2nd Best Guitar Player of All Time

Options
iam_thatdude
iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
The line forms behind Mr Edward Van Halen.

discuss.

Replies

• BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    The second best guitar player of all time is dead. Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Sadly so is the first. Jimi Hendrix.

Best living guitar player is Jimmy Page, followed closely by Jeff Beck.

Ask Eddie. He will confirm it! :happy: :tongue:
  • daveclrk58
    daveclrk58 Posts: 258
    Options
    It's all about what you like. All the legends are unreal. Paige, Vaughn, Hendrix, Steve Vai, Malstein (sp?), Randy Rhodes, Zac Wylde. Eddie Van Halen is my favorite though. I love the 'brown' sound, they old school Frankenstrat design, and the insane hammer-ons Eddie is famous for. I'm going to see Van Halen in Nashville this Friday! 3 Freaking rows from the stage!! Whoooo woooo!
  • daveclrk58
    daveclrk58 Posts: 258
    Options
    <
    I'm actually wearing an EVH beanie in my pic!
  • TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It's all about what you like. All the legends are unreal. Paige, Vaughn, Hendrix, Steve Vai, Malstein (sp?), Randy Rhodes, Zac Wylde. Eddie Van Halen is my favorite though. I love the 'brown' sound, they old school Frankenstrat design, and the insane hammer-ons Eddie is famous for. I'm going to see Van Halen in Nashville this Friday! 3 Freaking rows from the stage!! Whoooo woooo!
    Cool! That should be a great show. I saw Van Halen back in 1978 at Madison Square Garden. They were relatively unknown at the time and were the opening act for Black Sabbath. They just blew everyone away! Enjoy the show.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Buckethead freak here, this is a hard one though lol, what style? Yngwie Malmsteen is beast, Segovia, Rip Dimebag...Also what about bassists? They dont ever get any credit
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Me.

Ok but really--don't put them in a list. It is, after all, subjective.

Stevie Ray for me completely embodies playing from one's heart/soul. Like a perfect, clear, channel hooked up from heart to fingers.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Joe Perry. All of the Gypsy Kings.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Lil Wayne.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    ummm...B.B. King?? #1 in my book. He started it all, and he's still around .

#2 Albert Collins
    #3 Stevie Ray Vaughn
    #4 Robert Johnson
    #5 Billy Gibbons or Duane Allman

You are talking hard / heavy metal rock guitarists of course. Listen to some of the old blues sometime.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    I once saw Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Pink Floyd, and The Fabulous Thunderbirds in the same week. The best guitarist I saw that week was Jimmy Vaughan, but David Gilmour was brilliant as well. Oddly, Joe Perry came across as bored and disinterested. Probably just an off night.

And Big Daddy, Albert Collins is incredible.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I vote Clapton.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Rory Gallagher for number 1.

He's the person that Jimi Hendrix called the world's greatest guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNfKtHvaPEU
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    The second best guitar player of all time is dead. Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Sadly so is the first. Jimi Hendrix.

Best living guitar player is Jimmy Page, followed closely by Jeff Beck.

Ask Eddie. He will confirm it! :happy: :tongue:

Actually, Eddie would say Eric Clapton, but Jimmy is better than Eric, Jimi H is #2 all time and Steview Ray Vaughn is wildly overrated.
  • iam_thatdude
    Options

This

Also, Stevie Ray Vaughn is only this popular because he died tragically.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Paco de Lucia
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Brian May.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Buckethead freak here, this is a hard one though lol, what style? Yngwie Malmsteen is beast, Segovia, Rip Dimebag...Also what about bassists? They dont ever get any credit

Love Yngwie.... he is awesome. As are both the dudes from Dragonforce.

But my pick (and not second all time since there's too many) but my fave is Mark Tremonti from Creed/Alter Bridge.. his solo's are very technical and fast but also very melodic and musical.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    ummm...B.B. King?? #1 in my book. He started it all, and he's still around .

Muddy Waters?
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Dimebag Darrell.
  • linguist98
    Options
    Les Paul