not losing weight but doing Insanity???

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am doing Insanity and i have set my daily goal to 1000 calories but yesterday I changed to 1200 calories but I am not losing weight.. . Whats going on? I was hoping to lose at least 4 kg this month but nothing... help please...

There lies the problem. The diet guide that comes with insanity has the lowest caloric intake set at 1700 calories/day. You need to eat more, much more. If you set your goal at 1200, but eat back all of the calories you burn from exercise you should be fine. So if during a workout you burn 450 calories, you should not get less than 1650 (1200+450). For a program like Insanity you MUST fuel your body properly or you will risk losing lean muscle.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I did the whole p90x program on 1200 calories... I lost like 5lbs the whole time, but I lost a TON of INCHES everywhere....

Make sure you are taking your measurements and tons of photos.

The min caloric intake on this program should be 1800. So 1200 may have been okay if you ate your exercise calories back and burned at least 5-600 calories/workout.
  • erickirb
    Options
    So do you only eat the increased calories (i.e. 1800) or do you eat those plus eat back your exercise calories? I think that would be way too much food for one day!!! I am doing insanity at 1350 daily calories and eating back some/most of my exercise calories and so far no weight loss. ( I am on week 2 of insanity)

with the 1800 you would not have to eat the cals back as the 1800 already accounts for exercise (based on the programs diet guide)
  • erickirb
    Options
    you will be puttting on muscle probably, which weighs more than fat. but will still be losing body fat.

No, you will not be putting muscle on during a cardio program with a large caloric deficit.
  • jillianr78
    jillianr78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So do you only eat the increased calories (i.e. 1800) or do you eat those plus eat back your exercise calories? I think that would be way too much food for one day!!! I am doing insanity at 1350 daily calories and eating back some/most of my exercise calories and so far no weight loss. ( I am on week 2 of insanity)

Do me a favor and use the BMR calculator on this site and post your results. I can do some calculations and we can go from there..

Ok...I did it and it was 1476.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Do me a favor and use the BMR calculator on this site and post your results. I can do some calculations and we can go from there..

Ok...I did it and it was 1476.

Ok, based on Katch McArdle, if you are doing insanity you will be moderately to very active (so I will show you both).

TDEE = BMR * multiplier
    TDEE = 1476 * 1.55 = 2287
    TDEE = 1476 * 1.725 = 2546

This means on average, you are buring between 2200-2600 calories in a day.

Caloric needs = 2287 *.80 = 1829
    Caloric needs = 2287 *.80 = 2036

The reason why I did 20% instead of 500 calories is these programs are designed to do body re composition (turning fat into muscle). Weight loss is still an outcome of it but this will allow you to maintain lean muscle mass. So really, you should be aiming to 1900 calories a day at least. Now if you have an active job, like an RN or a person on their feet all day, I would add another 200 calories as you burn calories while you are walking around. See below.

sedentary (with no exercise added) = 1476 * 1.2 = 1771
    light active (with no exercise) = 1476 * 1.375 = 2029

So to do some validation if you dont' believe Katch McArdle, you would take TDEE from your basic lifestyle. In this case we will say sedentary. And you workout and burn on average 600 calories.

= 1771 + 600 = 2371 * .8 = 1896..

And once again, it's 1900 calories.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    you will be puttting on muscle probably, which weighs more than fat. but will still be losing body fat.

No, you will not be putting muscle on during a cardio program with a large caloric deficit.

+1
    And by not eating enough, the OP will probably LOSE muscles.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've done 4 rounds of Insanity and while I didn't lose a ton of weight, I lost a RIDICULOUS amount of inches :smile:

Don't give up! Insanity is no joke but it WORKS!!
  • enusker
    enusker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I heard that the 2nd month is where the magic happens.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. It's more dense, but a pound is a pound is a pound.
  • erica82177
    Options
    i myself know what your going through with the PCOS, have you had any success with the insanity and weight loss? it is extremely hard to lose weight.
  • sugarcrane2
    Options
    Okay so I've been doing insanity for about 2 months I work out 4-5 times a week but I haven't started the Max as I was told it was crazy hard and I want to be a little more in shape for it (i.e. make it through the first set without dying). I started doing it while on WW didn't lose weight now I've been tracking calories and am about 1300 calories a day, My fitness pals says I should be doing 1200. About twice a week go up to 1700. So I am going to try to up my calories based on what I've read and calculated I should be eating 1700 every day. My question is on the days I don't do Insanity should I eat lower calories? I also take lots of supplements trying to up my metabolism and am not hungry at all. I've only lost about 3 inches.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Okay so I've been doing insanity for about 2 months I work out 4-5 times a week but I haven't started the Max as I was told it was crazy hard and I want to be a little more in shape for it (i.e. make it through the first set without dying). I started doing it while on WW didn't lose weight now I've been tracking calories and am about 1300 calories a day, My fitness pals says I should be doing 1200. About twice a week go up to 1700. So I am going to try to up my calories based on what I've read and calculated I should be eating 1700 every day. My question is on the days I don't do Insanity should I eat lower calories? I also take lots of supplements trying to up my metabolism and am not hungry at all. I've only lost about 3 inches.

You should consistently be at 1700 calories to get the most out of insanity. A larger deficit doesn't necessarily lead to more weight loss. In fact, many times it will be the reason for a plateau. Also, by eating more, your body will push harder during the workout.
  • njhotsauce79
    Options
    I am 142 lbs. 5'0", female, 33yrs old. I have been doing insanity for almost five weeks now (will be starting month two on Monday). I got the insanity DVDs from someone else so I don't have all the paperwork that came with it. I am not losing much weight. I've lost 3 lbs so far in almost 5 weeks!! I don't seem to be losing inches either, even though I do see my stomach flatter and feel so much better. I am not counting my calories every day, but I eat approximately 1600 on a daily basis and I do my best to keep it clean. Like 1 cup of oatmeal in the morning with 1 cup of milk (2%), and sometimes I add two eggs to my breakfast. Then for a snack I will have a banana and some peanut butter. For lunch a bowl of soup and a turkey sandwich or a can of tuna with a tomato (chopped) and two serrano peppers and some lime juice to it (sometimes I have a few crackers too). then for snack is almonds and some fruit, (orange, pear, grapefruit... etc). I feel great and not lack of energy at all. for dinner, it's chicken or fish, grilled or baked, or a baked potato with tons of broccoli, very little cheese and very very little sour cream... or a bowl of vegetable soup (loaded with green beans, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, tomatoes) and some chicken... anyway, you get my drift. I normally don't eat after dinner, so it's a total of three meals plus two snacks = 5.
    Am I not eating enough calories?

I do insanity 6 times a week, I run 2.5 - 3 miles three times a week (either run or elliptical), and I do a 30 minute workout three times a week in the afternoon right before my run (or after depending on space), to work my legs, my arms, etc (I alternate days for upper body and lower body and those three days I work my core).

can anyone guide me?
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I ate 1500 calories on p90x. That was last year at this time. I fell off the fitness track and after gaining back almost 10lbs, I am back in it. I also have a condition called PCOS which affects my blood sugars. Although I am not a diabetic, the treatment is a diabetic med. I was told that after I lost some weight I wouldn't have to take it anymore, but this doesn't seem to be the case. This condition makes it hard to lose weight as well. Anyway, it was much easier last time, so I will increase my calories and hope for the best. I was just being stupid and thinking that less calories would equal a fast weight loss. There is never an "easy/quick fix", just time, proper nutrition, and exercise! Lesson learned:)

hey I have pcos as well. Im not too sure about the comment the gentleman below you made. I have been losing weight consistently for 3.5 months. You definately do not need a diet high in fat and low in carbs my weekly averages for carbs is 50%, I do have a diet high in protein and low in fats because of all the veggies I consume.

Everybody is different some people can do just fine eating 1200 calories a day and exercise and gain muscle. It depends on your height, weight, how much you have to lose and what kind of nutrients your getting.

As for the people talking about starvation mode, there is no way in 2 weeks the original posters body would have gone into starvation mode without losing a single pound. It just doesnt happen like that. I would check to see if you are loggin everything correctly food wise.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am 142 lbs. 5'0", female, 33yrs old. I have been doing insanity for almost five weeks now (will be starting month two on Monday). I got the insanity DVDs from someone else so I don't have all the paperwork that came with it. I am not losing much weight. I've lost 3 lbs so far in almost 5 weeks!! I don't seem to be losing inches either, even though I do see my stomach flatter and feel so much better. I am not counting my calories every day, but I eat approximately 1600 on a daily basis and I do my best to keep it clean. Like 1 cup of oatmeal in the morning with 1 cup of milk (2%), and sometimes I add two eggs to my breakfast. Then for a snack I will have a banana and some peanut butter. For lunch a bowl of soup and a turkey sandwich or a can of tuna with a tomato (chopped) and two serrano peppers and some lime juice to it (sometimes I have a few crackers too). then for snack is almonds and some fruit, (orange, pear, grapefruit... etc). I feel great and not lack of energy at all. for dinner, it's chicken or fish, grilled or baked, or a baked potato with tons of broccoli, very little cheese and very very little sour cream... or a bowl of vegetable soup (loaded with green beans, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, tomatoes) and some chicken... anyway, you get my drift. I normally don't eat after dinner, so it's a total of three meals plus two snacks = 5.
    Am I not eating enough calories?

I do insanity 6 times a week, I run 2.5 - 3 miles three times a week (either run or elliptical), and I do a 30 minute workout three times a week in the afternoon right before my run (or after depending on space), to work my legs, my arms, etc (I alternate days for upper body and lower body and those three days I work my core).

can anyone guide me?

based on your stats, with insanity alone you should be eating 1900 calories. If you want to exercise more, then it would need to be increased. My biggest suggest is slow down. More exercise isn't always good as it causes a lot of stress on your body. So if you are doing the true 6 days insanity program, i would suggest cutting the other exercise out.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I ate 1500 calories on p90x. That was last year at this time. I fell off the fitness track and after gaining back almost 10lbs, I am back in it. I also have a condition called PCOS which affects my blood sugars. Although I am not a diabetic, the treatment is a diabetic med. I was told that after I lost some weight I wouldn't have to take it anymore, but this doesn't seem to be the case. This condition makes it hard to lose weight as well. Anyway, it was much easier last time, so I will increase my calories and hope for the best. I was just being stupid and thinking that less calories would equal a fast weight loss. There is never an "easy/quick fix", just time, proper nutrition, and exercise! Lesson learned:)

hey I have pcos as well. Im not too sure about the comment the gentleman below you made. I have been losing weight consistently for 3.5 months. You definately do not need a diet high in fat and low in carbs my weekly averages for carbs is 50%, I do have a diet high in protein and low in fats because of all the veggies I consume.

Everybody is different some people can do just fine eating 1200 calories a day and exercise and gain muscle. It depends on your height, weight, how much you have to lose and what kind of nutrients your getting.

As for the people talking about starvation mode, there is no way in 2 weeks the original posters body would have gone into starvation mode without losing a single pound. It just doesnt happen like that. I would check to see if you are loggin everything correctly food wise.

First off, you can NOT gain muscle on 1200 calories. That isn't even enough calories to feed your metabolic rate, let alone for the muscles to have the ability to increase lean muscle mass. I am a 5'11" 200 lb man and I eat 2800-3000 calories and over six months, I have only gained 1 lb of lean muscle math and you might be able to chalk that up to calculation error and that is a 20% deficit from my TDEE. There is the ability to cut body fat (which you do on a calorie deficit) and the ability to increase lean body mass (muscle) which you do on a calorie surplus. They are two different methods with two different diet and exercise plans. Now there is also a difference between gaining strength and muscle.

Additionally, eating below your BMR, will increase the chances of loss of lean body mass. If your track your body fat and weight together you can see this occur. Now lean body mass is made up of several things such as: muscle, tissue, bone density, etc so it's not a one for one loss of muscle. But it can show your an approximate loss of your metabolic rate.
  • ngarrett75
    ngarrett75 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm only down 5 lbs and am in my Recovery week. Per the Insanity formula, I should be eating 2100 cals a day, which is tough but I'm trying. Now, is that 2100 NET calories? They don't specify in the fitness guide. Or is that INCLUDING my exercise calories? Any thoughts?
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    like others have said, eat back your exercise calories, and it's only week 2. I didn't lose any weight on insanity but I looked better and felt stronger. I still do the workouts periodically.
  • hpage84
    hpage84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm only down 5 lbs and am in my Recovery week. Per the Insanity formula, I should be eating 2100 cals a day, which is tough but I'm trying. Now, is that 2100 NET calories? They don't specify in the fitness guide. Or is that INCLUDING my exercise calories? Any thoughts?

That's total calories. The Insanity guide doesn't have you eat exercise cals, they're already included. And 5 lbs is good progress for the first month!