Garbage bag while working out? Is this really bad?

Options

Replies

• nyy03
    nyy03 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    ^^^ LOL
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Wrestlers and MMA fighters do this for temporary weight loss the night before or the morning of weigh ins in order to drop 5-10 lobs max and it is extremely unhealthy and not a true weight.

Generally they are sucking down bottles of Gatorade and water the moment they get off the scale and go into the fight or match the next day 5-10 lbs heavier than their fighting weight.

Usually done by a doctor / trainer / fight nutritionist.

It is extremely dangerous and can actually generate issues with oxygenation and others that can lead to strokes, heart attacks and other fun stuff..

It is just another small reason why boxers are mentally retarded by the time they are 40.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Oh My!!! I can't believe someone would do this thinking that it is a healthy way to lose weight faster. Hell I want to lose weight fast and wish there was a lil magic pill. But there isnt. I am not desperate enough to wrap myself in plastic though. SHEESH talk about dangerous and pointless. You just sweat more and it all the water weight you lose comes back when you rehydrate yourself.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    gimp.gif
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Is the garbage bag empty or full?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I did it when I was in competitive weight class sports. It's very bad for you.

All you lose is additional water weight. When you're just trying to cut weight for the next 12 hours just to put it back on immediately after (and there are better ways to do that anyway) there's an argument for it. If you're trying to cut fat and keep it off, there is none.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if it actually helps burn fat faster?

No! Unless perhaps you have a heat stroke, drop into a coma, and are on a feeding tube for a prolonged period of time. You'd probably lose a lot of fat and muscle in that case.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If we all agree that sweating more does not help weight loss, can we all agree that that Hot Yoga (Birkim??) is also no more beneficial than regular yoga?
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to cut a hole in it for your face. You should probably still be able to breathe.

:noway: :noway: :noway:
  • NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    Makes you sweat, nothing more. In hot weather you increase the risk of dehydration and heat stroke.

I also heard that if you wrap your belly in saran wrap while working out it will shrink your tummy faster. Does that still put you at rise for dehydration and heat stroke? Dying to know! Thanks!
  • lesanncan
    lesanncan Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if it actually helps burn fat faster?

Absolutely not.

I would stop this behavior immediately for potential health reasons.
    I would pretty much listen to what this very fit six pack says! lol

I was thinking the same thing!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Being a Mom..and since the OP is at the tender 18 of age.....I'm ordering you to stop right now!! There is no benefit to doing this and YES it is dangerous. Stop.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Hobos' best-kept fitness secret!
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options

I thought that was the trash can diet not trash bag
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I thought that was the trash can diet not trash bag
    They go hand-in-hand. Everybody knows that abs are made in the trash can.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Makes you sweat, nothing more. In hot weather you increase the risk of dehydration and heat stroke.

I also heard that if you wrap your belly in saran wrap while working out it will shrink your tummy faster. Does that still put you at rise for dehydration and heat stroke? Dying to know! Thanks!

Shavon- I can't imagine this is good for you. There is, however, a MUCH SAFER alternative called Zaggora Hotpants. They are workout pants that are designed to make you swear a lot in your midriff, thighs, etc by insulating it and keeping it warm and they make you sweat. I'm not 100% sure if this works or how well it works, but its safer than Saran Wrap because it actually lets your skin breathe. I would keep EXTRA hydrated in any case.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, STOP doing EVERY single thing you see on Dr. Oz!
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Only if you are making a rap video

vma-missy-elliott.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Unless you need to make weight before a bout or some sort of competition where you have to weigh in ...in order to compete...I don't see anything wrong with it...

but to do it that just so you can change the number on the scale to make you happy...NAHHHHHHH
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I heard that wearing adult diapers wile lifting can help you out too. Does anyone know if this is true?