English to USA Translations

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also love the difference in pronunciation of some things over here. Yoghurt sounds like boggart. You say *kitten* the way we say pasta and we say *kitten* the way you say pasta.

This would depend on the region you're in. I'm from "up North" and here we'd say *kitten* and pasta the same...not sure how you Americans say them so not sure if its the same or different :-D

*kitten* has a short a sound and pasta like the o in lobster.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Advert= commercial.
    anti-clockwise=counteclockwise.
    bits and bobs = general things.
    bone-idle=lazy.
    candy floss= cotton candy.
    daft=stupid.
    gangway= a little path between seats.
    hundreds-and-thousands= sprinkles.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Also, rubbers over here are ERASERS. My ex boss asked me for a rubber once and I nearly died. Rubbers to us are condoms, so that was awkward.
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    UK Roundabout = US Rotary
    UK Bum Bag = US Fanny Pack (cracks me up this one!)
    UK *kitten* = US Cigarette
    UK Homosexual = US *kitten*
  • rml_16
    Options
    I apologise for generalising on the UK to USA translations... all translations are fun!

I didn't want to have Eggplant in the USA because I literally thought it would taste of egg! Didn't realise I was missing out on Aubergine at the time!

Oh, and I'm Southern UK but I still think "*kitten*" sounds better the way it's pronounced oop north, which is how I always say it!

I am so glad to learn that aubergine is eggplant. I've seen a few recipes I wanted to try that called for aubergine. I'd heard the word before but had no idea where to find it! lol
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    haha we don't say 'knock me up' or 'gataux'
    love that Americans think we do though.

you say 'pissed' to mean angry.... i keep thinking you're describing yourself as 'so drunk' not 'so angry'...

xxx

I remember when I was travelling through Europe and was hanging out with some Aussies. One of them said, "I was so pissed last night!" and I wondered for a few minutes what he was so angry about. :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You say lie low, we say floaty/air mattress/inflatable. That one got me confused for a second while on vacation with Brits and Aussies :happy:
    hahaha lilo not lie low hahahahaha Sounds the same I'll give you that but this made me laugh!!! xx
    Don't you think it might sound the same because the trademarked name "Li-lo" was a clever spelling of "lie low"?
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Also love the difference in pronunciation of some things over here. Yoghurt sounds like boggart. You say *kitten* the way we say pasta and we say *kitten* the way you say pasta.

This would depend on the region you're in. I'm from "up North" and here we'd say *kitten* and pasta the same...not sure how you Americans say them so not sure if its the same or different :-D

In that case Northern England we pronounce both how you do *kitten* :-)
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You say lie low, we say floaty/air mattress/inflatable. That one got me confused for a second while on vacation with Brits and Aussies :happy:
    hahaha lilo not lie low hahahahaha Sounds the same I'll give you that but this made me laugh!!! xx
    Don't you think it might sound the same because the trademarked name "Li-lo" was a clever spelling of "lie low"?

Wow - how did I never notice this???
  • rml_16
    Options

I've only heard them called roundabouts in the US. Rotary is a club (Rotary International).
  • ickybella
    Options
    I apologise for generalising on the UK to USA translations... all translations are fun!

I didn't want to have Eggplant in the USA because I literally thought it would taste of egg! Didn't realise I was missing out on Aubergine at the time!

Oh, and I'm Southern UK but I still think "*kitten*" sounds better the way it's pronounced oop north, which is how I always say it!

We stayed in Lumley Castle for our honeymoon and spent a couple of days in Newcastle upon Tyne. The Geordie accent is the best thing I have ever heard in my life. My husband is so posh; he's from Windsor and I long for the North!
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

Wow - how did I never notice this???
    Well you've heard it all your life and never had much reason to think about it, I imagine.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

I've only heard them called roundabouts in the US. Rotary is a club (Rotary International).

I know they are Rotaries in the Northeast. My wife is from Boston and I grew up in the UK so we argue all the time about it.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    UK USA
    film = movie
    cinema = movie theatre/multiplex
    hook up (meet up) = hook up (something else... ) though this is shifting as UK popular/teen culture becomes more and more Americanised. I once heard this cause similar confusion to the 'knock me up' situation mentioned!

I'm having coffee with an American friend this evening, so I'll look out for others!
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

They are called rotaries in some places. This is the problem with "US" meanings since we are a rather large country and the regional differences can be very marked.
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    spanner = wrench
    boot = trunk (car)
    windscreen = windshield (car)
    mate = buddy, friend
    *kitten* = cigarette
    cheers = goodbye

My favorite story is from a male friend that was stationed there and was told by a woman at the end of the evening to "OK knock me up in the morning." A discussion took place as to what the woman meant as in USA "knock up" means to make make pregnant not to wake up by knocking on the door.

I know more but I can't think of them now and someone will probably post them later.

knock me up in the morning....ARE YOU SERIOUS? I'm laughing hysterically at this as I type!!!!!!

I am truthfully telling the story as it was related to me. Charliedavis (previousposter) says that they do not use this term.
  • ickybella
    Options

I am so glad to learn that aubergine is eggplant. I've seen a few recipes I wanted to try that called for aubergine. I'd heard the word before but had no idea where to find it! lol

I spent a lot of time googling when I came here. My husband kept mentioning vegetables I'd never heard of. Also, rutabaga = swede. Doesn't swede sound much nicer?
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    one word....
    fanny

Doesn't have the same meaning across the pond.

LOL You beat me to it. I almost had my *kitten* kicked by an entire pub full of Welshmen.
    I told a 9 year old little girl that if she didn't leave me alone I was going to smack her little fanny.

Yeah, they didn't think that was funny and I had no idea why they were so angry.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

In New Englad they are rotaries, or occassionally "traffic circles."
  • BigAardvaark
    Options

Depends where in the UK your accent is from, in the South, it tends to pick up an additional R, said "barstud". In the North, it's said more like "basstud"