Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Wow, I read this on the wrong day. I'm having a horrible fat day. I just recently posted some photos to get feedback because I just don't feel like I've changed all that much. People tell me I'm shrinking but I just don't see/feel it. This can set me up for frustrating days; when combined with PMS hormones raging, I can have some pretty cruddy days (like this one). I just have to cut myself some slack and keep slogging away. I have a feeling it's going to be a long trip before I feel good about myself. Just yesterday, doing Ripped in 30, I was working my way through my plank jacks and mountain climbers and jump ropes and thinking about how gross my thighs look and how I long for the day when I don't hear myself blobbing around when I jump up and down! Just gotta keep my eye on the prize: that two piece in my closet waiting for the end of June when I'm on the beach!!
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.

According to my ticker, I've lost about 57lbs. Since I started losing weight, it's closer to 100lbs. I'm currently at 147.

I was feeling amazing. That is, until I got used to my weight now. Now, I feel fat most days and am unhappy with how I am looking in the mirror and clothes. While I feel A LOT better than I used to, that feeling of me feeling ugly is still gnawing at me constantly.

Part of me recognizes that I do look good. I am getting tons of compliments and plenty of looks. The other side of me is beginning to prevail.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Some days, yes. Depends on if I've eaten right that day or not. Sometimes after/during a day when I've eaten alot of junk, I feel like I can't breathe. That makes me feel like I've gained about twenty pounds back. Most days, I've found that I actually have the opposite problem, though. Most days I actually feel thinner than I really am :bigsmile: :drinker: (I feel like I look like a size 10 or 12, when I'm actually a size 18W-20W)...until I look in the mirror or see a photo of myself, then reality strikes. :brokenheart: :cry: :sad:
  • TLynn0568
    TLynn0568 Posts: 36
    Options
    Absolutely, yes!!! I still feel much much heavier than I am.

Since I spent so much of my life avoiding mirrors I only have a dresser mirror in my bedroom and it's not like I'm getting a full-body view in that thing. The only other mirror I come into contact with daily is the one in my office's bathroom and seriously, an office bathroom with florescent lighting isn't doing me ANY favors. EVERY DAY I look in that mirror as I was my hands and EVERY DAY I can't figure out how in that mirror I look the same as I did 43 pounds ago! I went from a 12 to a 4 and when I see myself in that mirror it's like time stands still...at the beginning of my changes!

People have been calling me "so skinny" for a few sizes now and I'm quick to tell them, "I'm not, BELIEVE me!" Which is ridiculous! But the fat me that still lives within has to keep reminding me and everyone that she's still there. I hate her! And because I wanted to prove that voice wrong and because I've always said pictures are undeniable (knew that when I was heavier and avoided them AT ALL COST) I took one when I started losing weight and just last weekend I asked my daughter to snap a quick pic of me. She was, of course, shocked to hear me go from "Don't take a picture of me!" to, "Hey, snap a quick full pic of me before we leave, ok?" Granted, I'm still not fond of pictures because she said, "It's dark!" and I said, "I don't care - let's go!"

But when I look at the pictures - and only the pictures - can I really and truly SEE my accomplishments. But day to day, no way, still the heavy girl, no doubt.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't always feel fat, sometimes it's in the back of my mind that I'm still fat. Then I go to my closet and pull out my big girl jeans and my small girl jeans, I put them side by side, then put my big girl jeans on and realize I'm not fat no more, I'm not where I want to be yet but I'm not fat. That always makes me feel better. Looking back at my photo's I can see I'm not fat no more, but I've been over weight or obese most of my life, so I'm use to the looks of disgust and the feeling of always being fat. I use to always feel thin when I was fat, and reality was I was fat, now I feel fat and I'm at my thinnest.
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with that problem and have tried to talk to friends about it but they didn't understand. Reading through these, I'm glad I'm not alone. I look at myself in the mirror and see an XL on a bad day, and an L on a good one. Today I went shopping and had to go back and get a small shirt because the medium was too big. I still think it's just vanity sizing. My close friends act like they're worried about me, but I think it's just because they want me to stop obsessing and be happy with myself. My boyfriend pointed out my ribs today and my mom pointed out my hipbones and a friend hugged me the other day and sounded upset and called me a twig, but I see so many thin, gorgeous women on here who worked hard to have those bodies and I want one, too. I weigh less than my original goal weight and I'll probably just keep losing until I don't see a fat person in the mirror. I just hope that happens someday.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    yes i still feel fat 4lbs away from goal. thinking of upping my calories and just work on toning and forget that crappy scale. lol
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Sometimes at work people will call me skinny, and while it feels great, I feel like if they saw me not in scrubs then they wouldn't be saying that. I know when I look at pictures I can see the difference, but when I look in the mirror most of the time I still see myself at 193..
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It took me a loooong time to see myself as the size I am now, 6 months at least. It's mainly when I see a photo of myself that I realise I'm a normal size now (I'm not skinny). Weird thing is, when I was still fat, it was only through photos as well that I realised that I was actually fat. How is it, that what we see in the mirror, doesn't reflect what we really look like?
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    During my 15 month weight loss journey, I've found that my self image lagged behind my physical image 3 months or so. I won't stop until i achieve the body of my dreams.

I feel this way too....strive for perfection is my motto!!! Some days I look in the mirror and think I look good...and some days I look in the mirror and feel like my hips are huge or face looks fat that day...it's a hard image to break! So untilthe day i can look in the mirror EVERY DAY and think that I look good...I will keep working towards the "perfect" results!
  • taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It's really really hard to see yourself as you are.

I dont. I am constantly nagging and feeling bad, and frustrated with my friends telling me i'm losing too much or i'm "skinny" lol.
    My heart knows i look fine and different. but i cant get past my head saying "you dont look any different. you can get rid of this bit, that bit. lose more etc..."

It's quite dangerous if your mind is on the parinoid or obsessive side.
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I still feel that way all the time. It helps when I see myself in photos next to my skinny friends and I realize I'm not the giant one anymore....but even then I usually just think it must have been a good camera angle. It takes time.
  • Jnt1979
    Jnt1979 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes..I still feel fat too! I hate it...but im beginning to wonder if that is just how ill always feel lol. I remember being 150 and thinking I was fat..now I would give anything to be 150 lol
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    my brain still weighs about 230 lbs
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    Having lost a whole person, I can tell you that YES I still feel fat, I look in the mirror and my new body does not register at all, I still see the old me. When I grab one of my new shirts out of the dryer and go to put it on I still look at it and panic "This is NEVER going to fit" (and usually it's too big once I get it on), I still look at booths in restaurants or rides in theme parks and think "No way, I won't fit".

So yeah, I am still waiting for my brain to catch up.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    DITTO to everyone, but particularly this ...
    my brain still weighs about 230 lbs
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    YES!!!
    I didn't "mentally" realize I lost weight until I did a before and after picture. Then my jaw dropped and it put everything in perspective. Our minds can be silly at times. :-)

That happened to me also. Just a week ago I thought that I'm still a "skinny-fat" despite lifting heavy weights until I took some pics of me & my abs and actually I was shocked to see that my abs are becoming more visible in pics even from the camera phones.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I seriously feel the same way. I just 2/3 months earlier, I was 20 lbs heavier at my all time high and I'm STILL at my all time high, but my clothes fit a little better. I don't see any real concrete to me change and I just still see an obese person. I technically am borderline obese because I'm within 4 lbs and it just feels like it.

I hope once I do get to my UGW that the mental state follows suit fast! Here's to hoping!
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yes, very. I don't feel like I've lost any weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!