pour sweet chili sauce over it, and broil it for the last 5 minutes.

Divine.