Beginning to think it's Calories consumed vs. NET instead

Options

Replies

• chnkytim42
    chnkytim42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i have to do it, i only read 2 pages and i am already shaking my head. lol why do we worry so much about the numbers? eat when you are hungry and pay attention to what you eat, eat healthy. if your not hungry DONT EAT!!!!!! i forgot, in the 70's and 80's before obesity was an epidemic they counted calories, silly me. STOP WITH THE NUMBERS. yes it is good to keep the food journal, but it's not law. i dont always eat my bmr even, and if i'm not hungry you can bite me, cause i'm not gonna eat. lol i have lost 23lbs in a month and a half. just from eating right and working out. granted i was 320 pounds. but still the same idea, and work out as much as you want. so many people spend all day on here because they did there 30 minutes of exercise and they are scared if they do more they will not lose. GET OVER IT!!!!!!! simple math. eat healthy + work out = weight loss. simple. and i'm sorry if i dont believe in starvation mode, but if your eating food all day, regardless of how many calories you eat and how many you burn, your body isnt gonna think it's starving as long as you eat when you are hungry and dont skip meals. i heard one comment that made me die of laughter, a car wont run on an empty tank........??????????? really? ummm if you have a 100 gallons of spare fuel in reserve tanks yes it will. lol thats what are fat is, spare fuel......... and this whole your body is gonna burn more muscle if you eat under your bmr, ummmm doubt it, bears hybernate, and when they do so they dont lose there muscle, they lose the fat they have stored to survive the hybernation, same idea. HELLO? IS ANYBODY HEARING ALL THIS PROPAGANDA BEING SPAT OUT? just do what works for you, if it doesnt work, try something else, but dont let others make your choices, do what works. you will be fine
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've read through this thread and it thoroughly took me down the rabbit hole, but now I'm back. I think there are a couple major problems that everyone here has (and these are my opinion with a healthy dose of deductive reasoning and skepticism):

1) The activity calculators cause a huge amount of error in TDEE. I mean, we obsess over a calorie here and a calorie there, and the multiplier meanwhile is multiplying the whole number by a guesswork factor!

2) Exercise Machines over-estimate calories. Period. There is a marketing benefit to estimating the calories high- e.g. if a machine tells you it is burning X number of calories and the effort seems a whole lot easier than plodding out that same calories on a treadmill (which is more correct) then you with a gym membership want that machine and the gym buys that machine. Arc trainers (at low resistance) are a great example. They have ridiculous calorie burns. Most of the research done on calorie burning for different activities has been done on walking, running and cycling. If your calories seem easier to get on anything else, they are probably wrong. .....Rant complete.
    ...almost. For HRM calories you can only use their calorie counter for cardio- even circuit training they can be really really off- like 1/3 too high...can't be used for strength training or yoga or stretching....ok rant complete.

3) If you eat back your exercise calories, you need to subtract your hourly BMR, that is your BMR/24. If your BMR is 2400, you need to subtract 100 calories per hour of exercise from your added exercise goal, because those calories are already included in your BMR.

4) As mentioned by many others, everyone should be using the Katch equation to estimate BMR- lean mass uses more calories than fat, so the more muscle you have the higher your BMR should be. Uh-Oh! Body fat is just ANOTHER estimate in this mix! The best way is to get it tested (using bod pod or DEXA) , second best would be to have a properly trained person use calipers and a close third would be to use an electrical impedence device- but its very important to follow the directions for the electrical impedence b/c your level of hydration/dehydration seriously affects the reading. Fourth best is to use the online calculators- and fourth is way, way behind the first 3.

5) People wrongly estimate their food portions when logging AND companies regularly underrepresent their portion size when calculating/printing their nutritional facts. This, like the calorie burns on the machines, is beneficial to the manufacturer- their calories PER WEIGHT SERVING are mostly correct, but the serving size you get in a package is commonly bigger than the weight listed.

So, my solutions are:
    A)Use a low TDEE multiplier, like 1.2 or 1.1, and be diligent about entering all your daily activity, and be really careful to get those estimates as accurate as possible. A fitbit or similar device might be really useful for this purpose (I don't have one but I assume that would be the best way to capture everything). **Set your goal as your BMR x Low Multiplier, then eat back your exercise calories, but leave a buffer big enough to account for miscalculation** Also, I don't know what to do about strength training- I haven't figured that out yet. Theres just no good way to enter it! If your exercise calories don't give you a cushion of a couple hundred calories a day, you should cut your total number, but never go lower than your BMR.
    B)If your gym (or wherever) does body composition testing get it done. Else, buy an inexpensive electrical impedence BF device and use it to track your progress. (even if its not super accurate, it should be the same amount of inaccurate all the time, so it should be a good tool to track progress).
    C)Weigh EVERYTHING (that you can). Enter it in to your diary by grams, rather than portions like "1 Slice" that might be magically disappearing calories from your consumption totals. Obviously you can't weigh food when you're out, but every time you cut down the error will help.
    D)KNOCK IT OFF with the 2-lb per week or 1-lb per week goals. They are calorie cuts that assume all of your weight loss will be fat loss (3500cal/lb fat). Muscle loss is like 600 or 800 cals/lb (not sure about that value) but people get super excited when their 3500 cal deficit creates like 5 lbs lost....If you lose MORE than you calculated, its not good, its either muscle loss or water. Let your lbs/week be determined by how hard you work every week, not some arbitrary number you want to work to- its more gratifying and less insane.

OR alternately, don't obsess with details and just eat when you're hungry and exercise- and see what works for you....Hahaha if that were a real option you wouldn't be on this site. :laugh: :laugh:
  • chnkytim42
    Options
    i know alot of people who are fat because of lack of exercise and bad diets........i was one of them, once i quit drinking soda and moving the weight started comming off, throw in a good diet and it is falling off faster then my pants are. and if they are serious about dropping the weight then it means they have or are trying to make that change. and to add most the people on this site arent even fat, and i get a giggle of people going i have 10 pounds to lose so i am gonna get on this site and tell people with a hundred pounds to lose what to do because i lost 10 pounds that made me look skinny fat......... skinny fat? are you Fing with me here? wow. lol
  • DreamersWifey
    DreamersWifey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 43 since march 1st
    I don't eat back what I burned
    Simply because...that's my deficit...why work out to burn calories if I'm just Goin to eat them back...it's a concept that dosent make any sense to me.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Tabi, you don't want mine...lol. You know what I am going to say:-)

May I just say "LIKE"! :bigsmile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 43 since march 1st
    I don't eat back what I burned
    Simply because...that's my deficit...why work out to burn calories if I'm just Goin to eat them back...it's a concept that dosent make any sense to me.

If you do not have a deficit built into your base target that makes absolute sense. However, MFP already builds a deficit in to the base target.
  • chnkytim42
    Options
    still agree with her, if your gonna eat all the calories back, you might as well watch tv and do nothin, same results is what everybody is saying :)
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Sorry but a lot of over weight people have 'lost' that hunger feeling they don't know what it is as they've spent years comfort eating

To the poster above so should we work out our lean BMR and eat that my BMR is 1649 my lean BMR is 1340 I burn 3000 cardio exercise calories a week by fitbit?Should I eat 1340 gross calories a day or 1649?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    still agree with her, if your gonna eat all the calories back, you might as well watch tv and do nothin, same results is what everybody is saying :)

Because exercise has absolutely no other benefits.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The more I watch people's weight loss journey's the more I am convinced that as long as your "calories consumed" is over your BMR it does not matter what you burn off.....

I have tried all methods, eating 1200 and excercise cal back, eating my BMR plus exercise calories, eating TDEE -15%, and the people I see with the greatest results and consistant weight losses are the ones who regularily eat over their BMR, closest to maintenance and don't bother with worrying about their net calories even if they are UNDER their BMR...

Could it be that eating back what you burn off is the reason people are not losing weight ? Maybe our body's do not care if we net below our BMR as long as we EAT/CONSUME over BMR's ????

I think the word NET is what is screwing everyone up on here.....just eat over your BMR and leave it at that !

Thoughts ???

I posted very similar thoughts about a week ago. A couple people got it, most didn't. As far as I can tell, "netting BMR" can mean one of two things:

If you ignore the MFP interface (which treats calories from your activity level and calories from exercise differently), then "netting BMR" means the same as "eating TDEE", which would result in no weight gain or loss.

If you use MFP's display of calories, then people who set a higher activity level in their profile can eat more calories while still looking like they "net their BMR", even if they have identical caloric intake and TDEE as someone who set their activity level to Sedentary and just logged more exercise. In other words, what MFP shows as your Net Calories for the day are completely meaningless when compared to your BMR.

It may be a good thing to consume more calories (gross, not net) than your BMR. I don't know that for certain one way or another, but beyond that, the only thing that matters is TDEE. Eat less than TDEE, lose weight over time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/566837-exercise-calories-versus-daily-activity-eating-bmr

Netting bmr is not the same as eating tdee. My tdee is 2600, I eat around 2000 and net after exercise is around 1600 (bmr is 1568).

Read the thread I linked, or the similar example I typed up a little later in this thread. What most people refer to as "net calories" is based on what MFP shows them, and it's meaningless. Two people with identical TDEE and calories consumed for the day will show different "net calories" based on which one had more calories in the activity multiplier versus logged exercise.
  • NorseMaiden
    NorseMaiden Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 4 months roughly...I've followed MFP to the letter. I never eat over my allotted calorie amount and I eat back most of my exercise calories...that's when I bother to exercise. I've consistently lost weight week over week to the tune of 37 pounds so far and I'm over halfway to goal. I don't know what the magic bullet is...I think every single person is different.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You should eat back half of how many calories you burn during exercise. NOT ALL. So if your goal is 1500 and you burn 500 calories your net would be 1,000 so you need to eat back 250 calories at a minimum. If you don't eat within 30 minutes of working out you lose half of your workout. I think it's more of what type of calories and foods people are putting into their bodies then eating back exercise calories. It also depends on a million different factors, age, gender, etc.

Sorry, I hate to potentially start another sub-thread here, but there is no evidence to suggest eating 30 minutes after a workout is better than eating say 4 hours after a workout (unless you are hungry of course!). Also, the only reason why you should not eat all your exercise calories back, assuming you already have an appropriate deficit built into your base and your base target does not include exercise, is really because of the fact that MFP and the exercise machines usually over-estimate them.

Ya I thought that was a totally bizarre thing to say. How can half your workout just "poof" disappear. Ummmm research!

I've done plenty of research http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/exercises/after-exercise-recovery-what-to-eat-and-drink.html

To quote:

These after-workout foods and drinks should be consumed as soon as possible after you are finished working out. Don’t wait longer than 30 minutes to refuel your body. For best results for after-workout recovery, combine protein and carbohydrates into one small meal. The combination of a protein- and carbohydrate-rich meal will increase your athletic performance and promote muscle recovery.

You misunderstood what I said. I never said okay you workout and eat 3 hours later and there goes your work out. But your muscles need to refuel soon after a workout and if nothing is going in then they have nothing to work with.
    i find that if i work out and i am needing refuel then by all means i refuel within means and the best post workout is egg whites or protien bc it helps the mucsles :) so for me i do eat to refuel i still lost weight clean homemade pretien bars are the best :)

I agree! I want to start making my own bars too!
  • Pheonix2010
    Options
    where are you going to calculate your bmr , ive tried a few calculators and get very different figures , need a fairly accurate one
    Thanks
  • andreanicole686
    Options

Because exercise has absolutely no other benefits.

Exactly. I've been eating back half if not more of my calories back from exercise and I've lost 10 pounds. So to each their own but I'm going to keep doing whats working for me.
  • andreanicole686
    Options

Exercising and watching tv and laying on your *kitten* are completely different. If your still within or under your calorie goal you should always refuel after a workout. Those muscles need something to make them grow after you've worked so hard.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It really, really depends on the person. Some people need to eat back exercise calories, and some don't.

For me, I'm lucky to not "need" to eat back my exercise calories. If I eat at a 500 cal a day deficit (1700 cal) and burn an extra 10,000 cal for the week, I'll lose a bit under 2kg/4lb. If I eat a 500cal a day deficit and eat back my exercise cals, I'll lose under 1kg/2lb.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    and this is why i stopped coming to the forums. This NET calorie thing gets too confusing. I am just following what my nutritionist set out for me.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I started in January 2011 and lost 26 pounds eating back all my exercise calories.

Since August of 2011...I have lost TWO pounds.

I don't know what I am doing wrong...I work out 6 days a week and never eat below 1500-1600 calories NET.

THIS IS SOOO FRUSTRATING!!!

NUMBERS, NUMBERS, NUMBERS :/
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Three MFP volunteers, for the good of our cyber community, volunteer to be placed in a medically induced coma for three months. We instruct that one is feed exact BMR, One 15% over, one 15% under via their naso-gastric tubes. Observe resulkts and publish. Any takers?

Me!!! I could do with a good rest :yawn: