9/11/01

Options
13»

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in my first block French class. I remember not really believing what I was seeing, and we all just sat in silence as we watched NBC on all the tvs that morning. Our principal wanted to turn off all of the tvs at one point, and my teacher got really mad. She put up a piece of construction paper over the window in the door and turned back on the tv. She said, "This is history, and this is important!" I thank her for allowing us to watch.

I remember seeing a memorial show sometime later made from a whole bunch of eye-witnesses spliced together. Though the images grainy and the audio stifled, it was so incredibly moving that I just lay in bed and cried for an hour while watching. You could actually see people jumping to their death from the burning towers. We must never ever forget that. Even if 9/11 isn't a national holiday, it is for sure a day of remembrance. I keep those people in my prayers, and I pray for the safety of our glorious country.

I :heart: USA

make that 102 minutes of crying. "102 minutes that changed America." On the history channel now.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I was a senior in high school in Child Development class and my teacher had ran to the library (where there was a tv) to make copies and she came back into the classroom and announced "a plane just hit the World Trade Center!" Although I've lived in Connecticut all my life, I had never been to NYC and didn't understand the magnitude of the WTC buildings and therefore wasn't as shocked as some of my peers to hear the news. I thought it was terrible, obviously, but didn't quite understand how massive and powerful the towers were. I remember going to physics, but stopping in the main office where my Mom was the secretary on the way to class- which I had done every day of my high school career- only to get kicked out by the vice principal, as she cried. Once I was in physics, the building went into lockdown and that's when I really started to panic and get a weird feeling.

My friend and I had plans to go to McDonalds after school because we were getting out early that day. I remember when we left they made us all go out the front door and sign out of the building.

But, what strikes me the most about that day is walking out of the building with my head and shoulders crouched down as if I was ducking from something, just staring at the sky thinking something was going to come roaring at me. We went to McDonlads, and ended up watching the news at her house. I remember every single radio station and every single television station- not just the news channels- was showing footage, and once everything started to sink in, I went home and spent time with my family.

I've always been very patriotic, and thought my grandfather, who enlisted in the navy on his 18th birthday (because you had to be 18 to enlist), who traveled the world and lost hearing in his right ear, and partially in his left to fight for our country is a true hero. September 11th only made my patriotism stronger. Then, as an RA in college, after planning a program for residents in which they would bundle care packages for soldiers, and having not 1 student show up, I was angry, defeated and downright p*ssed. I took the opportunity to educate my peers about their freedoms, and used it as a "teachable moment".

I the patriotism felt on 9/11/01 and each year afterward could last all year long...
  • graciegal7402
    Options
    I was working as a 4th grade teacher in NC. It was the middle of my first of 4 blocks. One of the teacher assistants stuck her head in the door of my room and asked me if I had heard. Of course being in the classroom teaching you don't typically have a tv or radio going in the middle of your lesson, so I had no idea! I didn't get much information all day long except when my students went to their PE class and I had planning. I tried to call my Aunt and Uncle numerous times throughout the day since my Aunt worked in Manhattan I was really worried about her. It took me all day to get in touch with them and thankfully she didn't have to go to work that day. I was supposed to be in an afterschool meeting but I talked them into canceling so we could go home and check in with our families and loved ones. I basically was glued to the TV the next few weeks trying to understand what had happened. It definately changed my perspective on life! I try to always tell people what I think and feel because you never know. It is so important for us to always remember what happened and those who gave their lives that day and every day!
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I was working for the same company I am currently working for and I was listening to the radio when I heard the first plane had hit the WTC. I thought it had to be an accident. Things like that just don't happen here. Then the guys on the radio station were still watching the news and was telling everything that was happening as it was happening and then the second plane hit. They were talking about the other planes coming down in DC and PA. It was such a shock and all I wanted to do was to go home so I could watch the news and see for myself. I ended up having to work the whole 12 hour shift but I watched the news for days feeling so sad for everyone that had lost someone. Every year on this date at the exact time, my company still has a moment of silence for the lost lives that day. I think that is a good thing they are doing but it is still sad to think about it and makes me want to cry when I do think about it or see footage from that day.

Thanks Jeannie for bringing this up! It's good for everyone to remember everyone out there helping fight for our country and our freedom!
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    Jeannie- thank you for this.

I was going to write about what I was doing but I just really want to say thank you to the men and women who risk their lives every day for us. Thank You Thank You THANK YOU!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    If tomorrow all the things were gone
    . . I'd worked for all my life,
    And I had to start again
    . . with just my children and my wife,
    I'd thank my lucky stars
    . . to be livin' here today.
    Cause the flag still stands for freedom
    . . And they can't take that away.

And I'm proud to be an American
    Where at least I know I'm free
    And I won't forget the men who died
    Who gave that right to me
    And I gladly stand up
    . . next to you and defend her still today
    Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
    God bless the USA

From the lakes of Minnesota
    ... To the hills of Tennessee
    ... Across the plains of Texas
    ... From sea to shining sea
    ... From Detroit down to Houston
    ... And New York to LA
    Well there's pride in every American heart
    And its time we stand and say..

That I'm proud to be an American
    And I gladly stand up . . next to you and defend her still today
    God bless the USA

And I'm proud to be an American
    And I gladly stand up . . next to you and defend her still today
    God bless the USA!
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Great tribute Jeannie.....and thanks for the thread!!

Reading all the post brings tears to my eyes again. It was a terrifying day, i was at work when it happened, about 60 minutes away from the site in PA and the house i was living in then was only about 30 minutes away. My son was in school and because of the closeness of that tragedy, everyone was getting their kids out of school. I got a friend to pick him up and get him home. I remember the school didn't tell the kids what was going on.

Let's all pray for a better world......
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    MY HEART GOES OUT TO THOSE OF 9-11:heart::heart: :heart: :cry: :cry: :brokenheart:
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Great song, Jeannie. I enjoyed reading everyone's posts and re-living that day again. Let's never forget, guys. It's so important!
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    God bless the men and women serving our country. Please watch over Lee, Justin, Ryan and Ryan's brother (can't remember his name, sorry) and all the men and women over seas and in the USA that put their lives on the line for us everyday.

God Bless the USA!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I was enjoying my morning before my 1-9 shift at a clothing boutique when my friend called me and said "Turn on the tv NOW, something happened in NY!" -- I turned it on at a neighors house because I didn't own a TV at the time - just in time to watch the 2nd plane hit the south tower. By the time the kids were walking in the door (they sent everyone home), the first tower was falling down.

@ tabsoda -- thank you for posting those lyrics, I you-tubed it and listened to the song - :brokenheart:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I was on my way to temp at an Orthodontic office that was in a tall building in the midst of alot of other tall buildings. I was lost in the city listening to Russ Parr on the radio. Every office in that area closed except for the one I was working at, just in case more attacks were planned in other cities. It took all my might to park my car and go into work. No patients showed up that day of course, but the company would not let us leave. We all just sat around listening to the radio and talking about our kids. My daughter was 1 at the time.

Afterwards, my church invited a local Imam (Islamic Priest) to speak and qualm the fears that were taking over. The Detroit area has a very high muslim and arabic population. It was a wonderful experience. I grew up with alot of arabic and Mulsim friends, so I was so sad at all the anger that was going around. I was afraid that my daughter would grow up not only in the midst of a war, but in the midst of hate. I thank God everyday for being a part of something positive like that. I have friends who have served, my best friends brother in law just left for Iraq two days ago. Those men and women are so brave! And so are the wives and husbands and children who see them off and wait for thier safe return.

I love the following quote:
    "The real differences around the world today are not between Jews and Arabs; Protestants and Catholics; Muslims, Croats, and Serbs. The real differences are between those who embrace peace and those who would destroy it; between those who look to the ...future and those who cling to the past; between those who open their arms and those who are determined to clench their fists." ~William J. Clinton, 1997

God Bless our troops! And everyone else too!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Apropos... I was in Poli-Sci class in college. I'm extremely sensitive to discrimination and I was very empathetic about how the Muslim community would be portrayed & subsequently treated, so I volunteered at a local Muslim center. My family was very concerned for my safety, but it was something I felt I had to do.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I was just waking up, and logged on to the internet and was stunned to see the home page.

I honestly thought it was some badly-conceived cruel publicity for a movie or something, that unbelievable. At the time, my boss (and dear mentor) lived in NYC about two blocks away from the WTC. I couldn't get him on the phone and I was sure I'd lost him. He was actually at a meeting in midtown (away a bit from the towers) so he was just fine, but couldn't get back into his apartment for weeks afterward.

It was a terrible time. I wasn't right for weeks afterward. . .I was one of those people who watched TV for hours and prayed that they would find somebody alive in the terrible wreckage. I had always known that there were dreadful things in the world, but it defied the imagination.

I had an acquaintance who told me yesterday that a woman came into her office yesterday and said "Why is the flag at half mast?" and then when my friend reminded her she said "Oh, but that was so long ago." (sort of . . ."meh"). Shocking.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Apropos... I was in Poli-Sci class in college. I'm extremely sensitive to discrimination and I was very empathetic about how the Muslim community would be portrayed & subsequently treated, so I volunteered at a local Muslim center. My family was very concerned for my safety, but it was something I felt I had to do.

That is awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • Daniel78
    Options
    I woke up in my dorm room to the phone ringing. My mother called to tell me of the news. I ran out into the day room where most of the guys in my squadron were watching the news in horror. I was born and raised in New York and sat dumbfounded on the edge of my seat feeling so helpless. I deployed there shortly thereafter. What a tragedy.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I woke up in my dorm room to the phone ringing. My mother called to tell me of the news. I ran out into the day room where most of the guys in my squadron were watching the news in horror. I was born and raised in New York and sat dumbfounded on the edge of my seat feeling so helpless. I deployed there shortly thereafter. What a tragedy.

Daniel let me say thank you for being there when we needed you. I pray for our service men and women each day:flowerforyou: