Should Public schools switch to uniforms?

Options

Replies

• ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    MMMMM...Catholic school girl uniforms..........
    sadly this was what i was thinking xD

but on the actual subject in theory it would be a good idea except the poor kids who DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY YOUR FANCY UNIFORMS!!! LOL just sayin
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    During my time in high school in Los Angeles California (Crenshaw High School) in the 80s it was nearly a fashion show. If you weren't wearing the latest fashions (Guess jeans, Miami Vice gear, Le Tigre or Ralph Lauren Polos, K-Swiss, Nike, or Diadora tennis shoes, parachute pants, or etc.) you were teased without fail.

When my now 21 year old son attended middle school here in the south Seattle area a strict dress code was enforced, not necessarily a uniform beyond blue or khaki slacks and white or blue Polo shirt. Kids would ridicule kids based on their shoes because you can't really tease someone based on a plain non logo Polo and no tag khaki or blue slacks.

In the south Seattle areas it appears schools adhering to some type of uniform are typically in urban areas versus suburbs.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm against it. It will make to many of our children to hard to pick out of a line up after they commit a crime.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

On the other hand: I wore uniforms from K-8th grade (Catholic school). Ok, we all had the same clothes on. Well, that just meant the kids in middle school had to find a different reason to pick on you or make fun of you. You don't have a cool backpack. You don't have the coolest shoes. Your parents don't drive a nice car. You don't live in the nicest neighborhood, etc. The uniforms did literally nothing to cut down on the have picking on the have nots...at least in my experience (I was considered a "have not" with the rich kids I went to school with. My mom was the principal so I got free tuition, and other kids could get scholarships...those kids got picked on for being "poor" too.)

This is definitely true and just what I was going to say. Even if you have a uniform, kids will find something else to show off their wealth or something to bully someone about.

Even in college, picking on others for their lack of wealth happens. I'm probably the poorest of out my three roommates, and I'm not even poor, just middle-middle class I'd say. I don't think they do it intentionally all the time but sometimes I get teased a little for my situation. I won't spend money to get my nails done when I can do it with polish I already own, and they don't get that. I've never flown on a plane, yet one of my roommates goes on Spring Break every year to locations like Mexico and flies at least once a year if not more.

Even the other day, I mentioned I was going on vacation and one of my roommates said "where?" I said "to a cabin up north for a week." She said "that's your vacation?" Um, yes, it has been, and it's been the only vacation I've ever been on.

So yes, bullying/teasing always happens no matter how old you are. Uniforms won't solve anything.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    YES. Good god, YES! I'm a public school teacher in a district where some schools do "standardized dress." Basically, they are given a choice of colors for their tops (red, white, or blue polos) and the bottoms have to be khaki (pants, skirts and bermudas are all accepted.) They can wear whatever shoes they want.

The particular school I work at, however, has opted NOT to do this. Dress code is a constant battle. Sagging pants are the least of it. I mean, 12 year old girls coming in with the word "*****" written on their shirt and things like that.

The parents opposed the measure because they wanted their kids to be able to "express" their individuality. Not through art or music or anything stupid like that! Oh no, through a pair of $120 Miss Me jeans that all of the other bratty little girls have, too. It's ridiculous. The parents use the kids to flash their money and the kids who don't have that money get made fun of.

Standardized dress/uniforms are the way to go, for so many reasons. Hell, I wish I got to wear a uniform so I didn't have to worry about what to wear every day!
  • Sb65513n
    Sb65513n Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In NYC most public schools do have uniforms now whether the parents choose to buy them or the staff enforces kids to wear them is a different story
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    No, hell no. Do you know how much school uniforms cost? We had tons of parents vote NO when they made the elementary schools in my school district switch to uniforms. Somehow the vote was passed and we ended up having to wear uniforms the next year. It was the worst year of my life. They were nice enough to give us a "jeans" day on Friday, but in protest the students wore whatever we wanted (within code of course).

I would hate to send my son to high school in uniform. Especially the one I graduated from. I went to an Arts and Science Magnet school. I was in Dance, Band, participated in spring musicals, marching contests, dance shows, etc. They would have to have public locker rooms in the halls so students could change clothes in between classes just to keep up with all the classes.

By the way, uniforms won't stop kids from picking on each other. Sure it's one less thing, but you cover up one problem and two more grow in it's place. It's like when a man loses his sight and his other senses become greater to compensate.

But maybe that's just in my little lonely school district.

/shrug
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Try taking away the individuality of adults and see what happens to society. :noway:
    Don't do it to our children either.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Brings up another point...blame the parents for how children dress, 9/10 they're the ones buying the clothes anyway.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

On the other hand: I wore uniforms from K-8th grade (Catholic school). Ok, we all had the same clothes on. Well, that just meant the kids in middle school had to find a different reason to pick on you or make fun of you. You don't have a cool backpack. You don't have the coolest shoes. Your parents don't drive a nice car. You don't live in the nicest neighborhood, etc. The uniforms did literally nothing to cut down on the have picking on the have nots...at least in my experience (I was considered a "have not" with the rich kids I went to school with. My mom was the principal so I got free tuition, and other kids could get scholarships...those kids got picked on for being "poor" too.)

THIS! Kids will find something to pick on, even if it isn't clothing. Uniforms are over rated. IMHO.

<---teacher.
  • judith3
    judith3 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    On the one hand: yes. Makes life about 100 times easier, saves money, takes away that "you don't have the latest brand name" competition stuff.

When I got to public high school (I chose to go public, I'd rather have killed myself than spend another 4 years with those snobby brats), I was SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY that I got to wear whatever I wanted (within dress code rules). I didn't realize how totally isolated from fashion and personal expression I had been my whole life! My family wasn't rich, we weren't poor, just comfortable, and although I didn't have all the latest brands or whatever (unless I had done a particularly good job at sweet talking my dad into something), I never got made fun of for my clothes in high school. I got made fun of for being in the show choir lol.

This 100%
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Yes. My boys went to a school and had to wear uniforms. They have also gone to schools and didn't have to wear uniforms. I liked the uniforms.

Lots of schools have a uniform exchanges also. My son's school did. You could buy any piece for $1.00 or bring X number of pieces and exchange it for the same number.

The best part of the exchange was most people used that when their kids grew out of a size during the year. So they brought in all the grown out of uniforms and exchange them, and the cost was $ zero!
  • h_wst
    h_wst Posts: 9
    Options
    Personally I'm against it. I wore a uniform for elementary school (went to catholic school) but then was allowed to wear what ever I wanted (well not whatever but you know what I mean). Lets be honest. Uniforms are freaking expensive and then you still have to buy clothes for the weekends & summer.

A lot of you are saying that uniforms will cut down on bullying but I disagree. Kids will always find something to bully about. Wether its shoes or hairstyle or weight or backpack or whatever. Uniforms are not going to make things magically better and all the kids will hold hands. What it will do is supress childrens sense of individualism!!!!

What will happen to those children that identify themselves as a different gender (i.e. girl who identifies herself as a boy or vice versa)? How will uniforms affect them? Lets be honest, kids are creative and they only have their childhood to express their indivulaism. When they grow up and go into the workforce they are going to have "uniforms" (men=dress pants & tie, women=pant suit or pencil skirt & button down blouse) so let them have fun as kids!

And the biggest thing.... if we make them wear uniforms then they will have no idea how to put together an outfit when they are adults! Its the same as having your mom lay out your clothes for you every day..... your going to have no idea how to dress yourself!!!!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I was made fun of for what I wore, generic clothes. I couldn't afford $50 Guess? jeans. I came from a poor, single parent family.

Who is going to pay for the uniforms? Currently, public schools in my area are sending home lists of school supplies with kids, and they show up with whatever is on their list, then the teacher throws everything in a pile and rations out all the supplies for the class.

personally, I don't think that is fair, Why should one parent who is barely making it pay for another child's supplies because their parent knows they don't have to buy supplies? Not that I believe most people are like this, I just happened to work with a lady that did just that, she only bought enough supplies for one child and expected her other child to be provided for.

Uniforms are great for keeping distractions/teasing down, but somebody is going to bear the brunt of the cost. "Forgive my uniform loan!"
    You'd still by school clothes if they wore regular clothes. The uniforms are usually subsidized for people who make less income.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I had a friend in private school, and saw her uniform catalog. Those prices were NOT comparable to Kmart prices. My single parent owned the house we lived in, so we didn't fall into the qualifications for free/reduced school lunches. I would have to believe we wouldn't have qualified for subsidized uniforms.

I know I wasn't the only family like that.

Yep! My son was in uniforms for a couple months (tried a private school, he HATED it) and it was expensive. I can see over the long run it saving money, but I had to pay for his uniforms, which were way more expensive than the clothes I buy him at Old Navy, AND had to make sure he has weekend clothes, shoes, etc. Uniforms can save money over time, I'd imagine, but going out and buying 5 uniform shirts and 5 pairs of uniform shorts so I wasn't doing laundry every day, that cost me twice as much as buying the same amount of clothing for non-school days.

I just have to say that it's hardly necessary that they have one uniform for every day. They're in school, not doing manual labor. Two pairs of pants would be fine. Shirts may be different, they get dirtier a little easier with BO and stuff. The need to have a completely different outfit every day is a very modern, and first world, idea. Used to be kids had school clothes, a set of very nice clothes, and play/work clothes.

And as for many people talking about the cost, many of the public schools where I live have "uniforms," but it's really a standardized dress code. We're not talking prep-school uniforms - just plain khaki or blue pants, a few choices of colors for polos, and no logos allowed. You can buy those anywhere and many, many companies now specifically market these types of close near the start of the year as school "uniforms." Additionally, many schools will ask parents to donate clothing when their child grows out of it so they can maintain a clothing bank, unless there's a younger sibling. Since all the clothes look the same, no one would know if a kid bought it new or not.

I understand wanting to express yourself, but students are distracted enough in school, and generally don't take it very seriously. There are many ways of demonstrating personality, individuality, uniqueness, whatever you want to call it. No one's identity should be tied to their clothing choices so much that they feel a loss of it if they have to go to school (or work) wearing clothing that they wouldn't wear at home or out on the town.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    In my country (Chile) we have to use uniforms in almost every single school, privates and public. Though this is very good to avoid children picking on each other because of the clothes they wear (you know, if you don't have much money or you have way too much it shows in the clothes) our world has made this uniform thing which supposed to be to avoid discrimination into a business.
    So the uniforms for public schools used to be the ones you could get at any store, now they' are "specific" uniforms for each school, and each school sells it and some of them way expensive.

The uniform of my cousin (he was at a public school) was more expensive then mine (I was at a private school), and that's just nonsense.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The parents opposed the measure because they wanted their kids to be able to "express" their individuality. Not through art or music or anything stupid like that! Oh no, through a pair of $120 Miss Me jeans that all of the other bratty little girls have, too. It's ridiculous. The parents use the kids to flash their money and the kids who don't have that money get made fun of.

This is the reason that I am glad my children are out of school. Some people just should not be teachers.

I don't think it is about individuality as much as requiring children to think and make decisions for themselves from an early age.
    Also, my children were active and clothes did not get worn twice. Body odor stays with the clothes and gives kids something to tease you about.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My kids are in elementary school and I would love to have them in uniforms. Old Navy stores sells uniform clothing at great prices, so it would not be a burden.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I never got teased for not having brand name something or other. I wore 90% hand me downs and I made the stuff I was given look cute. My brother got made fun of for wearing a belt in his overalls, but that's not really about brands, now is it?
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Never looked into uniforms before, so I'm curious, do they come in plus/husky sizes? Given the rate of chilhood obesity, I wonder if that's a problem.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    around here, there are uniforms sold everywhere!!! and they are far less expensive than name brand if you choose khols or target.

i would LOVE for my kids' school district to go to uniforms! life would be so easy :-)

i already stick to khaki pants, shorts, skirts for my girls and then a bunch of shirts in different colors. i get the pants in the uniform section of khols and target. they are much less expensive than going to gap!

and even if you do buy at a place like the gap or gymboree, the uniform clothes are still less expensive than the newest line of their clothes!
    I was made fun of for what I wore, generic clothes. I couldn't afford $50 Guess? jeans. I came from a poor, single parent family.

Who is going to pay for the uniforms? Currently, public schools in my area are sending home lists of school supplies with kids, and they show up with whatever is on their list, then the teacher throws everything in a pile and rations out all the supplies for the class.

personally, I don't think that is fair, Why should one parent who is barely making it pay for another child's supplies because their parent knows they don't have to buy supplies? Not that I believe most people are like this, I just happened to work with a lady that did just that, she only bought enough supplies for one child and expected her other child to be provided for.

Uniforms are great for keeping distractions/teasing down, but somebody is going to bear the brunt of the cost. "Forgive my uniform loan!"