Those of you that lift heavy and distance run

Options
124»

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    This was my routine this AM in this order(Chest Day)

- Treadmill for 25 minutes at 6.5 on the Hill setting

- Elliptical for 10 minutes (my cool down)

- A circuit involving push ups and ab exercises (10 minutes)

- then a 4 set circuit involving a compound chest exercise, 30 second planks, 20 good form jumping jacks with a 30 minute rest in between sets.

I'm not looking to get huge. I just want to get solid and defined. Some days I will run a 10 k, and then lift. It sucks, but the rewards are more than worth it. Good luck!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Bump - I tried to do both and while I am not a distance runner by any stretch, I found that I couldn't do heavy lifting (NRLW4W) and my running. I'm trying to get to the point where I gradually add in slow runs (jogs for most of you, LOL) but I'm not there yet.

Good luck!
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    M: Back and Chest and Abs
    T: 6miles
    W: Bi, Tri and Abs
    T: 6 miles
    F: Shoulders and Abs
    S: Distance run
    S: Rest
  • gaelyngaelyn
    gaelyngaelyn Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do both! But I alternate days... Run, Lift, Run, Lift.... but anytime I increase weight I might give an extra run day in there if I'm still sore before doing another lifting day. Also... make sure to SSSTTTRRREEETTTTCCCCHHHHHH!!!! :)
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    bump
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I do both, but my goal is just to finish my half marathon (in 9 days).

I think you'll complete a half mara in under 9 days hehehhe.
    Ba-dum-ching! The half marathon is in 9 days :smile: My goals, in descending order, are 1. Don't die. 2. Run the entire race. 3. Finish in under 2:25:00.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Ba-dum-ching! The half marathon is in 9 days :smile: My goals, in descending order, are 1. Don't die. 2. Run the entire race. 3. Finish in under 2:25:00.

Have a great race. Is it your first?
  • agthorn
    Options

Have a great race. Is it your first?
    Thanks! First half, yes. I did a 15K back in early December and figured I had a good base at that point to work up to the half. I've found that I kind of get bored after about 90 minutes though, so I think this will probably be my only half. Just wanted to see if I could do it (and it was free, because my company is a sponsor of this particular race).
  • ijustmightbecrazy
    Options
    I work out twice a day, while on a cutting diet, and don't have energy problems or issues making my lifts/progress.

Starting at 5-6pm depending on my day, T (100%) - Th (90%) - S (80%), on a 5 week 2x8/2x9/2x10/2x11/2x12 rotation, upping the weight 10% when I get back to 2x8.

Wide Stance Barbell Squats, Barbell Calf Raises, Straight Leg Deadlift, Reverse Grip Bent-Over Barbell Row, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Wide Grip Barbell Curl, Close Grip Barbell Curl, Tricep Pushdown, Barbell Skullcrushers, Dumbbell Forearm Curls/Extensions.

M-W-F in the PM and T-Th-Sa in the AM, it's 60 min on the treadmill, right now I'm in the walking zone, I range 3.1-4.0 (0.1 increase per session), and after each time I hit 4.0 I drop back to 3.1 and add 0.5% incline (e.g. today will be 3.7 mph @ 2.5% incline).

M-W-F in the AM I swim light/moderate laps in the pool, alternating between freestyle, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle backstroke, for 60 minutes.

Like I said, I don't have any energy issues or feel like I'm not making progress, perhaps people need to check their diets to make sure their intake is keeping up with their output?
  • babyblues31
    babyblues31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this too so I want to catch the responses!

I currently run at least 5x weekly (usually 4 miles with intervals). I also incorporated JM Ripped in 30 to get more strength, I add extra ab work and pushups to it. On days that I do the dvd, I may only run 2 miles or I notice I am pretty fatiqued while running. I am getting tighter and can see some muscle which is great!

I ran a 5K in March with a time of 27:04 and I will begin Hal Higdon's Half Marathon training program at the end of May. This is my first half. My goal is to finish, but I also want to finish well. I have heard many great things about heavier lifting and I have thought about focusing more on that, running a little less, from now until the end of May when half training starts. But I'm on the fence, it's so tempting! Maybe I should just keep doing what I'm doing, as mileage increases after I start training, I think lifting will have to back off anyway. It may just be the wrong time for it. I usually use 8 lb weights for the JM Ripped workout. I do Level 4.
  • julieanddavid
    Options
    bump
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have been training for a 30 mile run and lifting strong lifts 5x5 for 4 months.

my schedule changes all the time because I have little kids and a wife that works full time with a random schedule.
    I lift 3 days a week and Run 3 days a week,
    Sometimes I end up lifting in the morning before work and do a run after work. I run 25-35 miles a week.

My lifts have barely gone up since I started endurance training in earnest.

My normal schedule......( run and lift days get swapped often but I always do my long run on the weekend and always have at LEAST 1 if not 2 days off a week

Monday - lift 5x5
    tuesday run 2-5 miles
    wednesday 5x5
    thursday run 3-7 miles
    friday 5x5
    saterday long run ( 10-25 miles depending on where I was at in the training schedule)
    sunday REST

I am 6 ft tall and am down to 162 lbs.

last fall when I weighed 175 - I was squatting 180, deadlifting 245, benching 135, over head pressing 85
    then I hurt my back and I started the endurance training the same time I got back into 5x5 lifting

I am back up to 160 squats, 200 dead lift, 120 bench, and 90 over head press. I 100% believe that the running is holding me back on my lifting and to maintain my weight I have to eat nearly 3,000 a day even on my rest days.

just eat like a fool and make sure you get rest days. I can squat weight equal to my body weight and run 20+ miles.
    My ultimate goal is to be able to squat and deadlift 2x body weight and bench 1.5x bw and still be able to run 10+ miles any day of the week without thinking twice.

This man right here, IS A BEAST!!!!
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    Bump for future reference!
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert by any means but I have been training for 10k, Summer, 1/2 in Fall and this is my usual routine that has been working.

Mon/Wed/Fri - Weight Lift with short 3km runs afterwards

Tues - 1.5m run, Eliptical 20mins, Bike 10mins, Rowing 10 mins

Thurs - Off

Sat - 7.5 - 10km Run
    Sun - Off

It seems to be working for me, but again I'm no pro

I really like this routine, looks very balanced, good combination of Weights and cardio. Thanks for sharing!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    @agthorn have a great race. Maybe, who knows? You may love it.

Best wishes.
  • N4monsters
    N4monsters Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! This is really good information!! I have been questioning myself about lifting while training for a half!
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Interesting info... I'm currently training for a 50 mile bike race and also lifting. I try to ride 3x a week and to lift 3x a week. Perhaps I will dial the lifting back to 2x and make sure to take a real rest day and not an active one of yoga, since I am more focused on the bike race right now. This could be why I have been extremely tired at the gym recently.
  • agthorn
    Options
    @agthorn have a great race. Maybe, who knows? You may love it.

Best wishes.
    Thanks! :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Oh, and since I never addressed the question of routine, here is mine. There's always some variance depending on my kids' schedules, but basically...

Monday: Compound lifts in the morning, sometimes a slow-ish 5mile run at lunch depending on how busy my weekend was and how the body is feeling
    Tuesday: Basketball (for fun) at lunch
    Wednesday: Compound lifts in the morning, run-bike-run (speed work) in the evening
    Thursday: Basketball (for fun) at lunch, sometimes commute to work via bike (10miles each way).
    Friday: Compound lifts in the morning
    Saturday: Long run (currently 8-9ish miles) or long bike (40ish miles)
    Sunday: Long run or long bike, whatever I didn't do Sat.