embarressed of S.O.

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think the friend does have her priorities wrong. Is it nice? No, but that's not the point.

I love my partner but his total disregard for his health (which has caused him to gain 2 stone since we started seeing each other) is a source of personal embarassment for me, especially when I'm working to try to improve my health. Watching someone you care about let themselves go is hard.

Yes but do you parade that around other people or do you try to work with him directly on it?
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I seriously wish my wife had said something to me when I had put on about 20-30 pounds instead of just watching me get bigger. Of course, I would have wanted it to be said in a nice way, but said.

This.

People don't have to be nasty about weight gain, but surely it's better to say or do something than just leave it and watch the problem worsen.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I seriously wish my wife had said something to me when I had put on about 20-30 pounds instead of just watching me get bigger. Of course, I would have wanted it to be said in a nice way, but said.

This is an interesting take! When you put on the weight would you have accepted anything she would have said? My husband has put on 80+lbs since we had our 2 kids (now 5 and 4) I put on roughly 50 but have lost 30lbs of it. I have encouraged him to go to the gym, run, or just get active and he won't. It makes me sad but I would NEVER tell people, "he's fat but really nice"....or be ashamed to be around him.

It makes me sad how shallow some people can be.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If someone loves you, they stand by you no matter what... and vice versa of course. So, yeah. That boyfriend should run away, and fast, because she sucks.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    That's harsh.

I have no other words.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I don't necessarily think the friend does have her priorities wrong. Is it nice? No, but that's not the point.

I love my partner but his total disregard for his health (which has caused him to gain 2 stone since we started seeing each other) is a source of personal embarassment for me, especially when I'm working to try to improve my health. Watching someone you care about let themselves go is hard.

Yes but do you parade that around other people or do you try to work with him directly on it?

Both, actually. I try with him and when that has no affect I'll publicly comment on it. I'm not going to stand there and slag him off in front of people but I won't shy away from an obvious fact either.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options

My boyfriend is not overweight but he has very bad eating habits. I found a good way to get him to eat healthier was to just talk about healthy food in general. I talk about what kind of food I'm eating all the time and now he's picked up looking at nutrition facts and eats a lot healthier.

This woman obviously didn't actually care about her SO and just wanted to look good.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I've been embarrassed by a previous SO. Not because of weight, because she couldn't spell lettuce.

Pick an easier word for your spelling test.

Whoever the poor SO is deserves better. Hopefully the person will see this soon.
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    If they are that embarrassed of their S.O. then they don't love them. My S.O. does things that are embarrassing (to himself) all the time. I don't have to run and hide over it.

I agree ^
    That is just sad...does her SO know she does this? I feel so bad for him, if he knows his self-esteem must be shattered. :cry: so sad.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    :frown: :frown: :frown:
  • Love4MN
    Love4MN Posts: 60
    Options
    I have gained a lot of weight since moving to south carolina a year ago and my boyfriend shows me the same amount of love today as he did we we first met! so I think that lady needs to move on and grow up because when you love somebody with all of your heart it does not matter how they look
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Both, actually. I try with him and when that has no affect I'll publicly comment on it. I'm not going to stand there and slag him off in front of people but I won't shy away from an obvious fact either.

Then you and I are in disagreement in that area. I feel very strongly that such things are a personal discussion and shouldn't be used to publicly humiliate the other in an attempt to motivate weight loss (I'm not saying that's what you do, but that's what I see the actions described by the O.P. as doing). For me at least, attempting to do something like that would make the problem worse.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options

My boyfriend is not overweight but he has very bad eating habits. I found a good way to get him to eat healthier was to just talk about healthy food in general. I talk about what kind of food I'm eating all the time and now he's picked up looking at nutrition facts and eats a lot healthier.

This woman obviously didn't actually care about her SO and just wanted to look good.

None of us know enough about this woman to really judge whether she just wants to look good. If that were really the case surely she'd have binned the fat boyfriend in favour of something more akin to a trophy partner.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    she said even when she plans to introduce him to people she always prefaces with "he's fat, but he's really nice!" :/

:noway: :angry:

That's even worse than avoiding people to not have to introduce him. I hope he figures out that she's a vain, two-faced woman who's ashamed of him and leaves her for someone else. HE deserves better.
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    at work this morning, a woman was talking to me about how she hid/ran away from someone she saw out in public because she didn't want this person to see how fat her boyfriend had become.

thoughts?
    has anyone ever done this???
    how would you feel if your girl/boyfriend told you they'd done that?

If my so did that, I would dump them because clearly they are an *kitten* who cares more about my size than about ME.

If my co-worker told me something like that I would tell them what I thought about it.

It is horrible. So sad.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thats horrible...and if my husband did that to me I'd be gone, to embarrassed to be seen with me in public, you don't get the benefits of being with me at home ;)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options

Then you and I are in disagreement in that area. I feel very strongly that such things are a personal discussion and shouldn't be used to publicly humiliate the other in an attempt to motivate weight loss (I'm not saying that's what you do, but that's what I see the actions described by the O.P. as doing). For me at least, attempting to do something like that would make the problem worse.

We shall agree to disagree. Weight is publc - everyone can see it if you're fat.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    o_O

wtf?

Being embarassed about your own weight I can understand. But your significant other's? That doesn't even make sense. You have no control over someone else's health. Why on earth would YOU have to account for it? Your co-worker confuses me.
  • leakarina
    Options
    that's awful - but too funny the guy with the lettuce girl friend...
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Dump the *****! You don't need that in your life!