English to USA Translations

Options

Replies

• roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What about the thing you sit on in a sitting room? We have sofas. WHat are they in the US?

Sofas or couches.

But we usually call it a living room unless we're super rich. :-)

Can also be called a settee =) I say couch most of the time
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Oh and "front room" instead of living/sitting room!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    What about the thing you sit on in a sitting room? We have sofas. WHat are they in the US?

We call this a sofa, couch....if it's a 2 seater, we sometimes call it a love seat....because two people in LOVE can sit together. ;)
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    holiday = vacation
  • dalildevil
    dalildevil Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have one

Washroom (Canada) - Bathroom (US)
    Washroom (US) - Laundry room (Canada)

Maybe I should be more specific. I heard this in West Virginia, I don't know if it's true across the US
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options

We call this a sofa, couch....if it's a 2 seater, we sometimes call it a love seat....because two people in LOVE can sit together. ;)

...or two people can uncomfortably sit too close to one another if at a party and all the other good spots are taken. haha.
    depends on the love seat though
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have one

Washroom (Canada) - Bathroom (US)
    Washroom (US) - Laundry room (Canada)

It's a laundry room in the US. At least in my experience.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Question for the British: What do you call the cart you put your groceries in while shopping? We have a few variations between northern and southern US. In the north, it is either carriage or shopping cart. In the south I have heard people call them buggies.
    I'm from NY, so they're carts. But some people here in VA call them buggies. Also, they put my groceries in bags, but Southerners' in sacks.
    hmm, must be a VA thing. I've lived a long time in GA and NC/SC, and we call them bags here. Shopping cart. And grocery bags.

I've lived in Georgia and Florida and I always hear the people with the Southern accents call them buggies. It's us Yankee carpetbaggers who call them carts. :-) So I hear both. I can't remember hearing anyone call a bag a sack, though. Not saying it isn't the case, I just haven't noticed it.

We definitely call them buggies in the south!!
    Maybe it's b/c I live in the large cities of the south, like Atlanta and Charlotte. I've NEVER heard someone call it a buggy. Maybe in the smaller towns, perhaps?
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Another one I've run across here on MFP:

US drive-through > UK Take-away

Take away isn't just a drive through, it's usually an order for pick up for a delivery.
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    Question for the British: What do you call the cart you put your groceries in while shopping? We have a few variations between northern and southern US. In the north, it is either carriage or shopping cart. In the south I have heard people call them buggies.
    I'm from NY, so they're carts. But some people here in VA call them buggies. Also, they put my groceries in bags, but Southerners' in sacks.
    hmm, must be a VA thing. I've lived a long time in GA and NC/SC, and we call them bags here. Shopping cart. And grocery bags.

I've lived in Georgia and Florida and I always hear the people with the Southern accents call them buggies. It's us Yankee carpetbaggers who call them carts. :-) So I hear both. I can't remember hearing anyone call a bag a sack, though. Not saying it isn't the case, I just haven't noticed it.

Maybe it's b/c I live in the large cities of the south, like Atlanta and Charlotte. I've NEVER heard someone call it a buggy. Maybe in the smaller towns, perhaps?

I have noticed that NO ONE in the US calls them carriages??? really? in CT it is quite common.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You probably ran into more Northerners in those places. Where I lived in GA was a TINY place. 50,000 total population for the county, so a lot of "natives."

Where I live now is bigger and we still have a lot of transplants, but there are a lot of people here who grew up in the rural South and they call them buggies.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    haha we don't say 'knock me up' or 'gataux'
    love that Americans think we do though.

you say 'pissed' to mean angry.... i keep thinking you're describing yourself as 'so drunk' not 'so angry'...

xxx

That pissed thing is interesting...I had NO idea it meant drinking for you all...
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    I can see how sometimes a child's meal is called tea, as they are usually hungry when they get out of school, so some children have a meal at 4 or 5 pm, which is tea time, but I don't think anyone would call an evening meal tea. Tea is definitely afternoon.

It's a regional thing. I personally call my evening meal "My Tea". Last night I had fish pie for my tea. "Dinner" to me is around noon. Dinner time. Dinner ladies at schools aren't lunch ladies!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Tele/tellie(sp?)=TV
    Knickers=undies/underwear/panties (as in, "Don't get your knickers/panties in a twist.")
    Flat=Apartment
    Petrol=Gasoline
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I was staying with an American friend and couldn't work the tap in the bathroom.

"Hey your tap's stuck!"
    "My what?"
    "Your tap, you know the thing over the sink the water comes out of."
    "Oh, faucet!"

So I forced it and the damn thing came off in my hand.

I'm surprised at this one. We use the term "tap water" in the US all the time!! But we do generally call the faucets. Or in the midwest it's just a sink.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    When grocery shopping I use a carriage or cart
    When driving around a round thing it is a Rotary

I'm in Maine now but grew up in Massachussetts.

The one I like is that the HOOD of a car is called a "bonnet" overseas. Cracks me up. A bonnet is a frilly white hat usually seen on baby girls or pioneer women with strings that tie beneath the chin.
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    Candy = sweets
    Popsicle = ice lolly!!! LOL this one is the best
    Chips = crisps
    French Fries = chips
    Shopping buggy/cart = trolley

When you guys say,"They were all taking the piss!" meaning they were laughing... lol
    "He made me mad, but I didn't tell him off." I believe telling someone off is yelling at them or getting angry with them.
  • lizj1
    lizj1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can see how sometimes a child's meal is called tea, as they are usually hungry when they get out of school, so some children have a meal at 4 or 5 pm, which is tea time, but I don't think anyone would call an evening meal tea. Tea is definitely afternoon.

... but there is afternoon tea, and then there is high tea, a very different thing! Maybe it's regional - here in Glasgow / West Coast my friend might still say "let's have tea out" meaning go out for an evening meal. It definitely has connotations of earlier and less posh than dinner though. And it's probably less used that it used to be.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    And is the English equivalent to fanny to dirty or something to discuss on here? I really have no idea and am too nervous to google it here at work!!
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

HA.. If I ever run into you in Charlotte, I'll be sure to call it a buggy! Of course, I'm from a smaller town about an hour away from Charlotte.. though I have lived in Charlotte for the last 12 years.