Too Much Fruit?? (Fruit,Vegan,&Weight loss)

Options

Replies

• adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Youre going to be fine. Fruits are great and what we're ment to eat. Trust how your body feels and go accordingly. Im pretty sure if you ate the equivilant amount of sugar in lets say a bunch of strawberries mangos and kiwis and then compared it to getting the samount of "sugar" (used loosely for that processed garbage) in a bunch of cola...youd probably feel great with one and ****ty with the other.

No one ever had their doctor say "Youre really going to have to stop eating all those fruits"
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I think I eat more fruit than you and it seems to work fine for me. You might want to consider upping your protein though, especially if you are exercising.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have insulin issues so take my advice w/ a grain of salt ... of the fruits/berries you mentioned i'd cut back on the grapes because those are REALLY sugary. No reason to cut a bannana or apple from your diet, that's great fiber and potassioum in there - you have to eat SOMETHING after all. Make sure to get plenty of veggies and beans though and you can enjoy your fruits.

Next time you are at the doctor's have them measure your fasting blood sugar ... if your doc says it's in an acceptable range i wouldn't worry about it. If it's getting a bit high i'd cut back on some of the more sugary fruits.

alright thanks.. they are pretty sweet huh. and that's a good idea about the fasting blood sugar, I need to get tested soon for iron so I'll do that too. So, the more fiber you eat, the less the sugar in fruit affects you?? Cause I eat at least 40g of fiber a day
    oh, p.s., love your hair!!
  • HealthFreak1967
    Options
    I think I eat more fruit than you and it seems to work fine for me. You might want to consider upping your protein though, especially if you are exercising.

Lol :D
    And alrightie, I will definitely be having more tofu and soybeans! And that's good fruit's amazin
  • Llorraine11
    Llorraine11 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    i think everyon got ur mess.. why must u be so rude.. if that works for him ok.. If your way works for great... Lets not put people down we are all here for the same reason...geee
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm new here too and from what I can tell, the standards on this website for sugar are pretty hard to maintain for just about everyone, vegan or not. I'm having similar issues as you although I am not a vegan. I feel that if the sugar is coming from a natural source and not refined or otherwise processed, it isn't as detrimental to your weight loss goal. Time will tell I suppose. Good luck!
  • bktibbetts
    bktibbetts Posts: 140
    Options
    bump
  • BmoreGinger
    Options
    Good advice and thank you for the kind words... As a vegan myself I'm disturbed by such harsh comments.
  • HealthFreak1967
    Options
    Green leafy veggies are your friend here. Do a green shake in the AM, that helps a ton with getting you to feel full and satisfied. The first objection I get when I say green shakes is disbelief that I put Spinach, Kale or Romaine lettuce in my shakes. People don't believe that it can taste good, but it can. If you haven't already, get a good blender. I recommend either a Vitamix or BlendTec--yes they are expensive, BUT DW and I burned through enough blenders that we could have bought multiple Vitamixes.

Here is a recipe that we used the other day:

Shake.jpg

Ugh!! I always really really want to try making green smoothies or juices, but I don't have a vitamix and i want one so bad!!! So i mostly just make fruit smoothies with seeds for a bit of protein in there, since my blender isn't that great. And thanks for the advice about leafy greens, I eat them ALOT, kale and spinach especially, in salads or steamed :)
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Be careful of stomach ulcers when eating too much fruit (particularly citrus fruits). They really aren't pleasant - however you do need to eat an awful lot to run that risk (unless you have other health / diet issues as well).
  • HealthFreak1967
    Options
    I'm new here too and from what I can tell, the standards on this website for sugar are pretty hard to maintain for just about everyone, vegan or not. I'm having similar issues as you although I am not a vegan. I feel that if the sugar is coming from a natural source and not refined or otherwise processed, it isn't as detrimental to your weight loss goal. Time will tell I suppose. Good luck!

Yeah I definitely agree that refined compared to natural sugar is a big part of it~!! I guess we'll have to wait and see, thank you!
  • HealthFreak1967
    Options
    Be careful of stomach ulcers when eating too much fruit (particularly citrus fruits). They really aren't pleasant - however you do need to eat an awful lot to run that risk (unless you have other health / diet issues as well).

Scary!! I don't eat too much citrus, except for lemons in water and oranges a couple times a week, and the occasional grapefruit :P
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot more fruit than that. If you are staying within your calories, feeling satisfied, and don' t have any blood sugar issues, then you really shouldn't need to worry about it.

I'm a little surprised that your protein level is so low. Mine is usually closer to 60, but I do eat eggs. Maybe boost your nuts and seeds and whatever other high-protein foods are acceptable to you. Don't worry too much about the fat level in the nuts and so on. Are you meeting your calorie requirements, especially with running? How are you feeling? (Tired and headachey, or energized and happy?)

If I have too many high-fructose fruits (apples, pears, grapes) then it affects my blood sugar, so I don't go overboard on those and try to include a lot of fruits with a more balanced fructose/glucose profile, and make sure I am balancing them out with other foods.
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    And yeah, lot's of people have a distaste for vegans
    Actually I can't imagine many people really care what others eat. It's more the attitude that you're doing so much to help the animals...as if that 's everyone's top concern. The truth is, every animal raised as food is going to be slaughtered, not a single one is spared because you don't eat meat. Now if you're talking about hunted animals, then yes...not killing them in their natural habitat would spare them to live longer. But when you are looking at farm animals, they're doomed the day they're born. You not eating meat isn't going to stop farms, because we can't efficiently hunt enough wild animals with our population anymore. It's how we've evolved, sorry it turned out so bad for the cows and chickens.

As for protein...peanut butter has protein, if I were forced to be Vegan, I'd probably have to resort to a LOT of peanut butter sandwiches...which I could handle, because I love peanut butter so much.
    Also, surely there's some kind of protein powder you could find that qualifies for your chosen diet? Add that with some ice, a banana, a little peanut butter or fruit, and there's your protein, and tastes good.
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There is a group on here called "happy herbivores" that would probably be able to offer you more advice on this considering they share the same diet as yourself :)
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much, people are supposed to have 2-4 servings. Plus since humans in the ancient subsisted on fruits, nuts, veggies and a little meat i say youre doin great!
  • HealthFreak1967
    Options
    i have been a vegan vegetarian for a long time.. i do eat lots fruit and vegg.. but i do eat protein bars and shakes.. my skin is flawless.. i get told almost everyday i have a natural glow.. i was so over weight and i lost a lot of weight cause of my diet and i go to the gym 6 days a week for min of 2hrs even 3 sometimes.. i still am not where i want to be but i have had children and i am 40 and i look better than ever.. plus i am happy.. i am no expert on this but being a vegan or vegetarian works for me..

lorraine

Amen!!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Sorry of us on here were a bit rude about your diet choices not matching theirs.

I do not think you are eating too much fruit. Not at all. But you are not getting near enough protein. Someone down below gave a good calculation to shoot for.
  • HealthFreak1967
    Options
    There is a group on here called "happy herbivores" that would probably be able to offer you more advice on this considering they share the same diet as yourself :)

No way, thanks for telling me!! I'll check it out ^_^
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I personally believe that eating raw (fruits, veggies, etc) is exactly what we shoud do. The sugar is natural thus the body knows what to do with it. To slow down the absorption rate down of the natural sugars in fruit I try to eat my fruit with a protien like almond butter or cheese. But other than that it's a lot of hewey that this is bad for you. I have lost 85 pounds and I have done it on the very diet you are on.

Many people today do not realize that by not eating diets high in fruits and vegetables and healthy proteins, they are not "feeding" their bodies the necessary nutrients they need. They are eating 'empty' caloric foods that the body cannot use to heal the body and run if efficiently.

I do not eat gluten and grains because I personally have a problem with them but if you don't thats fine too.

I think the most important thing you said was you are staying within your caloric limits which is the most important. And exercise of course is the second component.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.