Did anyone NOT have a weight problem as a child?

Options

Replies

• CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    Nope, no, issues with weight 'till I was 28, when I got married.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I was a skinny kid (knobbly knees) until I hit my early teens and then I guess square would be a better description (not fat, just solid) and was terribly self conscious of having muscular legs (I biked everywhere) which, by the time I went to university, became an asset for playing rugby (I have a low centre of gravity...)

I started packing on the pounds in my early twenties working at a desk job.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Nope I've been thin my whole life.

Just in the last 2-3 years I've start gaining a little wight, but I was still pretty thin. 160 pounds at 5'10". I still looked good with clothes on and all but I was just a little jiggy/poochy. (my stomach and legs mostly. My upper body has always been tiny)
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Never had a weight problem as a kid.. I earned all that extra weight as an adult... Drinking sodas, eating crappy food, beer, and being lazy. Wish I would have done this about 10 years ago.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a weight problem until I was about to turn 30.:smile: Normal childhood, though I was never a tiny kid I was not overweight, either. I think that the seeds of poor eating habits were planted young, though. Sweets as reward, as comfort, etc. Big portions, the whole nine yards. It just took 30 years to catch up to me!
  • morrisca
    morrisca Posts: 12
    Options
    I was similar in that I was thin as a rail as a child and my early teens. I am a fast food junkie and haven't ever had good eating habits but as a kid, my metabolism was high enough to handle it. I probably gained about 10 lbs. in college and every year after but because I was so thin it really wasn't a problem until about 25ish. Then my metabolism STOPPED dead in its tracks. I gained 30 lbs. in a year and have been working for three years (unsuccessfully) to lose the weight.

While I didn't have a weight problem as I child, I did develop some really unhealthy eating habits and that has definitely affected my ability to lose the weight later on.
  • Raven_Blackblade
    Options
    I never had a weight problem till in just the last 6 years. When I got out of the military I was 105. Before I had my son I was 108.5lbs. After he was born I had an altercation with the hospital nurses because they couldn't believe that I was my child's mother. I came in wearing size 3 jeans, and my tits to my chin. It was AWESOME!
    My 4th and final child put me in bed rest for 6 months which screwed me up something awful. After he was born (and adopted out like the other 2 before my son), I was 125. This was in 2004.
    I am now at 164.6lbs. This has only gotten out of control in the past 6 years due to stress, moving, sickness, laziness, and exhaustion. Also I am sure that my quitting smoking may have had something to do with it even though I now use an E-Cig.
    It has only been recently that I have decided to put my foot down and say no to all of this. I was 175lbs in February, so it is coming off slowly, but at least it is coming off.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I was always skinny and athletic as kid until about 19yrs old, but from about 1999 (when this pic was taken) until now, i put on about 10lbs a year:

11549_1258533513591_1537239147_30703534_7257216_n.jpg
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was average. I only got weight issues twice. Back then It was from a medecine. Made me gaine 60 pounds in 2 months. And now I'm struggling to lose the baby weight. He's 13 months old and I have only lost 4 pounds. I'm so jalous of all my friends that did nothing and lost are their pregnancy weight.
  • epshinee
    epshinee Posts: 7
    Options
    I was a very thin and active child. I started pilling on the weight when I was 17 and went up to my highest of 180lbs. I have now managed to get it down to 148 lbs but I'm really struggling to get anymore off. I want to remember what it feels like to be thin again. Could use some friends on this for MOTIVATION!
  • mtpalacios
    Options
    I was very thin as a child and all the way up until my 4th child, than bam weight starting to come on. The only problem is I don't look like I weight 177. So it never really hit me that I had to lose weight until my doctor told me ... that I must lose the weight.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was quite thin until my senior year of high school. I was put on an antidepressant and I started slowly gaining weight. Then I joined the rowing team in college and saw that as a free license to eat whatever the hell I wanted and I ballooned up to 195lbs (from 140) despite working out 3 hours a day, 6 days a week at high intensity.

I got off the meds my last year of college, dropped 10lbs, then was promptly diagnosed with cancer (we're talking within weeks of going off the antidepressants) and lost the other 40lbs from radiation therapy (read: not eating anything because it all tasted like ash).

I gained a little bit of weight - 10lbs or so - when I got a job that had me sitting at a desk for 8 hours. So now I'm back to 160 and trying to lose the last 15 or so again. And get stupid strong along the way. Hooyah.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I was just recalling how effortlessly active I was as a child and teenager. I loved to run everywhere. There were no computers. I had summer jobs starting at the age of 14 but they weren't completely sedentary.
  • MyTime4Health
    Options
    I too never had a weight problem as a kid, even as a young adult. I had always been very thing. To the point doctors were trying to get me to gain! I was 98lbs the day I got married I'm 5'8". My first pregnancy was five years later. Doctors were concerned then still wanting me to gain. at 9mths I was 127! This trend continued through each of my next two children. Once I hit my late 30's i began to put the weight on. Because I was so thin most people just thought I looked healthier. However, I now am 50lbs overweight.

I'm finding it hard to try and loose the weight as I spent forever trying to gain it.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Your story could be mine! All thru hight school & college I was 90 pounds soaking wet.
    Got married at 27 years of age-perfect size 5 (and though ti was heavy then as I had recently gained about 5 pounds from 100/103 pounds up to 105/108. After marriage and 3 kids it has been nothing but an uphill battle. I weight more now than when I delivered my 3rd child. Had her at full term -was 152. Now can't seem to move past 155-156.. So I feel your pain!!! Good luck on your journey!:You're not alone. smile:
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Your story could be mine! All thru hight school & college I was 90 pounds soaking wet.
    Got married at 27 years of age-perfect size 5 (and though ti was heavy then as I had recently gained about 5 pounds from 100/103 pounds up to 105/108. After marriage and 3 kids it has been nothing but an uphill battle. I weight more now than when I delivered my 3rd child. Had her at full term -was 152. Now can't seem to move past 155-156.. So I feel your pain!!! Good luck on your journey!:You're not alone. smile:

Thank you!! :-)
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Never had a weight problem until I hit 20 yo.

In fact, as a child I was made fun of for being too thin.

Now, for some reason, I have a tendancy to pack on pounds when I'm not careful. Recently this last fight with my weight was because I was restricted on activity during my last pregnancy, but the pregnancy before that, I gained hardly anything, and lost it all within a few months.

There's some science that suggets that once you have had a weight issue, your prone to have another one if you're not diligent about diet and exercise. I'm not sure that isn't true.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem as a child.
  • fitfather
    fitfather Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Really?!? So few Chubby kids out there!!! I was husky as a child then ballooned up to nearly 300lbs in Jr High. Boy did we have a good football team! :smile: Then I got tired of being the fat funny kid and dropped down to 175lbs my freshman year. I’ve been playing this weight loss game a long time. :sad:
  • DawnM62
    DawnM62 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    never had a weight problem as a child/teen or young adult

gained a few pounds after the children were born but not a lot and by my thirties was the thinnest I had been since about 16 probably a combination of running after 3 kids working 30 hours a week and running a home I was fine, quite happy had a bit of a pot belly but not huge

hit 40 changed jobs started working with my partner in our taxi/coach business crazy hours no regular meal times or sleep times started having a glass or three of wine with the evening meal whatever time it may be 7.00 at night or maybe even midnight

was diagnosed with an under-active thyroid and hit the brick wall that is the menopause

well perfect excuse I could no longer be expected to be the perfect hour glass and basically just bought bigger clothes every time they felt a bit tight went up 4 dress sizes in 6/7 years

my 50's will be the new thirties