Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    You don't burn the energy you just ate, since time is required before even using it, as you dont use purely one nutrient over one another.

I often hear people saying to eat some carbs before a workout and protein after, and I that never made sense to me since the body doesn't digest it right away.
    Why would happen after hours of fasting regarding our aerobic stream ? :-)

I would say that in a fasted state, there would be no nutrients in the bloodstream, and therefore fat would have to be broken down.

I appreciate you posting this thread. I like knowing the reasoning behind things. I have been trying IF the last couple of days since I saw this post but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

Depends, glucose breakdown that leads to ATP can be done quickly supposing you just had in your meal somes oses (monosacharides) , having them in your bloodstream in an useable form could be done quickly

Regarding the used substrates, remember what I said on page 1 :
    The Respiratory Quotient (RQ) could be used in order to determine when you are currently getting your energy from.
    0.7 means you are using your fat
    1.0 means you are using the glycose.

The more you fast, lower the QR is (2 hours after a meal the RQ is about 0.95-0.90n after a night, the RQ goes to 0.8, and after 16 hours of fast (what's I'm doing), the RQ is about 0.7-0.8

:-)

but let's continue :

Why the REM sleep matter, and if resting is that important, don't our cardio sessions are counter-productive in a point ?
  • suziecue66
    Options

but let's continue :

Why the REM sleep matter, and if resting is that important, don't our cardio sessions are counter-productive in a point ?

According to the following link|
    "During REM sleep your brain is more active than any other stage. In fact, in some cases, it is more active than when you are awake. This activity requires fuel for thought, called glucose, the basic building block of most foods."
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/lose-weight-through-better-sleep
    (I know a Dr Oz link!!!)
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Bump
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    REM and deep sleep are both very important. Deep sleep allows for accelerated recovery of damage done during heavy resistance training. REM sleep is directly correlated with catecholamine production, I.e. adrenaline. This provides energy and a metabolic boost. OTOH, it is also correlated with cortisol production which we may want to moderate to improve fat loss and muscle gain. How can we do this?
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    "The problem is we often deal with stress mentally, and never respond to stress with physical activity that would burn the extra energy provided by the cortisol surge. Whether your stress was emotional or physical, the stress response is identical, causing a spike in your appetite. This can cause a craving for comfort foods-foods high in fat and sugar. [D. Reynolds. Stress, Cortisol, and Weight Gain: Hormonal Response Can Cause Weight Loss Failure, 2007]" http://cortisol.com/cortisol-stress-your-weight/

Physical activity is the answer to controlling the cortisol?
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    REM and deep sleep are both very important. Deep sleep allows for accelerated recovery of damage done during heavy resistance training. REM sleep is directly correlated with catecholamine production, I.e. adrenaline. This provides energy and a metabolic boost. OTOH, it is also correlated with cortisol production which we may want to moderate to improve fat loss and muscle gain. How can we do this?

Yes, exactly :-)
    "The problem is we often deal with stress mentally, and never respond to stress with physical activity that would burn the extra energy provided by the cortisol surge. Whether your stress was emotional or physical, the stress response is identical, causing a spike in your appetite. This can cause a craving for comfort foods-foods high in fat and sugar. [D. Reynolds. Stress, Cortisol, and Weight Gain: Hormonal Response Can Cause Weight Loss Failure, 2007]" http://cortisol.com/cortisol-stress-your-weight/

Physical activity is the answer to controlling the cortisol?

In fact no, the stress and activity higher cortisol levels.
    When they higher, even if they apply their catabolic action (breakdown) that last seems to enhance the tissue repairing stimulus : the breakdown of a tissue is necessary for it's re-creation. That is what the cortisol does :-)

Even if cortisol is required for us to live, having too much of it released is detrimental in the long-term. By it's catabolic action, it simply means that you would continually drain body proteins (loss in lean mass, bones weakening, connectivity tissues weakening, and skin degradation)

We can though lower our cortisol levels via four things :

- vitamin C :
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200304/vitamin-c-stress-buster

- Carbohydrates :) (again)
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/456724-cortisol-carbohydrates/

- Insuline (that the amino-acid leucine can trigger differently than CHOs)

- Fasting
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413096

After a workout, when cortisols levels are high, or if you are stressed, having a CHO or Vitamine C intakes can prevent it from being too high - thus allowing our muscles gains

Do you have any idea of much much vitamine C we should take ?
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ksmekate41
    ksmekate41 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lots of info to process here. I'm a fan of reading what the bottom line is, after someone else interprets all the scientific jargon! haha! For me personally, I've lost and gained weight so many times, my weight doesn't want to budge too easily now. I'm envious of those on here who have a low body fat percentage, because working out and calorie restriction has worked for them. Being over the age of 40 now, I have to say that the weight wants to stay on, regardless of how many workouts I do, and I can thank premenopause for that I'm sure. I have found though, that the tape measure is my friend, and the scale isn't. I've read my share of diet books, and there are more than a few that produce results. Here are a few that have worked for me in the past...

1.) Carb Addicts: Restricting carbs to one hour of the day, so insulin levels remain low.
    2.) Dukan Diet: Eating protein all the time, with no carbs, decreases the size of the fat cells. For people like myself, who have gained too much weight over time, I now have "daughter" fat cells on top of my regular fat cells. All I can do is reduce the size of them with exercise and diet.
    3.) The French Women Don't Get Fat Diet: Eat a few bites of the best food, all throughout the day, to give your taste buds the most pleasure.
    4.) The Extreme Makeover Diet has also worked for me in the past.

I'm now working on eating the foods I should eat based on my Pear shape, from the book "The Body Shape Solution to Weight Loss and Wellness" by Marie Savard, M.D. Gonna incorporate that with IF, and more strength training. I feel like I've done it all, with more success realized under the age of 40. Now I have to be smarter than a fat cell in order to lose anything, and that's with needing to lose a 100 lbs! :(
  • wackyfunster
    Options
    Re: age. My parents are around 60, and have had great results (1 lb. per week fat loss) on a basic leangains regimen. They were both already in decent shape, so that's a pretty big accomplishment. Suggests age is not as big a factor as people tend to think.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Re: age. My parents are around 60, and have had great results (1 lb. per week fat loss) on a basic leangains regimen. They were both already in decent shape, so that's a pretty big accomplishment. Suggests age is not as big a factor as people tend to think.

Maybe it's not that age is a big factor but the longer someone has been a yo-yo dieter. If you have been fairly weight stable throughout your life weight loss later in life may be easier than those that had big weight fluctuations.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Do you have any idea of much much vitamine C we should take ?
    Edited by Razique on Thu 04/26/12 10:03 PM
    END QUOTE

is it 1000mg (1g).
  • wackyfunster
    Options

Maybe it's not that age is a big factor but the longer someone has been a yo-yo dieter. If you have been fairly weight stable throughout your life weight loss later in life may be easier than those that had big weight fluctuations.
    I don't think it matters. I have about a dozen friends and family who have used different varieties of what we are talking about here, and all have seen fast and impressive results, even a friend with Hashimoto's (thyroid disorder).

IF+calorie and carb cycling+weight training just works, and with very minimal time investment.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    www.leangains.com great read!
  • suziecue66
    Options

I don't think it matters. I have about a dozen friends and family who have used different varieties of what we are talking about here, and all have seen fast and impressive results, even a friend with Hashimoto's (thyroid disorder).

IF+calorie and carb cycling+weight training just works, and with very minimal time investment.

Thanks.
  • ksmekate41
    ksmekate41 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yea, I think genetics plays a huge factor in how big or small you remain throughout time. I just watched a professional bike race in Switzerland, and they showed the stats on one guy being 5'9" and 154 lbs. Wow. I wasn't that thin in high school! I was 5'7" and 170-175. I didn't look like I was very much heavier than the rest of my class, but a whole lot denser, for some reason. Could be those Viking genes I'm carrying around. :)
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Bump
  • wackyfunster
    Options
    Yea, I think genetics plays a huge factor in how big or small you remain throughout time. I just watched a professional bike race in Switzerland, and they showed the stats on one guy being 5'9" and 154 lbs. Wow. I wasn't that thin in high school! I was 5'7" and 170-175. I didn't look like I was very much heavier than the rest of my class, but a whole lot denser, for some reason. Could be those Viking genes I'm carrying around. :)
    I honestly think fasting plays a bigger role than genetics in most cases. Someone who regularly skips breakfast (say 50% of the time) is burning something like 5 pounds a year of fat more than someone who eats 5 meals a day "to keep their metabolism going". That adds up to a LOT over time.

It's funny that everyone is now jumping on the paleo/natural eating bandwagon without thinking about IF: did cavemen have a fridge/grocery store and unlimited supply of food? IF has been a natural part of man's evolution, and is integral to cellular and metabolic maintenance.

I think general nutrition and activity levels play a much larger role than any other factors though. It's more a matter of people trying whatever the fitness industry snake-oil salesmen are peddling, finding out it doesn't work, and deciding that their level of fitness is beyond their control. It's not... It's just almost impossible to find good, effective info on weight loss. Since most strategies that DO work contradict what fitness mags, and "that one guy in the gym (you know, the really ripped one!)" say (carbs and raspberry ketones!), people dismiss them.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I honestly think fasting plays a bigger role than genetics in most cases. Someone who regularly skips breakfast (say 50% of the time) is burning something like 5 pounds a year of fat more than someone who eats 5 meals a day "to keep their metabolism going". That adds up to a LOT over time.

It's funny that everyone is now jumping on the paleo/natural eating bandwagon without thinking about IF: did cavemen have a fridge/grocery store and unlimited supply of food? IF has been a natural part of man's evolution, and is integral to cellular and metabolic maintenance.

I think general nutrition and activity levels play a much larger role than any other factors though. It's more a matter of people trying whatever the fitness industry snake-oil salesmen are peddling, finding out it doesn't work, and deciding that their level of fitness is beyond their control. It's not... It's just almost impossible to find good, effective info on weight loss. Since most strategies that DO work contradict what fitness mags, and "that one guy in the gym (you know, the really ripped one!)" say (carbs and raspberry ketones!), people dismiss them.

I do like IF. Haven't done it for a while but did 16 hrs from 8pm last night to 12 noon today. The guy from Lean Saloon used IF to slim down and uses it now in maintenance to be able to eat what ever he chooses.