Replies

• kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bunp
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am a practising psychotherapist and I work with a lot of clients suffering from depression. There are several things you can do to help, the most important one being not to judge yourself!

Try these things, they may help;
    1. Check your diet, ensuring that you are including;

* Complex carbohydrates,which will will help enhance the proper absorption of typtophan more effectively. Carbohydrates may also boost serotonin activity in the brain.
    Leading food sources of complex carbohydrates:broccoli, brown rice, potatoes, pasta, whole wheat and grains.

* folic acid
    Because folic acid is often deficient in people with depressive symptoms, getting more of this vitamin through foods may help. The vitamin appears to havethe ability to reduce the high levels of homocysteine associated with depression.
    Leading food sources of folic acid: asparagus,spinach, avocados, Brussels sprouts, Savoy cabbage,
    beans, chick-peas, soybeans, lentils, oranges, peas, turkey, broccoli.

*omega-3 fatty acids
    Certain omega-3 fatty acids may be beneficial for depression.
    Leading food sources of omega-3 fatty acids: salmon*, trout*, tuna*, flax oil, rapeseed oil,pumpkin seeds, soya beans, almonds.

*tryptophan
    Lean protein, containing tryptophan and Lphenylalanine, encourages the brain to produce the endorphins serotonin and noradrenaline.
    Leading food sources of tryptophan: organic lean meat, organic poultry (especially turkey), game
    and free-range eggs. Source http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/publications/feeding-minds/

2. Ensure you exercise regularly - this releases endorphins which are your natural anti-depressants
    3. Consider herbal remedies like St John's Wort
    4. Give yourself a break and if you need some anti-depressants to tied you over, don't punish yourself by resisting
    5. Consider some talking therapy, either Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or Hypno-Psychotherapy - it really can help

I hope this helps - all the best xxxx
  • wender125
    wender125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

It's so great that you opened up a thread about depression and medications! Thank you! I can't really give you advice, but I can share my experiences.

I live with depression and anxiety. I wasn't diagnosed until 8 months after the birth of my first child (i was 29); but all through my life up to that point I knew something was wrong.

Living with a chemical imbalance in the brain isn't much different from someone living with diabetes. The latter wouldn't consider for a moment not taking her insulin.

Meds help me. At one point I did a classic, "I feel so good, I don't need these" and tried to taper off. Things got a little ugly and scary for a bit until I got back up to my dosage (prozac + seroquel plus the occasional ativan for panic attacks).

It's taken me quite awhile to come to terms with the fact that I'll probably always be on meds, but i'm reminded about the quality of life that is so good when I'm stable.

That and exercise! If I don't exercise, my mood takes a dive, even with the meds I'm on. Go figure. HOORAY for natural endorphins!!

You have to do what is right for you; do what it takes to help you to be the best person you can be. You deserve it, rock star!!!! Fabulous job on your journey so far!!!!

~wr ;)
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from depression. I have tried everything, some caused a lot of weight gain also. I am now on Lamectal which has been a godsend. May I ask why you are so anti medication?
  • seehawkmomma
    seehawkmomma Posts: 815
    Options
    Hi

It is taking me a lot of courage to post this so please don't judge me, I am looking for advice not sympathy.

I have suffered from depression in the past and spent many years on anti-depressants. I came off the tablets about three years ago and I felt great. About two years ago my weight loss journey began and for a long time I have felt 'good'.

Recently I have felt myself 'going down' again and I am increasingly feeling like I'm on the way to another 'meltdown'. I saw the Dr yesterday and he wanted me to go back on the tablets and to be signed off work. I said no to both, but promised to go back if I don't feel better soon. I want to beat this and see going back on the tablets as a backwards step. Most people I've spoken to automatically say 'don't go back on the tablets'. I need some impartial advice. What should I do?

I just want to ask if anyone who's been a situation like this can give me any advice or suggest any alternatives to anti-depressants. I am going to try to up my exercise to see if that helps (sometimes a real struggle because I just don't have the energy).

Thank you for not judging me.

S :blushing:

St. Johns Wart is an a alternative to anti-depressants.
    Also, try protein for energy to get to the gym. Exercise causes natural endorphin's to reproduce which causes people to naturally be happy. I would also invest in some therapy. Talking about your issues may help?

Good luck.
  • 1DEH
    1DEH Posts: 23
    Options
    Have you done any counseling? It might be a good idea rather than trying to go it alone. A counselor can also give you a more realistic idea of whether you need to go back on the meds or not. Your doctor saw you for one appointment and I'm sure just talked about symptoms, not your depression itself. A counselor can try to help you get to the root of things so you can learn strategies to "pull yourself out".

You could also look at a more mild anti-depressant. When I was getting divorced, I was really depressed and my MD put me on a low dose of Celexa. It helped even me out and gave me the focus to start getting things done again, but it didn't give me any noticeable side effects and if I accidentally missed a dose, it didn't bother me. Not saying you should take that med in particular, just giving an example of something that might be a compromise.

It's good that you can feel yourself going down hill... some people can't. But just because you can feel it, doesn't mean you have to go it alone. Don't be afraid to reach out and get help. If you can't do a counselor, consider looking for a local support group. Sometimes just talking to other people who've had similar experiences can do a world of good.

Good luck to you.
    Jen

THIS, THIS, THIS.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing a couple of years ago, where I felt great, came of the meds, then had a melt down like no other. I suggest going back on the medicine. It's not a step back at all, it's a chemical imbalance that you have no control over. I had to go back on the medication and was upset at first, but after I started feeling good again I realized that this is the way I have to live my life. I have nothing going on in my life to make me depressed. I have a great marriage, two great kids, a job I enjoy, and really no stress, but still without that medicine I am an emotional wreck. Please don't put yourself down because you suffer depression. It is an illness just as cancer, diabetes, or alcoholism. Good luck and keep your chin up. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Donna
  • pandaJOY7
    pandaJOY7 Posts: 11
    Options
    Been there, and the medications help me, so I stay on them. I don't like them and they can cause weight gain and make it even more challenging to lose weight, but without them I would be a potato on the couch watching TV all day and night.
    Exercise helps once you do it, the biggest hurdle is getting started. I go for 2-3 days and then give myself a non-food reward.
    Eating healthy has also helped, getting in the proper nutrition makes it easier for your brain to make the "happy chemicals".
    Drinking enough water also helps to flush out your system and get rid of things in your body that can effect you.
    I try to limit TV viewing because I find that only makes the depression worse. Instead I do a lot of coloring... something that is mindless but enjoyable and gets me moving more than vegging on the couch. When I feel better, I add in other artistic projects that make me feel good about myself and my abilities.
    The most important thing that I do is to pray and meditate on Bible stories. I find that when I bring my problems to God, it helps me not to be as anxious and depressed, there is hope for life.
    I also go to a therapist and talk to my friends about what is really going on. Sometimes that is a challenge because I want to just pretend like everything is OK, but when it is not, I have a support system in place.
    Hope some of those thoughts help!
    :)
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    Exactly the same as me, I was on them 6 years and came off them 3 years ago.

I went back on them last week, I just couldn't cope any more, I tried to cope for 3 months feeling awful and it just isn't worth it. Being proud doesn't make you feel better and you'll just end up feeling worse and worse.

I personally would suggest you go back on them, if pills help then why not take them, there's no shame in having a chemical inbalance in the brain xxx

Good on you! I don't understand why people are so against taking medication that helps them?
    If you take them and they increase your serotonin levels to a point where you are less anxious/depressed, why stop?
    People with more serious mental issues tend to stop taking their medication when they feel they don't need it anymore and slide back into the same issues to only have to begin retaking their medications at a higher dose.

I think you're doing the right thing. Trying to seek alternative methods to boost yourself back up. But, if it doesn't work, no shame in taking an anti-depressent. They're here to help and your not less of a person for taking them.
    I take 40mg of Celexa o.d. and have since 2003 (dose has changed depending on what's going on in my life).
  • Alice_Liddell
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder, which is slightly different from depression, but here's how I feel about pills:

Take them. There's no shame in it. There's no reason you shouldn't "depend" on them. If you needed heart medicine, would you stop taking it if there was still a problem? Would you take the cast off a broken leg too soon? It's the same thing. It's an illness, and the medication helps with that. Taking off work is your decision. That all depends on how you feel. Of course, taking meds is also your decision, but I feel like that is something else entirely.

What I'm saying is, if there is something out there that will help, why not utilize it? I'd be nowhere but a psychiatric hospital without my medication. I know how crippling depression can be.

I understand the feeling of not wanting meds. It feels like a crutch, like you're not doing any of the work yourself and are just looking for a "band-aid." But you aren't. You're just doing what you can to feel better. Of course, diet helps (as some posters mentioned), and exercise helps, but if those aren't pulling you out of the darkness, there's nothing wrong with finding something that will.

Feel free to add me if you want to talk.
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi, I to suffered years ago & was given the usual anti depressants. At the end of last year I could feel myself slipping back down - badly - so took myself off to the Dr's - My doctor didn't want to put me back on anti-depressants & I had no intention of ever going back down that road again so he advised :

St John's Wort 1 tablet x 3 times a day
    Vitamin D 1 - 3 tables a day ( I only take 1)
    Cardio Exercise

Finger's X, it has worked & is still working really well & the up side is it is non additive & has no side effects, well none that I have experienced anyway !!!

Hope this helps honey
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    I think it is very important for you to have a small project or goal like this one. Do not be discouraged or let anyone discourage you! Concentrate on the nice things life has to offer you. You should give acupunture a try, it actually helps a lot with depression and anxiety. Also, have you tried things like yoga and tai-chi? SMILE!!! :)

I agree with you on this....baby steps. You made the good choice of helping yourself and getting yourself healthy. Take care! :flowerforyou:
  • KL124
    KL124 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Citalopram (I think it's the generic of Celexa). I feel like the benefits of taking the pill greatly outweigh the minor side effects that I may experience (other than more vivid dreams, there's nothing bad). I think it's all a personal preference on what works for you. Also, I would encourage trying a few different medications if there isn't one you feel comfortable on. I was originally on Paxil, and I absolutely hated it. The bottom line is that it's great that you can recognize when you might need a little extra help. Even if you don't choose medication, it's great that you've talked to your doctor. Good luck!
  • zlatkovwechanged
    Options
    Hi,

The first and very positive thing that I have noticed is that you do have a courage. That is excellent.
    The second also important moment is that you said no to anti-depressants. That means that you have decided to go your way, fighting the the root cause of the meltdown, and not the symptoms.
    There are many good advices already replied here on MFP, there are many good advices you can find yourself on the net too. The fight may not be easy, the road may not be always straight, but there are many good people around who are willing to help.

Begin with small steps. Gradually increase goals. You can feel better. You should feel better. If you having problems even with the first steps, what to do, how, when, why, just tell us/me.

Your suggestion is also very very good. Exercise. This will help you a lot. It is incredible how helpful is to walk everyday, 30,40,50 minutes. As much as you like. Exercise=more Endorphins=less stress=more energy=more self-esteem=......

Go for it. You can do it.

And do not forget...a good friend is better than therapy. If you need this kind of friend-therapy, please, just write down what are your feeling.
  • Mandy7698
    Mandy7698 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi

It is taking me a lot of courage to post this so please don't judge me, I am looking for advice not sympathy.

I have suffered from depression in the past and spent many years on anti-depressants. I came off the tablets about three years ago and I felt great. About two years ago my weight loss journey began and for a long time I have felt 'good'.

Recently I have felt myself 'going down' again and I am increasingly feeling like I'm on the way to another 'meltdown'. I saw the Dr yesterday and he wanted me to go back on the tablets and to be signed off work. I said no to both, but promised to go back if I don't feel better soon. I want to beat this and see going back on the tablets as a backwards step. Most people I've spoken to automatically say 'don't go back on the tablets'. I need some impartial advice. What should I do?

I just want to ask if anyone who's been a situation like this can give me any advice or suggest any alternatives to anti-depressants. I am going to try to up my exercise to see if that helps (sometimes a real struggle because I just don't have the energy).

Thank you for not judging me.

S :blushing:

There is no judging! Life has seasons and for now yours isn't doing well. I know from experience with my husband whom is bipolar, he cannot do well without his meds. His doctor explained it to us like this...he has a disease and needs to be on medicine to help him be better just like a person who has cancer or diabetes. He doesn't like having to take all the meds, but he knows he has to to be "normal". You just have to find what is right for you! Hang in there!
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I know someone who is going through something similar. This person told the doctor they wanted to try something natural first and if that didn't work, they would go on the meds. The doctor was very impressed that they didn't want to go on the meds right away. Here is what the doctor suggested. St. John's Wart, Vitamin D, more sunlight, and exercise. If this doesn't help in a month or so, meds will be prescribed. If you don't get some relief with natural means, please don't hesitate to go on the meds. You wouldn't turn down meds for diabetes if you couldn't get your symptoms under control with diet and exercise alone. Depression is a medical condition, and it often requires medical intervention. Best of luck.
  • RUNNER48WH
    RUNNER48WH Posts: 35
    Options
    First off, All the responses by everyone on this post are amazing. It's not easy talking about or admitting we are dealing with anxiety or depression, both things that I have been dealing with since 2011.
    However, I do ask myself why is there such a stigma attached to taking meds to help your mental health.
    I'm taking Crestor for High cholesterol and that coupled with daily exercise and watching my diet....(thanks MFP) have contributed to a healthy cholesterol level. I know I will probably always have to take Cholesterol meds , maybe at lowered dosages but I'm not looking to get off them.
    Same with my depression anxiety meds. I take generic zoloft daily and a generic for xanax( as needed) mostly travel etc....I'm not looking to get off them because they help me and the side effects are minimal.
    I know how I felt the 3 months I was dealing with anxiety and depression....suicidal, no energy, felt like I was in a lonely dark place and a perpetual storm cloud over my head. I had everything to live for.....an amazing wife, 2 amazing daughters in college, great family, great friends, but yet.....daily thoughts of ending my life crept into my head. I did meet with a therapist which helped....and she told me there is no shame in taking meds for my symptoms. same as there is no shame in taking blood pressure meds....etc

Today I feel energized.....I look forward to working out....I golf a few times a week with my buddies...I'm simply living life and I am in control. And if I have to take meds to help my brain feel healthy....then so be it!!

I hope you come out of this like I have....just remember....you are not alone....more people are dealing with anxiety/depression than you and I can ever imagine.

Feel free to reach out to me if you want to discuss.....
    Joe
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I have been through this and I don't blame you for wanting to try to improve with out the meds but just remember, our brain chemistry can go out of wack and there is nothing we can do about it. That's what the medication is for. Unless something negative is impacting your life right now I would say try the medication. If there is something negative impacting your life, do what you can to rectify it and see if that helps.
  • superbabe612
    superbabe612 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, this is my first time on this forum and I felt I had to post. First of all, congratulations on losing so much weight!

I've had depression in the past, and present. My lowest point was almost 2 years ago when I was signed off work and had my anxiety meds doubled. A year later and I started to feel better but my GP didn't want to take me off the tablets too soon; she said I should feel settled for at least 6 months before decreasing my dose. So I'm still on anti-depressants and happily so. If I had a broken leg I wouldn't refuse treatment; to me it's very similar. I see it as a chemical imbalance in the brain that needs medicating to get back onto an even keel so I can function 'normally'.

For the last 3 months I've been exercising and counting my calories thanks to MFP and most of the time I feel so much better in myself but I still have my low moments.

My family doesn't want me to be on tablets permanently but if it makes me feel better, then it's necessary.

Don't give yourself a hard time. Look how far you've come. Think of what else you can achieve if you keep going!
  • lauramonster
    Options
    There is no shame in taking antidepressants. It most definitely isn't a step backward. I've been taking them for years, and they work.