Depression

Options

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't see resuming antidepressants as a backward step. If you had high blood pressure, would you not take medication? No, you would take it, while perhaps trying to change your diet and lifestyle to control the condition without medication in the future if possible.

I would tell the doctor that if there's a choice, you would prefer to stay away from drugs that cause weight gain as a side effect. Some doctors aren't sensitive to their patients' needs. If you're depressed and overweight, all you need is a medication that's going to make you more overweight. Any improvement in mood is likely to be eclipsed by the concern about weight.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I would refuse to take aspirin for a headache someone said why not take something that is going to help you feel better and stop the suffering.

That decision is up to you.

I've been there and tried to cut back and get off anti-depressants and it made it clear that for me the medication is what I need.

Best of luck.

Karen
  • brendakellyknight
    Options
    Hi,
    I am having depression as well. My situation is I was married for 31 years and my husband passed in November of 08. He wad not ill long and passed with congenital heart failure. The second thing was I just lost my son in Aug of last year. He was a great well rounded healthy young man of 34 years of age. A blood clot broke off and he went suddenly. One thing I can suggest is to continueously pray and have a close friends. With both of these I did not use any medication for the depression. Prayer works. Some days are better than others but I still move on. I think also staying busy, dieting and exercise can help.

Peace & Blessings
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am having depression as well. My situation is I was married for 31 years and my husband passed in November of 08. He wad not ill long and passed with congenital heart failure. The second thing was I just lost my son in Aug of last year. He was a great well rounded healthy young man of 34 years of age. A blood clot broke off and he went suddenly. One thing I can suggest is to continueously pray and have a close friends. With both of these I did not use any medication for the depression. Prayer works. Some days are better than others but I still move on. I think also staying busy, dieting and exercise can help.

Peace & Blessings

:sad:

Oh my gosh sweetie. I am so sorry for your loss! Lots of love, and prayers your way!
  • JustaSCgirl
    Options
    Have you tried getting more sunlight? I have heard that getting sun can help with depression as well. Just a thought! :)
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting more sunlight? I have heard that getting sun can help with depression as well. Just a thought! :)

I do actually feel I need some sun. Trouble is the weather is so bad here at the moment. My mum has a sun lamp - maybe I should borrow it?
    Thanks
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Peace & Blessings

So sorry to hear this x
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi

It is taking me a lot of courage to post this so please don't judge me, I am looking for advice not sympathy.

I have suffered from depression in the past and spent many years on anti-depressants. I came off the tablets about three years ago and I felt great. About two years ago my weight loss journey began and for a long time I have felt 'good'.

Recently I have felt myself 'going down' again and I am increasingly feeling like I'm on the way to another 'meltdown'. I saw the Dr yesterday and he wanted me to go back on the tablets and to be signed off work. I said no to both, but promised to go back if I don't feel better soon. I want to beat this and see going back on the tablets as a backwards step. Most people I've spoken to automatically say 'don't go back on the tablets'. I need some impartial advice. What should I do?

I just want to ask if anyone who's been a situation like this can give me any advice or suggest any alternatives to anti-depressants. I am going to try to up my exercise to see if that helps (sometimes a real struggle because I just don't have the energy).

Thank you for not judging me.

S :blushing:

Not judging you, but I too have depression issues, my husband and my 14 yr old son is bipolar. Alot of these illnesses run in the family. Depression is an illness just like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. You need to treat it. My husband did the same thing and went off his meds and done really well for three years. But the pressures of work, home, kids, etc. brought him back down again. I would strongly advise to listen to your doctor. You have to have something to balance the chemicals in your brain that has gotten out of whack. Exercise will help, but only temporarily. Eating healthy does too, but the meds are most needed (acutally a necessity). You want to be happy right? Just do it. If you are determine not too, then take St. John's Wart. Have not tried it myself but I have heard it might help. Hope this helps. Good luck to a healthy and HAPPY future. :-)
  • feysheart2
    feysheart2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Omg this is like reading a page out of my own diary. I have struggled with depression and anxiety since I was eight years old, I am now 28. I was told it would be a forever thing. I do understand completely about the struggle to work out, and much less take care of yourself when you feel this way. I also felt great, then about a week ago started falling apart again. It's humiliating. Especially if it happens very publicly. My friend, I wish I had some amazing advice for you. I actually read this so I would feel not so alone. I hope now you don't either :) As far as the battle with the medication...lots of people will tell you don't take it. I understand why. However, those people typically don't have a clue what battling severe clinical deppression is like. You do what you have to for you. Please know someone understands.
    Bump
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with depression all my life. I am on meds now (they are new ones) and have been most of my life. I CAN REALLY tell when I am out and need them back. Exercise is also great for depression as well as sun (this is according to my doctor as I am not an expert). Personally there is nothing wrong with taking meds for something if you need them..ie high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc. I do not know you or your situation but as for me if I am off my meds I know immediately when I am spiraling down and I go down fast so you have to do what works for you. I also think that if you go exercise you will have more energy the more you do it.

We here on MFP are NOT here to judge but to give support, advice, motivation and encouragement. GOD is the only one who can or who has the right to judge us as a person. I will keep you in my prayers and I hope you truly do find what works for you. You are special and you are unique don't forget that.

Please feel free to come to us again, add me as a friend or just send me a message sometime if you need to vent or anything!!

Hugs to you,
    Bev
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I also have a "mood disorder" (my psychiatrist never said bi-polar, but it's what she meant) and have been on and gotten off medication for it. I would go for weeks being depressed, and then I'd have a week or two where I'd bounce back and forth between being happy and angry. Here's what worked for me:

Birth control - A lot of my issues were caused by hormonal imbalances. If you are a woman, which your profile pic appears to be, you might want to look into this if you haven't already. Even if a hormonal imbalance isn't the root of the problem, balancing out your hormones can go a long way to help.

St. John's Wort - I have been taking this since I got off my meds, and it really helps. The chemicals in St. John's Wort are similar to those in anti-depressants, and they are believed to interact with the brain in a similar way. Thus, it has the effect of improving your mood, without many of the negative side effects of anti-depressants. Just make sure not to take it with anti-depressants, as it can have the effect of an overdose.

Exercise - This has also helped me (though I haven't been able to do much lately since I've had bronchitis for over two months). I did yoga, and not only was it good exercise, but it was also very relaxing and reduced stress. All good things, whether or not you have depression.

Sunlight and Vitamin D - One thing my doctor recommended was getting lot's of sun exposure and vitamin D. Vitamin D improves your mood, so I make sure to get out in the sun every day I can (which causes your body to produce it's own vitamin D) and I take calcium and D supplements. Going along with this, make sure your getting good nutrition in general, since a deficiency in nutrients could negatively affect your health and mental state.

Social interaction - Another one recommended by my doctor. Humans are social creatures. Positive interaction with other people can go a long way to boost your mood. I've noticed that I'm a lot happier when I actually spend time with other people.

Determination - Don't let yourself fall back into the habits of depression. This can be the hardest part. Some days you just have to force yourself to get out of bed and do something. It may suck at first, but over time you'll feel better. Make sure you are active, and not just physically. Don't allow yourself to have long periods of time where you do nothing. Activity can make you feel better about your life and that you're doing something worthwhile.

I would recommend that, unless you know for sure that you have a chemical imbalance, that you do everything you can without meds first. If you've done all you can, and you're still stuck, then talk to your doctor about taking a low dose to help you get past the last hurdle. You can do this! :)
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hello I also suffer with depression on and off. I was previously diagnosed with post natal depression after each one of my children were born but then I noticed that I was starting to go downhill again a few months ago and it clearly wasnt post natal. Ive never had medication but have always opted for counselling instead. My depression is usually hormone related or when I am under stressful situations, I have 3 children so I have lots of stress! lol

I know when I am approaching a dark mood as I will have no interest in exercise and will eat and eat to try and cheer myself up (although it never works!). My partner has told me my whole face completely changes and everything is downturned. During low times I hate myself, feel ugly/bad/fat/horrible person etc, hate feeling like that but it usually only lasts a few days. I generally have a few good days and then 2 or 3 really bad ones, its almost like a cycle.

Ive read a few articles which recommend changing a room around, moving furniture or moving your bed for example, also a change of scene, such as going somewhere completely different. Walking or any form of exercise is also great for depression. The vitamin D thing from the sun is supposed to help too (although I sat in the sun yesterday and today I feel really low and drained!).

One of my closest friends has bi polar and the medication made her gain huge amounts of weight, although coming off her medication resulted in her being sectioned as her behaviour changed so dramatically, so if you are on medication be really careful about stopping it. Good luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi

It is taking me a lot of courage to post this so please don't judge me, I am looking for advice not sympathy.

I have suffered from depression in the past and spent many years on anti-depressants. I came off the tablets about three years ago and I felt great. About two years ago my weight loss journey began and for a long time I have felt 'good'.

Recently I have felt myself 'going down' again and I am increasingly feeling like I'm on the way to another 'meltdown'. I saw the Dr yesterday and he wanted me to go back on the tablets and to be signed off work. I said no to both, but promised to go back if I don't feel better soon. I want to beat this and see going back on the tablets as a backwards step. Most people I've spoken to automatically say 'don't go back on the tablets'. I need some impartial advice. What should I do?

I just want to ask if anyone who's been a situation like this can give me any advice or suggest any alternatives to anti-depressants. I am going to try to up my exercise to see if that helps (sometimes a real struggle because I just don't have the energy).

Thank you for not judging me.

S :blushing:

Been there. Here's what I found helps:

Find something that makes working out fun. I found that just going to the gym bores the hell out of me, so I took up martial arts. Nothing helps me better than beating stuff up. :) Whatever you choose, it should be something you look forward to, and something that makes you feel better even when you have to drag yourself there. When you know you'll feel better afterwards, it's easier to talk yourself into going. I noticed that my mood literally did a 180 the very first class I took. Listen to yourself and see if you can get an idea of what you really want to do, then make that happen.

Consider a job change. This may or may not be necessary, but take a good look at your job situation. Is it draining your energy? Is it stressing you out? If it's been that way for more than a month, it may be time to go elsewhere if at all possible. Sometimes, an environment is just poison to you, and for the sake of your health, you need to get out of it.

Meditate. I don't think I need to go into the benefits of meditation.

Don't be afraid to take the meds. Depression is an illness, just like anything else. Just like any other illness, something went "wrong" somewhere and it may be beyond your body's ability to fix it. Just like you take antibiotics if you get a bad infection that you can't kick, or you take something for a headache or allergy medicine, you should not rule out taking medicine for your depression. If nothing else, take them to get them out of the darkest part and to get you going again. Once you've bootstrapped the rest of your life, you can work with your doctor to see if you can maintain that over the long term without meds. You may be able to, you may not, but you should never be ashamed to get a little medical help for it.

Build a support network. Places like MFP and Fitocracy have some awesome support groups for people with depression who want to get healthier. Join them and let them help you. Get the support from your loved ones and remember that they're there to help you, too.

See a therapist. Like the meds, sometimes you just need to get professional help. That's nothing to be ashamed of. Therapists are great, because they are someone you can vent to and talk with that you don't have a conflicting relationship with, so you don't have that fear of "I need to deal with the person in X setting every day," which often makes it hard to open up to loved ones.

Do affirmation exercises. When you get up in the morning, tell yourself "today, I'm going to feel good!" and whatnot, and do what you can to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's amazing what a little positive thinking can do. :)

Get more sun. Seriously, sunlight does wonders for depression (yay, Vitamin D!). When it's nice out, go for a walk. If you can, see about getting an office or desk by a window at work. Eat your meals outside. In the winter, or if you live in an area that doesn't get much sun, get a light box. Your doctor may be able to prescribe you one, so your insurance may cover it. Barring that, try Vitamin D supplements, or talk to your doctor about other vitamins/supplements that may be able to help.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    WOW!

What a response. Thank you everyone so, so much for all your messages and suggestions.

I may have come across anti medication - I'm not really and I have even had conversations with friends where I have encouraged them to consider the need for medication. I just want to try to overcome this myself first. If it doesn't work I will glady take the help from medication.

Reading your posts has given me lots to think about and lots to try out. I will be visiting the health food shop very soon and have already done 20 mins on the cross trainer today. A start in the right direction.

I have been humbled by the messagesd of support from everyone. It's so good to know I'm not alone - that in itself gives me a boost.

My doctor suggested I book to see the counsellor at the surgery. I tried to get an appointment but was told there are none. I think I will be calling them back later to insist I get one. You've helped me to do that!!

Thank you again all of you - you're great.

S x

PS I have two cats and two rabbits so I don't think a dog would be a good idea, but I take on board the suggestion and will be cuddling them all a bit more.

You ARE NOT alone and you are very welcome. I know in my heart that all of us truly want to help you get through this!!!!! :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    :heart: Good job for having the courage to seek help from your dr and then here. I suffer from Bipolar disorder(along with a few other things like anxiety, PTSD, etc) so I do understand this. And oddly enought I started back on my anti-depressat yesterday along with my mood stabalizer. I completely can relate to wear you are coming from. But sweetie, I know you won't like this answer---even thoug you up your exercise, you still have a chemical imbalence going on. You need the antidepressant right now as well. I know it sux, TRUST ME I know I take an array for my bipolar and anxiety...but somethings you CANNOT control. You are not weak or any less for taking the medication right now....work to get better and when you are in the right place you can come off of it when the time is right. But don't test depression-it's a scary and dangerous thing. Rememeber this is just temporary...

I am here for you, feel free to contact me if you need anything...I mean it
  • SportyShorty74
    SportyShorty74 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear you are finding things tough. I've had depression / stress / anxiety for a long while (15yrs+) and am not good at dealing with situations terribly well.

I DO find meds to work for me. It took a few really bad experiences to find meds which worked for me - I'm sure you will too. Right now, I am on meds, but I am able to control my dosage according to how I feel - and more importantly how those around me notice I'm doing.

Try to focus on doing one thing per day which makes you happier. Depending on how low I feel, this can be anything from walking around my garden, to completing a tough exercise schedule.

I think you will realise from this community, that you are not alone. There are thousands of us who struggle on a daily or hourly basis. My top tips are 1. Be glad you are free; 2. Recognise the happiness to be gained from simple things like a nice shower, a pretty plant, your pet cat purring.... etc. 3. Appreciate your "you time"

I honestly believe that without those 3 coping strategies I would have committed suicide by now. Believe me on this - I have tried a few times. So they have helped me and I hope they help you too.

With my Appreciate your "You Time" tip, I do a lot of long distance training - and I love every minute of it. I am now an Ironman triathlete and can honestly say that I truly value my time training by myself.

Be open, be honest and allow yourself to be loved for who you are.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety pretty bad. It has caused me to not be able to hold a "normal" job.

I recently went through a small melt down and had to make myself go back to the Dr. She put me on Welbutrin (per my request). We chose that one because it also substitutes as a hunger suppressant. Which I am all for :)

She also put me on Vistaril for the anxiety.

Something I had to come to terms with in my own case, and it sounds like you are dealing with the same issue... having to take medication for this is not a step backward. It is the same as high blood pressure or diabetes. It doesn't mean you, as a human are being are weak, it means your body has an illness that it cannot fix on its own. Also, this is like asthma or allergies. You try to avoid the situations that trigger the episodes. If your work is causing you to fall deeper... it may be a trigger.

Other things that help with depression and anxiety that you could try are:
    - Green Tea
    - Vitamin D
    - Vitamin C
    - Going outside as often as you can
    - Water
    - NO soda
    - Cut down on sugar
    - Cut down on gluten such as wheat breads, pastas, etc.

I, personally, had to stop watching the news. All the republican tea party comments about those of us with mental illnesses was actually adding to my anxiety.

Good luck!
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've been there too. My first question is, is it an MD or a pshychiatrist suggesting the meds? Have you had blood tests to rule out vitamin deficiencies? Was the reason for your depression ever found? Is it a chemical imbalance? Are you in active therapy sessions? Sometimes our bodies don't do what they're supposed to. You might not be able to change it. But if you feel like you're overweight and you're too tired to exercise, then you're body is probably not able to do what it's supposed to do.

My advice would be to look for other causes before taking a pill you don't want to take. But there's nothing wrong with taking a pilll long enough to find a different answer. Letting yourself become more depressed will make it harder to pull yourself out of it.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk.

I'm here for you. :):flowerforyou:
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    I've gone back on my pills recently.

It was a hard decision, and I tried many things before coming to it: sunlight therapy, Vitamin D, exercise, supplements from my naturopathic doctor, food changes, no caffeine... a few made small changes, but in the end, it was too much for me.

I'm feeling for normal, for lack of a better word, now and can see how bad things had gotten.

(I had gradually weaned off of them nearly 2 years ago, under direction of my doctor.)

It's a hard choice. And a personal one. I still wish I hadn't - wanted to beat in on my own, you know? But I had to admit I couldn't. That was and still is the hardest part. That I needed help.
  • britaut2
    britaut2 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi, I take the Effexor 150mg too. I tried going off, but the symptoms were just too much for me to function. I hate having to depend on meds, but I work and have a family and I can't be crying all the time. I know some people have lossed weight on this med, but my weight just seems to stay. I started off with Zoloft and that blew me up!