Dog Owners/Runners

Options
JennaM222
JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
Hi Yall!

I am currently training for my first half marathon. I have a spot that I love to run outdoors, but the area can be sketchy at certain times of the day. Very early, and late at night. I love this trail becasue I ran a couple 5k races there before, and I know the exact distance I am running.

I have a 2 1/2 year old Pit bull/bull dog mix that I would love to take running with me when I go to my fave running spot. HOWEVER he is a maniac on a normal leash when I try to run with him. LOL it is NOT SAFE at all.

Are there any certain harnesses, gentle leaders, etc. that will keep him by my side at my pace?

Tosco & I thank you :)

y.jpg

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I personally love Kurgo harness' - I have them for my dog and I sell them at my stores.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 1/2 year old Pit bull ... he is a maniac ... NOT SAFE at all.

ZOMG A PIT BULL LOCK HIM IN THE CLOSET AWAY FROM MANKIND FOREVER!

There, I just thought I'd get that out of the way for future posters.

Our poodle does the same thing - SNIFF on the left - SNIFF on the right - DEAD HALT from a trot. It's annoying as hell. They make a harness sort of thing, example:

http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-collars-dog-harnesses/no-pull-dog-harnesses/easy-walk-no-pull-harness.html?sef_rewrite=1

it's not painful, but apparently makes them not want to pull and yank around.

(We haven't tried it.)

Good luck!
  • ymca1980
    ymca1980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a waist lead/ leash?

If you google that (or Canicross) you may find the sort of thing you are looking for. Specifically designed for running with your dog.

And Tosco looks gorgeous :o)
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!

Yes, there are tons of tools you can use :) When I run my Lilly, she wears her Halti - but there are also gentle leaders and a harness with the "O" ring on the chest of the dog, although I've never used that one.

With my experience with my crazy lab border collie mix, I would definitly recommend starting with a halti-style leader. It's going to take some time for Tosco to get used to it, but eventually if you stay consistent, it'll become routine Halti = RUN yay!

Hope this helps ;)
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! what a cute dog!1 Good luck with the training!
    sorry this is not as helpful but I have seen a person near me with a husky on a harness attached to her waist. Not sure of the name of it tho :@( sorry
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have a pitbull mix, and an american bulldog... both were crazy on the leash when we first got them - now I run with both of them (rollerblade and bike too). It may take a little time for your pup to get use to it but I use the gentle leaders with both dogs... it works great for us. Once he is doing well on the normal leash you can move to a hands free leash (basically a leash clipped to a belt you wear...) <-- they are great for running! Good luck!
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    I am spoiled and can usually let my dogs just run beside me as it seems no one uses the paths around my house! I used to run with them and found that they were a bit nutty at first but after a few kms we were all in sync. My mom bought these things called "gentle leaders" for them. It would be similar to a haltee. I don't use them but my mom does if she's watching the dogs.

Harnesses just encourage pulling unfortunately. Try a gentle leader and see how it works :)
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    YUP My 200# Dane runs perfect in his HALTI collar. much like a horse lead.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Maybe thats a good thing! You can run really fast! hehehe, sorry no real advice. My dog is slow and likes to stop every few minutes to sniff and he is a horrible running partner. If you can't find something for the dog, consider a new location. You can get apps for your phone that can calculate distance if that is a concern.
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My pits are the same way and I would love to take them running. I would love to see what people suggest! :)
  • kskostamikel
    Options
    When we first got our dogs our trainer recommended a body harness that has the hook for the leash on the front rather than up on the back. It works wonderfully because if the dog tries to pull it flips them around and they soon learn it does them no good to try and jog ahead. Also, use a regular leash and not the extendable ones or the harness does no good.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I have a dog that is the same way....I use a harness, and I find that once I build up speed the dog isn't sniffing around anymore and just runs steady with me. If I'm at a slower pace though he's all over the place.
  • nikita138
    Options
    I use a pinch collar with my dogs, it looked and sounded a little harsh to me at first but it worked great for them. i have a 100 lb lab and a pit <both are big babies lol> that used to pull at regular collars to the point where i was afraid they were going to injure their neck. as soon as the pinch collar went on they now walk right beside me. Good luck!
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    http://poshpetlife.com/stuff/training/premier-easy-walk-dog-harness/

I have this one!!!!!!!!!!! :)

and it works like a charm. Raine used to pull like crazy on a regular leash -- but now when he wears this he stays right by me. It doesn't hurt them - just feels awkward when the try and pull their body turns to the side (and they don't like it) so once they know - then they just stay by you :) Now Raine only needs like 1 foot of leash and that's it!

I still only take him for about 2-3 mile runs though -- he gets tired haha
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

What - you don't have a saddle for him?
  • kfhoffman12
    Options
    I have a choker collar that I use on my german shepherd, the one with the prongs. When he pulls, it 'pinches' him and he stops. Literally was trained within one week straight of using it. I have always had big dogs and the choker collar with the prongs has always worked for me. If you use them correctly, they will not injure your dog. I have also had experience with the gentle leads... they work for some dogs but not mine, he pulled right thru it. Also, try using a shorter leash because you have more control over how far they can go with out yanking your arm off. Thats another perk of having a full body harness as well. You are able to control their whole body and not putting all of the pressure on their neck and throat. Give him some time to get used to it whatever method you choose. Pits and Bulldogs are great learners and I'm he just needs time to adjust. Good luck! :)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

Do you use the one around the mouth/head or chest area? Thanks everyone for the advice!
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    If you are running it really isn't fair to use a gentle leader, I don't even like them when walking but then I own huskies and they were bred to pull ;p

your best bet would be to look into cani cross, there is a fb page called cani fit, you could join that, it's all about running with your dog

I would suggest a harness similar to a manmat walking harness, a 6ft lead and a walkie belt, the walkie belt allows you to be hands free but still connected to the lead and dog.

http://www.snowpawstore.com/sled-dog-equipment/dog-harness.html

http://www.snowpawstore.com/tag/product/list/tagId/7/

you can get them cheaper, I just used that site as a quick reference
  • juzhaz
    juzhaz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I run with my Grottweiler (Rotty/ German Shepherd) i have a training leash with various diffrent loops on it which makes it different lengths. One of the options enables you to have it around your waist with about 3 feet of lead that can be attached to your dog. She took to it quite quickly and it leaves your arms free while you are running.

Have a look on Amazon.com for:- The Buddy System - Hands Free Leash - Regular Dog System - Black Regular

This isn't exactly the one I have as I live in the UK but the principle is the same.

Hope this helps
  • nomadic_neenz
    Options
    That's awesome that you want to take your dog running and I'm sure he will appreciate it.
    I noticed you have a choker collar on him already - that's definitely helpful is he is a strong dog to begin with. However I think that the most important and helpful "device" would be consistent obedience training. Especially with the "pit bull stereotype" I would be important that he does not drag you around while you are out and about running.
    I would practice a combination of sit, down, heel, stay at least for ten minutes a day. This definitely would not need to be all at once, but maybe before you give him a meal - ask for sit, stay, then come when you are ready to feed him. Or do a quick, varied combination of all those commands before you go for a run to sharpen his attention on you. If he starts to get too strong and pull on your while you're running, redirect his attention & start running in a different pattern (the opposite direction, in a circle, etc.)
    If he is really strong it would be important to have him know the "come back" command, always keeping it positive! God forbid he got loose, he should come back to you pretty easily.
    If you want to try the Gentle Leader brand, I like the head collars much more than the body harnesses. People always say that the body harnesses are less detrimental to the dog's neck but dogs have extremely strong neck muscles and do not have the same anatomy as a human. By having head control, you can turn his attention back to your as gently or as firmly as you need. Whereas with a body harness, if he were to yank you to the left you would have less leverage.
    I like the martingale collars that are similar to a choke but release much faster than the choke. You can just google search or look for any variety on Petco, Petsmart, or the like.
    Good luck & hope it all works out for you! He sounds like a great dog :) Let me know how it goes!!