Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - April Challenge!! Take 2!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• JMSKCW
    JMSKCW Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It looks like I am not the only one struggling this month... I had to take a week off for a minor injury (I think just a strained muscle in my lower back) and I have been weary (read: lazy) to get back to working out. I am definitely not going to meet my goal of 1300 exercise minutes for the month. But, I am not throwing in the towel just yet.

My husband (Kurt) and I are travelling for a wedding this weekend- leaving tomorrow and returning Sunday. The wedding is Friday and on Saturday we are going to a STL Cardinals game. We also have our 1st anniversary coming up on Monday.

Since I have been lazy and unproductive for the majority of the month, I am going to adjust my goals for the end of the month, starting today. Here they are:
    1. I WILL log in every day through the end of the month.
    2. I WILL exercise today, tomorrow, Friday and either Sunday or Monday.
    3. I WILL focus on eating foods that are good for me and stay away from the temptation of foods that just taste good.
    4. I WILL NOT over eat and over drink at the wedding this weekend or any other day of my trip (can't guarantee I won't do that on our anniversary :wink: )
    5. I WILL stay positive, even while sleeping under the same roof as my in-laws.
    6. I WILL NOT get down on myself, even if I eat over my calorie goal- I eat at a deficit and as long as I am still in the range of normal calories, that will be sucess.
    7. I WILL make goals for May and strive to meet them.

Sorry this was a selfish post but I know if I don't put it in writing, I am not going to honor it.

I hope everyone has a great day! This is my first month in this group and even though I have struggled, I must say you ladies have been very supportive and definitely give me the motivation I need. I look forward to hearing how everyone else is doing and I look forward to checking off each goal on my list! :smile:
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Meag- I totally meant to write May for the challenge! hehe whoops. I am trying to think of goals right now. I will come back closer to may to really peg them down. I hope everyone is doing good today!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Aly- Sounds good girl! Definitely looking forward to having you back in the mix :bigsmile: How's life going for you these days? Still training? Still working on trying to balance a fun social life with everything else life throws at us, I assume? I have been *suffering* with that inner tug-of-war lately and I know you have some experience with those same struggles. I definitely look forward to your support and advise in the next month, and hope I can provide the same.

This group has always been awesome for providing a great outlet for airing personal problems, getting support and advice on fitness, diet, and other questions, and just generally feeling like a "safe place". Sure hope it continues :ohwell:

JMSKCW (sorry I forget your name! :blushing:) - Awesome goals to end April with! They all sound really healthy, positive and attainable :happy: The hardest for me would be 5 - staying positive when I feel like I have to relinquish control is tough for me, especially with in-laws! Just take it one day at a time and know that when you're traveling, even an "OK" day by normal standards is a huge victory! If you stay within your normal range, that's a huge success. And happy anniversary! How many years? You two look splendidly happy in your pic! Ahhhh wedded bliss!

AFM... I need to revisit my April goals. I've since posted some new ones for the month to my profile but should update the ones I have here...
    Meagalayne- Set a new PR in the 5K and 1/2 Marathon distances; Run on the beach at every opportunity on vacation and enjoy some good beer, live music, and great food; Finish my novel and start another; Acknowledge when I'm feeling needlessly sorry for myself and work on being positive for the sake of being positive; and finish out the month with a solid, tangible plan for both building strength/toning up and being happy in your personal life and relationship
    Hmmm Let's see. I set a new official PR in the 5K, half TBD this Sunday. I ran on the beach once on vacay, but the weather just did not allow for too much running while I was gone. I finished my novel and started another. Have FAILED at being positive the whole month, but will work on it for these last 6 days. Strength and toning will have to wait for May, but I have made some big changes to my personal life, I'm seeking medical advice on all my crazy symptoms, and am planning to make some big moves career wise in the next few months because where I am right now is just not sustainable.

I posted the following goals to my profile when I got back from the holidays:
    Tangible goals for the rest of the month - Drink more water than coffee (at least 64oz a day), curb my emotional eating at night by checking my actual hunger levels and not eating junk, and log my food until at least April 28th. I'll keep from weighing myself until Friday April 27th. I know my post-vacay weight won't be pretty and there's no sense adding to my stress right now.
    So far so good, apart from the emotional eating. I've done so once already. But haven't been over my cals, really. I just need to make sure I am eating because I am hungry and not just because food is delicious. That's the tough part. I am so accustomed to eating a bed-time snack it's hard to break the habit, even when I'm not hungry at all, and especially when I have 300-400 calories left over. I guess I could have worse problems?

Anyway! That's my rambling for tonight. I'm freaking exhausted. It's bedtime for me. And yes, it's 7:45pm.:yawn:
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Meag- Right now I am actually taking a break from hardcore training. I have a few 12k's and 5k's scheduled but I am just focusing on getting toned and fit for my wedding. Oh the balance of a healthy lifestyle and a social life! I think everyone struggles with this. I have definitely gotten better about beating myself up over going off plan with help from therapy and support. But it is still something I constantly struggle with. I am going on a cruise tomorrow for my bachlor/bachlorette party! my only plan is to make good decisions when I can but really enjoy this vacation, burgers and margaritas and all! I also plan to hit the ground running when I get back, thus why I am excited about setting up some may goals. With the wedding fast approaching, stress has been at an all time high but I do my best and just workout as much as I can and eat as best I can, its all you can do! With only 4 months until the wedding I am ready to fight hard to look fit and toned(not that I don't right now but even more so!) I hope all is well with you, I know you have some of your own beatings that you give yourself, and learning to be nicer to yourself is a hard skill to get.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    sorry I have been MIA as well. I went on a mini trip- long weekend to Boston with my parents visit my sister and it was loads of fun. My sisters bf was there the first 2 days and then left for a business trip. We had good food, did some shopping (got a couple of things for my apartment and some clothes), saw the house my sis n bf just bought, hungout, and just spent time together which was awesome. I managed to do my rest week long run- 15 miles, on Sunday along the Charles river which was awesome. Monday i did a short run with my sister in the pourring rain.

Oh and i dropped my new phone and the glass broke into a million pieces..had to get another one!! arggg..klutziness is expensive. luckily for applecare+ not too bad..

I got back tuesday night just in time to do this really fun scavenger hunt with the run group. We were in teams of 2 and you had to run all over downtown and take photos at different places using clues. I was partnered with a really fast guy so it was a challenge, but I'm pretty competitive so i was more worried about going to all the checkpoints and getting back as quickly as possible

Yesterday we did speedwork- warmup, then 3x1km repeats- then cooldown=total 6,2 miles..i did not want to do the cooldown. I was definitely dragging! My stomach was hating me after, i am not used to speedwork. Muscles were burning last night as well but that felt good.

How were everyones races? I can't remember who was running what but saw people were doing 10k (Abby) and some others. How did they go?

Meag, sorry about thigns with Tyler.. Guessing its better in the long run, but it's never easy. As long as you use training rather than eating as more of a crutch then i think thats okay ;) friends are good too!

For everyone having trouble this month, just hang in there..its almost May!!
  • qwerty07
    qwerty07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    Hope everyone had a great week! I am jealous-it seems like everyone has been on mini-vacations month except for me!!

Abby459- I've fallen off my mileage as well..but I figure its better to run when you have the time/energy and make those runs count, then to drag yourself and risk starting to dislike something which I normally look forward to doing! That great that you are doing a 10k trail run- I'm sure you will do amazing, it seems like you have done alot of trail running preparation, so you should be able to pull it off no problem!

JMSKCW- Congrats on your one year anniversary! Hope you and your husband enjoy your night with some wine, food, and no guilt!!

Megalyne- It looks like you have done an awesome job of achieving your goals for April. No human is capable of having all the balls (work, family, friends, health, relationships, eating right, exercising) up in the air at the same time. And if anyone did-I'm sure that person would find something else that wasn't perfect that they could improve on! Your PR for your 5k was a great accomplishment!

Eleanoreb- Running in the rain is such an accomplishment! I feel like all the muscles in my calves tense up with every step as I try not to slip! Don' t feel too bad about the cellphone, I've heard lots of interesting ways cellphones can break! Infact the last cellphone I had actually fell behind my bed and onto my base heater, and melted. That was difficult to explain to the people at Bell....

I'm going to try to keep up with running/strength training the next couple of days- but I am moving this Saturday so will not get my mileage finished. (I'm counting lifting boxes and moving as my exercise for the weekend!!!) This will be my first time moving out of my parents house- so I can definitely see some of my May goals being influenced by that....and by swimsuit season of course!!!
  • fitontherun
    fitontherun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

The stress of school has temporarily gone away. I'm back just in time for the end of the month.

Abby459-Thanks for the early birthday wishes! I really hope the race goes well. Honestly, I just want to finish.

Meagalayne-Yeah, I'm running a half marathon on Sunday. It's my first half. I'm both excited and nervous for it. Thankfully, it's been over a week since my hip and glute muscle stopped hurting, so I should be good to go for race day. I plan on getting in a two miler in the morning, but then after that, no more running until Sunday! I’m celebrating my birthday tomorrow night (Friday), but the real celebration will come Sunday after the half marathon. Hahaha. I hope I won’t be too exhausted.:laugh:

AFM: I’m just tapering and resting my legs. I’m getting a deep tissue massage tomorrow to get those last minute kinks out of my system. There’s a doctor doing free KT taping at the race expo. I don’t know if it’s psychological, but I feel like kinesiotape (KT tape) makes a difference to how my IT band/knee feel, especially after long runs. This week, I’ve upped my carbohydrate intake and have been drinking more water. I’m so pumped for this weekend.

Hope you guys have a great rest of the day!
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    Fitontherun- goodluck for your half tomorrow!!! you will do great :) I saw your times on your profile and they are almost the same as mine ( although a few seconds faster!!) With a 15k behind you, the half will be good.

Meag-is your race tomorrow as well?

Qwerty- hope the move goes well!! That's exciting to be moving out on your own. will you have roommates? should be fun!

AFM-I went out last night and stayed out way too late and drank a fair bit, danced a ton. It was a lot of fun and I felt like actually had a bit of a life. i am so used to never going out anymore.. especially satudays I wont stay out late because of long run Sunday. This morning I was bit dead but still got my run in :)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Hey all... So I am majorly struggling with motivation this last week. Getting back from holidays is so tough - I am still way off the wagon! :ohwell: Hoping tomorrow's race helps to get me back into a healthy mind-set and ready to kick some *kitten*!

Eating like garbage this week, enjoying beer, way over my cals at least 2-3 days out of the week, and took 3 complete rest days. Very unusual for me. Probably the worst week I've had "schedule-wise" in months, maybe the year to date. Yikes! Not a great way to prep for a race, that's for sure...

El - Yep! Racing tomorrow - 1/2 Marathon! I am so anxious about it because my training has really fallen to the wayside, my body feels like a total trainwreck and I've been treating it like one on account of stress, anxiety, and some major issues in my personal life. No excuses though - just should be interesting to see what tomorrow morning brings. I'll keep you posted by end of day. Great job getting your run in today! I've still got my warm up miles to do and very little motivation. Do you have plans for May 2-4? I was considering a trip out to Ottawa if I have the time and $$. Have to get my car fixed this week so the budget could be tight... Let me know if you'll be in town in case I make it out there!

Fittorun - Almost time! And I am sure you are going to do great tomorrow :bigsmile: How were the birthday celebrations last night? Hope you had a great time. Hydrate well today and get some good carbs into you for tomorrow. Good luck at the race! Can't wait to hear your results :happy:

Qwerty- Thanks for the props - I needed it today! I am feeling so *kitten* about my progress lately :grumble: As for not meeting your mileage goal, you are damn close and I say that's a pretty awesome feat. You kept up with your strength and it sounds like you're making awesome progress in other facets of your life too - our goals definitely have to be flexible enough to accommodate life's changes. Sounds to me like you're doing great! Hold you head up girl - you had a great month!

Aly - Thanks for the pep-talk my dear - You are so right. I need to be nicer to myself! :noway: It's tough most days but I'm working at it. Just hard when you feel like you're sucking at life every day and your family/friends are leading what seem like such happy, healthy and fulfilling lives... This whole balance thing is tough! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate as well right now - When and where are you planning to have the wedding? Details please! We have lots of catching up to do :laugh: Hope you enjoyed your cruise and party!

OK folks I better get my act together today before I start wallowing around. Laundry, run, and some other exercise today I hope. Then a healthy dinner with my folks and a very early night. Up at 5:30am for the race tomorrow so I have to be responsible tonight! :sad: No beer for me! Maybe tomorrow... :wink:
  • fitontherun
    Options
    Yay! I did it! I am officially a half marathoner. I completed the race in 2:18:58 :bigsmile: . I was a bit bummed that I missed my goal of 2:15. But you know what? I'm proud of myself given the circumstances. My right knee and hip started aching at mile 5, but somehow I was able to distract myself and power through it. Not to mention, it started downpouring around mile 8. That's the thing about Oklahoma; our weather is so unpredictable. There was only a 30% chance of rain today. :grumble:

Meagalayne-Thank you for the bday wishes! My birthday went well! It was really boring. I spent it working on papers for school. But I celebrated on Friday night with a bunch of friends. And I hydrated pretty well and carboloaded this week. I am so tired of eating bagels for breakfast. :laugh: I know this is probably late but good luck on your race. I bet you set a new PR! And don't beat yourself up about how you've been eating. Sometimes, life just happens, and we can't help what we do.

Eleanoreb-Thank you! I survived my first half marathon. Running season ends in May, and doesn't start again until about September. I've been eyeing another half marathon that in November. That gives me knees/hip plenty time of heal up. And I'm already looking forwarding to setting a new PR. I bet you are much faster than me now. Those times in 2011 were definitely before my injury. Are you doing any races in the near future?

AFM-So now, I'm gonna rest, prop up my leg, ice it, and roll it out with my handy dandy foam roller. But, the whole IT band issue is frustrating. I love running. I'm not an atheletic person. In fact, I only played the violin and piano in high school. I only picked up running two years ago in college. It just really upsets me that I had to take two months off after November because of IT band syndrome in my left knee/hip. It seems like the same thing is happening again in my right leg. Though, this time, I think I caught it early. Perhaps I have an imbalance issue in my hip or weak quads. I'm just gonna take it easy this week, and possibly show up for senior's day at Zumba on Tuesday and go to Spin class on Friday. And I'm definitely scheduling a post half-marathon massage.:blushing: Sorry for the selfish and possibly depressing post. I guess I'm just an introspective person.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Bonnie - Glad the run felt better off the pavement. I have had shin splints in the past before too....they suck. Now I try to stick to running on trails at least 1/2 of the time!! Hopefully the water before meals helps you...let me know if it works!!

Meag - I love the new goals you set for the rest of the month!! I emotional eat too and have been trying harder to listen to my body and eat when I am hungry not just stressed....we'll see how mine goes! Congrats on the 1/2!! You beat your goal and thats awesome!! I did see your other post though and I am sorry that you aren't loving running anymore...I think I am going through that a little too, it feels more like a chore now. But I have been doing more mountain biking and running a little less and that seems to help....maybe if you take some of the racing pressure off yourself and run less you will enjoy it more??

Eleanor - Glad you had a nice Boston trip....Boston is my Fav city to visit, I have several friends from college who live up there and I visit every chance I get!! That scavenger hunt run sounds like soo much fun, I would love to do something like that...it takes some of the mundane-ness (thats not a word??) out of running.

Qwerty - Yay, I think my mileage for the month is only around 55miles or so?? But oh well, I agree that you can't always force it!! Congrats on moving out of the rents house!! Its hard to get used to at first but I am sure that you will love it!!

Fit on the Run - Congrats on your 1/2!!!!! I know its soo exciting to finish!! Sorry you didn't make you goal time, but you did amazing and its the first one, so no need for a goal time anyways....now you have a time to beat!! And I hope the leg feels better soon...ice, rest, motrin!!!

AFM - I have been doing a little better with the eating and have gotten back on track with my workouts...doing a little more mountain biking then running right now, but I am enjoying it!! I ran my Trail 10K yesterday....took a major fall and landed my arm right an a rock....very swollen and bruised today, but no major damage and I finished with a decent time just over 66mins which is awesome for me on a difficult trail. I have that Relay Marathon coming up in May and then I am debating another 1/2 maybe in Septemeber?? Not sure yet. Right now just trying to re-focus and get the 2lbs I re-gained back off!!!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    ARGHHHHHH :sad: I just wrote a big long post (almost all selfishness) and accidentally hit the back button and lost it all. Maybe it's a sign that I need to stop being such a baby and cut all my complaining? :tongue: Anyway I'll summarize quickly...

Today's been rough for me. Really rough. I am just really sad to be honest - Loneliness is catching up with me and today's race left me feeling incredibly un-fulfilled. I did a great job meeting my goals but it just didn't feel good and I definitely don't feel like I'm getting all the same goodness out of racing that I used to. Definitely not feeling the love for running these days. I need to find some way to regain my love for fitness or else just change things up entirely. I'm not quite sure but it needs to happen, like, yesterday :noway: I need the release!

fittorun - Congrats on you 1/2! Fab finish! May not have hit your ultimate goal but you finished and powered through some major adversity to get it done. I know that feeling (having run my first 1/2 on an injury) and it's so satisfying to know you can conquer just about anything. Great job today. I hope you're enjoying the victory! :drinker:

Abby - Hope you're healing up quickly from your tumble yesterday - and great job on the trail run! Sounds like fun! :smile: Wish I had a RL running/mtn biking friend like you around to get my *kitten* motivated to get out there and get active. Sounds like you've got a great fitness schedule.

I definitely need to continue to put myself out there to meet people and find fun in life. I've been thinking I may try to find group tennis lessons or something else. Maybe join a running group, or a strength training group if I could find one. I need to find a way to make some friends and find some enjoyment in my every day. My spinning friend seems to always be too busy to hang out which is a bit of a frustration, but not much I can do about it. Just have to put my head down and keep working at it. That and job searching... Just have to stick to it. Eventually it'll pay off, right :huh:

Have a great week my loves - Nearly May! Make these last few days of April count! :heart:
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    happy last day of April!!! I keep thinking it's already May 1st today for some reason.

Fitonthe run- Sorry what's your name again? I am bad with names!! Congrats on your half!! it must feel good to have it over with!! Very impressive to pull through, even with your injury. And happy belated birthday :) I have only run one half marathon, last fall, and I did it in just under 2:03. I am currently training for my first marathon on May 27th..eek!! You don't run over summer there, because it's too hot?

Abby- omg!!!!! you fell on your arm and just kept going. you are so hardcore. I hope it heals quickly, that is so scary!! Doesn't really make me want to do a trail run anytime soon.. I am also thinking of doing a half in the fall! Would be fun if we both did!! I tend to lose motivation as I take holidays in August and over the summer..

Meag- Congrats on your half! great time. I'm not sure what to tell you about motivation. You may just need a break. After my half I didn't run for about a month!! Maybe more.. maybe a couple months even. I just wanted a huge break from running and a bit of a break from working out in general. I think tennis is a great idea. I will be around May long week end and ould love to see you!! You should definitely come if budget/time allow for it. It will be the weekend right before my marathon so I'm not sure how long my runs will be, but i'm sure I could still go for a small one with you on the canal or just go for coffee, or whatever you would like!! I understand about the loneliness, must be hard after having Tyler around so much.. guess too soon to be friends?

AFM long run yesterday was 17.4 miles, and a few people from my group picked up the pace partway through the run. I folllowed as it was super windy and i wanted to draft as much as possible on this bridge, and we ended up pulling ahead a fair bit from the group. ABout 5k from the end we were feeling really really tired. This was definitely good lesson for me, for what NOT to do in the marathon and good mental challenge for how to cope if you go out too hard and then crash. Still made it to the end in bit under 3 hours, but will definitely have to take it slower in the coming long runs and on the race too. Am feeling a bit sore/run down today so will take it easy. Busy day at work!!
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Last day of the month and I pop in so sorry I was not supportive this month but to be honest school, work and other things have taken up my whole time that dedicating this much time to the threads was nearly impossible, my last day of school is May 24th and I think Im deciding on NOT attending summer school. I did stay on top of my goals mainly all of them but I plan on coming back on here for the month of May stronger, can't promise I will be as dedicated as I was in the previous months but I will try and post on a coupe times per week and for sure June will be much better! Hope no ones is disappointed in me for not being a supportive MPF'er!! :grumble:

Thanks for keeping this going Meag you've done awesome and congrats on your race!

Abby same to you congrats on completing that difficult trail run! Keep pushing ladies! I will think of some May goals! :heart: Cynthia!
  • qwerty07
    qwerty07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't believe tomorrow is May 1st!!! The first week of this month is going to be super hectic for me- with moving and putting together furniture, work, and going to a work course outside of the city for four days, definitely going to need to plan my exercise in advance. And I think I need to stat planning exercise in the morning...as the day goes on I get more tired and less motivated to run. When I am running in the morning my brain is too foggy to process I am actually doing work!!

Fitontherun- Congratulations on your first half marathon!!! Isn't the feeling when you finish the best? I agree though that the soreness after is not pleasant. Definitely get a massage...you deserve it!

Eleanoreb- I am going to be living with my sister..which I am hoping will help with any homesick twinges I get! Your marathon training sounds intense, but fun! When do you run the full? I am doing a full in October...have only ever done a half before, so I am open to tips you can give me on training for the full!

Megalyne- Have you looked into Running rooms in your area? They tend to have running groups...and if you wanted to socialize outside fitness, what about taking a professional development course? Sorry I don't know what your interests really are, but I met onw of my best friends at a 3 day course at museum management....I find it's a lot harder to make new friends at this stag ein the game (mid 20's) but you are such a supportive, positive person I am sure you will be fine!

abby459- You re amazing for finishing a race with an injury like that. The danger of running injuries occurring whie doing trail runs is what worries me the most about those types of runs. But thats great that you pused through! What is the marathon relay you have coming up in May going to be like?
  • meagalayne
    Options
    wowza! The month is GONE! :noway:

I have no time at all to catch up tonight but I do plan to reply to your updates very soon... For now, please join the new month's challenge. It's a fresh start for us all! So even if you didn't meet all your goals, or want to switch things up, it's tabla rasa today.

Kick some *kitten* and take some names in May, ladies.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/581468-kicking-a-in-our-twenties-may-challenge-take-2

Much love and catch you all soon :drinker:
    Meag
  • fitontherun
    Options
    I can't believe it's already May. it seems like yesterday it was only March.I guess now is the time to check out next month's thread.

Qwerty07-Thank you! I got a massage done this morning, and it felt so good!

Eleanoreb-I don't think I ever introduced myself. My name is Chinwe. Wow! You're really fast! Oooh, that's so exciting that yuo're training for a marathon. I hope your training is going well. Running season usually peaks in May and start up again in September down here. It's just too hot to run! Last summer, we had a month of temperatures above 100!

abby459-Fantastic job on completing the trail race. I'm sorry you took a tumble, I hope you're not in too much pain. I wish you a speedy recovery! I've been resting and icing and foam rolling, and my knee isn't in too much pain as of this morning.

Meagalayne-I think a running group is an excellent idea. I find it intimidating to put myself out there to go out and meet other people. But I know you can do it! :bigsmile: