Avocados!

Options

Replies

• melodytv
    melodytv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    eat a half a day. It's like 110 calories or something. It's really good with shrimp or in salads and some light dressing. Good with couscous or quinoa.
  • nataliespq
    nataliespq Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, avocadoes are great plain, or with lime, garlic and some salt! Use instead of mayo, add to an omlet, or even though this may sound icky...blend avocado up with some plain greek yogurt w/without some stevia. It tastes like a decadent dessert!

I also think that the avocado helps with my arthritic hip. When my hip flares, I eat some avocado and it seems to help squech the pain.
  • lorazaruba
    lorazaruba Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SweetDee80
    Options
    I will mash 1/2 an avocado with some garlic salt and pepper and put it on a turkey burger. It's so good! Or I will just cut it into slices and put it on some fish tacos.
  • treisch
    treisch Posts: 13
    Options
    You need to be eating HEALTHY fats like those in avocados in order to lose weight... if you cut out all of the fat from your diet your body will try to hold onto more fat.... portion control is key!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I just had for lunch a salad consisting of

2 cups raw spinach
    1/2 avocado (sliced)
    4 oz chicken breast
    some chopped green pepper
    and some salsa

super YUM!! I love avocado....
    avocados are brain food, too (seriously, look it up - awesome for babies first food!!)
  • Nic529
    Nic529 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    They are simply great! No other way to say it!
    Whether its guacamole, in a salad, on a sandwich.. doesn't matter! YUMMMMMMM

And well worth the cal and fat!
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just planted an avocado tree in my backyard. I wasn't sure what to do with them other than guacamole. Guess I know now.
  • Dmaxsgirl
    Dmaxsgirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @Candida1983 ~~ Avocados & Pesto! Two of my favorite all time things! Thanks for the recipe!:happy:
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied (about 6-8 oz each)
    Chili powder to taste
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Cooking spray
    1 avocado, halved and sliced
    1-2 jalapenos, mined
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup chicken broth
    4 oz Neufchatel (light) cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup salsa
    1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese made with 2% milk
    Fresh chopped green onions
    Fresh chopped cilantro

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray shallow baking sheet with cooking spray.
    2. Butterfly chicken breasts and season both sides with chili powder, salt, and pepper.
    3. Heat large skillet with cooking spray (you can use a tablespoon of vegetable oil if you prefer). Place chicken in skillet and cook about 4 minutes (when ready to flip the chicken will easily lift), flip and cook other side for about 4 minutes.
    4. Remove chicken from skillet and place on baking sheet. Layer top of chicken with avocado slices.
    5. Place chicken in preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
    6. In the mean time prepare sauce. Saute jalapeno in medium saucepan with cooking spray (or a teaspoon of vegetable oil) about 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
    7. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
    8. Add cream cheese stir until smooth. Stir in salsa and cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
    9. Remove from heat and pour sauce over cooked chicken. Top with cilantro and green onions.

Hint: If the sauce is not the consistency you prefer, prior to removing from heat add additional chicken broth a splash at a time to thin sauce or a teaspoon of flour to thicken.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Avocados are not making people fat, No one should be scared of vegetables in their natural state.

avocados are technically a fruit, as are tomatoes.

I just bought a bag of 5 avocados at Costco for like $3.79,

My lunch for the last 3 days has been romaine lettuce, celery, baby spinach, mini bell peppers, 1 whole avocado, and a salmon patty. No dressing, just some lemon and lime. YUM!

I use avocados in my tuna salad instead of mayo...I *hate* mayo (ok, my tummy hates mayo)
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Avocados are not making people fat, No one should be scared of vegetables in their natural state.

THANK YOU! took the words out of my mouth!:flowerforyou:
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    1/4 avocado, small can of tuna, hard boiled egg white, lil bit of light mayo, salt and pepper to taste. My fav post workout snack. :wink: Dont worry, avocados are very healthy.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Avocados are fabulously healthy for you, so don't stress over the calories too much.

I love topping things with them. Tacos, enchiladas, burgers, sandwiches, eggs... everything is better with some avocado slices on top.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Just avocado mashed and spread on toast with some salt. Instant foodgasm.
  • asmithTXfit
    asmithTXfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love avocados .. my favorite way now is on top a hamburger patty (no bun). I no longer miss the bun bc of the yummy avocado. Also mango/avocado salad and just plain!
  • jinlopez
    jinlopez Posts: 38
    Options
    plain avocados :love:

Yep....plain avocados all the way. They may be high in calories...but they provide the good kind of oils. Your body will still burn fat and calories eating avocados. I'm not saying eat a million avocados per day. I eat 1/2 of an avocado, 1/2 of a tomato, and 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast every day. Good stuff! :smile:
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I really like putting 1/2 an avocado on a rice cake and topping it with crushed raw garlic (usually 2-3 cloves). It's very spicy and not for the faint of heart... but just a pinch of salt and it's delicious!
    It's also an awesome substitute for mayonnaise when making tuna salad. Use about 1/4 of an avocado for a can of tuna (more avocado if you like it moister), and add some mustard for flavour. Wickedly good, even better with dill mustard!
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    plain avocados :love:

that's how my girls and I like to eat them...