So, now I wonder, where do the truly "skinny" people shop?

Options

Replies

• WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, Limited Too. While I'm conflicted by the "truly skinny" thing, I'll comment anyway. I'm a 00-0, and I shop at Gap (though their sizes are a bit inflated now and a 0 is like a 2), Banana Republic, Express (their sizes don't seem to be inflated), and I'll get cheaper clothes in the Juniors section at Kohls or something. Most stores carry small sizes. Even when I get 0's, I still have to get pants altered/have to cuff them.

I have to respectfully disagree - I buy 00s at Express, and they are still huge! I have a big problem finding pants that fit. I shop in the kids' section in places but you can't really find professional kids' clothing. LOL

It sucks because I LOVE Victoria's Secret clothing, but their size 0 is REALLY big on me.

Hence the "seem". All of their cuts are different-- I can't say I own every pair, haha. Plus, body composition does have an effect.
  • sdubya04
    sdubya04 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, too. I used to love Maurices but now their sizes are WAY too big. A size 0 is NO WAY a 0. I like The buckle because they go by measurements instead 24s. and they hem if needed. I buy almost all my clothes at Maurices or the Buckle.
    Good post! Very helpful!
    :smile:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i like bebe and arden B for play clothes and limited and banana republic for work clothes. they carry all sizes :smile:
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    My favorite shops:

♥ TopShop
    ♥ Forever21
    ♥ Modcloth
    ♥ Plasticland
    ♥ Ruche
    ♥ Free People
    ♥ Urban Outfitters
    ♥ Planet Blue

And there are also really awesome deals on Ebay, lots of Koren and China stores, with amazing dresses, and even more amazing prices, and the clothes are always smaller in size......
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

In the juniors section.

Not always true. Juniors clothes are cut for a more straight up and down figure when the sizes get smaller. If you're a smaller size with a shapley figure the pants dont fit well. I usually wear a size 2 or small (I'm pretty short too) but I shop in the womens sections.

I shop in boutiques in the city too. One thing I did notice though is stores like target wont carry small sizes. The lable will say otherwise, but the clothes are huge. I used to like their tshirts okay lol

And, again, when I WAS a junior (and a very tiny one, at that), I was VERY CURVY and found clothes in the junior section that fit fine. I was a size 3 back when size 3 was size 3.

She needs to really look, but I bet she'll have success there.

I didnt try to hard really. I can fit into the clothes, like size 3s, but they're huge in the waist. theres only a 10 inch difference between my hips and waist too so I figured its just juniors clothes as I have better luck in the womens sections. I have a huge butt for my size too so it just looks weird on me lol

You need a mid-rise or a low-rise. They sit on the hips so you don't have to worry about the waste.

Lorina -- I have a 17-year-old daughter, so I spend a lot of time in the juniors section of stores. While there certainly are a lot of trendy jeans, they also carry the kind you described. It probably depends on the store, though.

Low risers do work but my butt crack shows when I sit down lol. I'm a little old for all that crack now plus I teach hs kids so definitely a no go
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    A lot of stores start at size 0 or 00, I don't know of a store that doesn't carry those sizes.

I wear a 3 or 4, depending on the brand, I have the opposite problem of @dad106 though...I'm short and it's hard to find pants that aren't either too long or too short. I'm just between a "short" and "regular"...too bad they don't make in betweens :sad:

same thing here. i am 5'4" so a lot of the petite pants or shorts are too short... and the medium/regular are typically an inch or two long on me... i hate it!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    This is a problem for me too.
    I shop at the Limited and Ann Taylor but not as often anymore. I cannot longer wear their skirts because size 0 is huge on me. Pants I can still do even if they are a bit loose.
    Jeans, I would have to start shopping at the junior section I guess.

This is a problem I never thought I would have. It has been a challenge to find quality proffessional outfits that fit right.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I was just re-reading through some of the posts, and Banana Republic petite sizes fit me like a gem. I wear a 0 petite in work pants there, and I never have a problem. They're cut shorter, waist is a smidge smaller, etc. Maybe try looking for places that carry petites in addition to regular sizes?
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The Limited still exists? THROW BACK
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Low risers do work but my butt crack shows when I sit down lol. I'm a little old for all that crack now plus I teach hs kids so definitely a no go

Try a mid-rise. Old Navy actually has some good ones for big hips and small waists. I want to say The Flirt? I think that's the style I like in there. They're boot cut midrise.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm having this problem myself. I did find some jeans in the juniors section of kohls, along with some workout clothes. But I had to try on maybe 50 pairs of jeans to find 1 pair that fit. And forget the juniors section for everyday clothes.....too young and trendy for this 48 year old! I want to look "put-together", most of the juniors stuff is either too frilly and girly or too skimpy for my taste. I'm finding it is harder to dress my 5'3", 115 pound self than my former 143 pound self.
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Kohls, forever21, guess, pacsun, old navy, the limited

Old Navy does NOT carry small enough sizes. I wore an S or XS there even at my heaviest (138-140), and now all of their clothes have that "slouchy" look on me. They are also incredibly inconsistent in their sizing (probably because it's hard to regulate the cuts when you have Indonesian toddlers sewing your garments) so you can't just order something in a 4 and assume it will fit.

....Rant aside, I love Old Navy and will shop there until the day I die. I just have to try things on first.
  • marieautumn
    Options
    i love the limited for work clothes...and they hem your pants for free. double win.
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    I was just re-reading through some of the posts, and Banana Republic petite sizes fit me like a gem. I wear a 0 petite in work pants there, and I never have a problem. They're cut shorter, waist is a smidge smaller, etc. Maybe try looking for places that carry petites in addition to regular sizes?

Thanks for the tip. I will see how the lenght on the pant fit me.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Well, depending on your age and what style you like to wear would determine a couple of stores. My daughter who is a zero/double zero shops at American Eagle, Hollister, and Victoria Secret for her jeans and dress pants. Occasionally she can get something at Koals or JC Penny's too. Try shopping on line. Lots of stores that don't have small clothes on the floor do sell them on line. Good luck and congrats with your weight loss. She also had to go to the Jr. section in a couple of stores such as JC Penny's and Koals.
  • marieautumn
    Options
    Kohls, forever21, guess, pacsun, old navy, the limited

Old Navy does NOT carry small enough sizes. I wore an S or XS there even at my heaviest (138-140), and now all of their clothes have that "slouchy" look on me. They are also incredibly inconsistent in their sizing (probably because it's hard to regulate the cuts when you have Indonesian toddlers sewing your garments) so you can't just order something in a 4 and assume it will fit.

....Rant aside, I love Old Navy and will shop there until the day I die. I just have to try things on first.

i have the same problem with old navy bottoms...their tops usually fit ok but the bottoms are always cut weird and don't look right to me. i stick to shopping there for my son.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'll go ahead and chime in that I think tailoring may be your new best friend. I'm an hourglass figure, so I've always had an issue with the waist of my pants being too big. I've started tailoring, and it costs about $10/pair. 100% worth it in my mind when it takes a pair of pants from "Eh, I almost like them/would like them if they fit better" to "OMG, these are my favorite jeans EVER!"
    Having something that's tailored to your frame really does make all the difference. I've even had the seams taken in over the thighs, with fantastic results.
    SO, if you're truly having a hard time finding anything off-the-rack, I would find a good tailor that you like, find some brands that are cheap enough to add in the alteration price, and then walk around rockin' clothes that fit you perfectly.
    (I kid you not, I was dancing in front of the mirror last night with glee at how well my jeans looked fresh from the tailor. Also got some shorts hemmed to the perfect length for my legs. It was awesome)
  • MariaMariaM
    Options

Yes, but I think the quality has gone down quite a bit. I am not into many of the fabrics they are using today and some of the tops look a bit cheap IMO. I still like the way the Drew pants fit me but I need to start looking at other stores for even better fit.
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Most women's stores do start at 0.. so you can buy size zero womens clothes.

I wear a 4 and don't have a problem finding clothes.. the only problem I have is that I'm tall and can't find small clothes long enough to fit my body.

HA! Glad I'm not the only one. I have the best luck at Banana Republic.
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Also, don't go to Dress Barn (what an unfortunate name for a women's clothing store...especially one with a plus-size section). I went there looking for a cute & cheap dress and everything was reeeeal big, even the 4s.