1. Eddie Van Halen
    2. Stevie Ray Vaughan
    3. Randy Rhoads
    4. Kirk Hammett
    5. Jeff Beck
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I like Eddie, but he's not the best in my book. I'd even be hard pressed to say who was the best ever, I'd probably change my mind half a dozen times before changing my mind another half a dozen times.

But I have to say one of my faves of all time and the only guitarist to consistently wow me in live performances (seven times, so far) - Tim Sult from Clutch/The Bakerton Group. The man is just amazing.

Based on their wikipedia they sound like a softer version of Dream Theatre. Not that that is a bad thing necessarily

U like Eddie, but some guy named Tim Sult is amazing? THanks for playing and your parting gift is The BEe Gees collected works of the 60's.

Ah, so if I don't worship at the altar of Eddie, some random dude thinks I can't possibly know what I'm on about? I can live with that.

Actually, im nto some random dude..IAM_THATDUDE, which automatically gives more weight to my opinions. PLus I know everything and since Tim Sult is not on my radar he must suck.

Oh, please forgive, I wasn't up to speed on your mightiness! You need to work on your pr. Seriously, check the guy out sometime, you might be pleasantly surprised.

They kinda sound like a more mellow Dream Theatre...not a bad thing per se
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I think Ted Nugent deserves a mention in this thread. The solo in Stranglehold has to be one of the all time best guitar solos.

My personal favorite, though, is Daniel Johns.
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    I think Ted Nugent deserves a mention in this thread. The solo in Stranglehold has to be one of the all time best guitar solos.

Agreed, Stranglehold was my ringtone for a solid 6 months. Daniel Johns is a better songwriter than guitar player.
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    Julian Bream

John Williams

Andres Segovia

you're funny
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Agreed, Stranglehold was my ringtone for a solid 6 months. Daniel Johns is a better songwriter than guitar player.

True. He's just my favorite overall musician. Kind of a Silverchair freak.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Jack White sucks.

<defriend>
  • iam_thatdude
    Options

True. He's just my favorite overall musician. Kind of a Silverchair freak.

Tomorrow should be the MFP theme song, just based on the "fat boy" line alone...plus arent the fatties always gonna quit...TOMORROW? I know I had YEARs of tomorrows
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    Jack White sucks.

<defriend>

sorry, but he sucks...like really sucks. His sister is an embarrasment too
  • Behl9
    Behl9 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The second best guitar player of all time is dead. Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Sadly so is the first. Jimi Hendrix.

Best living guitar player is Jimmy Page, followed closely by Jeff Beck.

Ask Eddie. He will confirm it! :happy: :tongue:

I thought Stevie Ray Vaughan too :drinker:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    6. Yngwie Malmsteen
    7. Joe Satriani

• iam_thatdude
    Options
    The second best guitar player of all time is dead. Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Sadly so is the first. Jimi Hendrix.

Best living guitar player is Jimmy Page, followed closely by Jeff Beck.

Ask Eddie. He will confirm it! :happy: :tongue:

Thats wierd since you both thought wrong. Well, Jimi is #2...to King Eddie

I thought Stevie Ray Vaughan too :drinker:
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    sorry, stevie ray vaughan is #1
  • sarahgilmore1
    Options
    Julian Bream

John Williams

Andres Segovia

you're funny

I wasn't being facetious
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    sorry, stevie ray vaughan is #1

sorry he is not. He is not actually in the top 10..his death overrates him. Good, not great. In fact I would argue his playing is recycled and deriritave
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like Eddie, but he's not the best in my book. I'd even be hard pressed to say who was the best ever, I'd probably change my mind half a dozen times before changing my mind another half a dozen times.

But I have to say one of my faves of all time and the only guitarist to consistently wow me in live performances (seven times, so far) - Tim Sult from Clutch/The Bakerton Group. The man is just amazing.

U like Eddie, but some guy named Tim Sult is amazing? THanks for playing and your parting gift is The BEe Gees collected works of the 60's.

Ah, so if I don't worship at the altar of Eddie, some random dude thinks I can't possibly know what I'm on about? I can live with that.

Actually, im nto some random dude..IAM_THATDUDE, which automatically gives more weight to my opinions. PLus I know everything and since Tim Sult is not on my radar he must suck.

Man you are "that dude" to put SRV in a category as overrated simply because he is dead. If you have not been grabbed by a single note of his playing (which has more attack, heart, soul, and grit than most guitarist can play in a lifetime) you sir, or...dude...are missing a few cells and ear for pure expressionism.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Jack White sucks.

<defriend>

just for the record - that's not his sister.
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    Julian Bream

John Williams

Andres Segovia

you're funny

I wasn't being facetious

I knwo but its still funny...the difference between your guys and almost anyojne else mentioned is the rock guys could play classical....the classical guys could never play rock. One dimensional
  • cabg6
    cabg6 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My top 5:
    1) Jimmy Page
    2) Slash
    3) Eric Clapton
    4) The Edge
    5) Eddie Van Halen
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Jack White sucks.

<defriend>

Ehem, not his sister. She's his ex-wife. And you should indeed be defriended!