Shake Weight

Options
Does anyone use the shake weight? How many calories does it burn, if any? I just got one and did the 6 minute work out today. I sure felt the burn so I hope it helps in toning my arms!

Replies

• PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I use the man's one. I log 5 calories per minute, I think that is conservative. Other websites put it at about 30/minute for the guys an 20 for the girls.

I don't believe that.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Legit answer because the humor seems to be lost on some

The Shakeweight operates on the premise that you can spot reduce fat in your arms. This is not true. Also, you do not burn nearly as many calories as the one poster said. 30 calories a minute? That's saying that running a minute is less calories burnt then a Shakeweight? Highly improbable.

While you may think it's doing something because your arms are sore, there are plenty of other activities in which your arms will be sore, but won't make a big effect on fat loss. One comparison is somewhat explicit, hence why Shakeweight is the subject of many many parodies.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Legit answer because the humor seems to be lost on some

The Shakeweight operates on the premise that you can spot reduce fat in your arms. This is not true. Also, you do not burn nearly as many calories as the one poster said. 30 calories a minute? That's saying that running a minute is less calories burnt then a Shakeweight? Highly improbable.

While you may think it's doing something because your arms are sore, there are plenty of other activities in which your arms will be sore, but won't make a big effect on fat loss. One comparison is somewhat explicit, hence why Shakeweight is the subject of many many parodies.

I burn 152 cals per mile according to a Polar FT60 at a weight of 199 for a 6 foot male. Considering that jogging, or running, has the highest coefficient for energy expenditure, I would say that 30cals per minute is astronomical.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    i really don't mean to be rude when i say this but that shake weight looks like one of the laziest pieces of exercise equipment ever invented. Like some lazy overweight sap sitting on his sofa watching TV suddenly had an idea that he can exercise his arms while sitting and watching TV at the same time. I'd rather just buy a couple of hand weights and tone my biceps and triceps. JUST MY OPINION DON'T BEAT ME UP!

You wouldn't look as silly either xD

wqmkW.gif
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    This seems relevant.

2mqm4vl.jpg

I'd rather fool around with a barbell than use a shakeweight too.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Emma Stone makes me want to use one though xD
    ajdNy.gif
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Emma Stone makes me want to use one though xD
    ajdNy.gif

omg my husband just gave me the weirdest look because I laughed so loud at this... >.<;
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    shake weights totally look like you're jacking off a guy.

south park has much to teach you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This seems relevant.

2mqm4vl.jpg

I'd rather fool around with a barbell than use a shakeweight too.

this is great
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    i really don't mean to be rude when i say this but that shake weight looks like one of the laziest pieces of exercise equipment ever invented. Like some lazy overweight sap sitting on his sofa watching TV suddenly had an idea that he can exercise his arms while sitting and watching TV at the same time. I'd rather just buy a couple of hand weights and tone my biceps and triceps. JUST MY OPINION DON'T BEAT ME UP!

You wouldn't look as silly either xD

wqmkW.gif

He doesn't look really uncomfomfortable at all, does he!!
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    LOL:laugh:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I use the man's one. I log 5 calories per minute, I think that is conservative. Other websites put it at about 30/minute for the guys an 20 for the girls.

I don't believe that.

I use the mans one too! He usually goes on trips though, so I have to do other exercises.
    Does anyone really take that thing seriously?? lol........

Of course! I got my jaws really strong this way!
  • ieva015
    ieva015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I don't believe that.

I use the mans one too! He usually goes on trips though, so I have to do other exercises.

Of course! I got my jaws really strong this way!

oh my godness :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ieva015
    ieva015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Umm yes...

:laugh: :laugh:
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My brother got his wife one for Christmas..................................... as a joke.

These gimmicky items are good for nothing else other than to take your hard earned money. That shake weight is doing less for you than you could do with a $10 pair of 5lb neoprene dumbells from Walmart. The dumbells can be used to do so many more various exercises targeting various muscles in the entire body that a shake weight which is good for one purpose, targeting one specific area of the arm.

If you like it, sure, it's not hurting you do use it one iota, but think about broadening your arm routine with other, more effective exercises.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I use the shakeweight for one hour each day. I haven't lost any weight in my midsection, but my arms look terrific.
  • mcovillion
    Options
    i have the shake weight and noticed my arms got toned. if you do it correctly, it gets your heart rate up, which burns calories too. maybe i'll try it with my HRM on one day to see how many calories it burns.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I have one and I know I burn around 50 calories every work out.
    Man it burns.....
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My husband -- a powerlifter who easily benchpresses over 500 lbs at once -- was given shakeweights as a birthday gag gift. You could shake those things for hours, and it would do NOTHING. It's a gimmick, just like almost all the as-seen-on-tv stuff.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Wow what a bunch of RUDE people. Who cares what people like, or what they don't like. If you don't like it, keep to your self. SMH...

A lot of people like to knock things that they have never tried. I don't own a shake weight, but one day I will. The best way to find out how much calories you are burning using your shake weight is to get a Heart Rate Monitor.

Keep up the good work.
This discussion has been closed.