Left the U.S. for a foreign country?

Options

Replies

• Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I would move to the Netherlands I was born in Heerlen, The Netherlands...and I believe I still have dual citizenship...as far as work..I will open a "COFFEE SHOP if you ya know what I mean" and get paid!
  • marianeo
    marianeo Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Not the US, but left the UK for South Africa
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    If I thought I could, I'd leave for Belize and run a cruise ship tour operation.
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I wish. My dream is to move to the Netherlands or one of the Nordic countries...but they'd never let me in to stay.

Actually, the nordic countries let everyone in. Lol.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I will fight for everything this country has to offer and have never considered abandoning it for another counrty.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I will fight for everything this country has to offer and have never considered abandoning it for another counrty.

Moving because you have more opportunities in another country is hardly "abandoning" the country. Plus, some people like to experience what the rest of the world has to offer sometimes.
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Germany 2x (Rotheburg ob der Tauber and Dresden) studying German. I spent 6 months in Prague getting my TEFL certificate and looking for work. Then I spent 2 years in Beijing teaching English.

Each country was fantastic in their own ways, and I loved being there.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I would move to denmark and work in the red light district. I would then after years of trials and tribulations write a book about being a call girl, make millions, then reside in the turks and caicos
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Haha... be careful though with the thoughts of 'temporarily' going somewhere.

I left Germany to go live in Ireland for 6 months to improve my English. That's 12 years, a husband, a house and 4 kids later... and I'm still in Ireland :laugh:
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    So has everyone so far had a job lined up before they left? Did anybody go and wing it?
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Just as a child, my father was in the military and so I ended up spending most of my childhood in Scotland and Guantanamo Bay. I get itchy feet sometimes, and the idea of living in one town for more than 5 years makes my skin crawl, but I'm trying to do it for my kids.
    Given the opportunity, I would move out of the country. But hey, I'd move out of the state, just as long as it meant a new adventure.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    So has everyone so far had a job lined up before they left? Did anybody go and wing it?

did anyone really answer your question? :laugh:
  • jillomahony
    jillomahony Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I left the US after undergrad to work as a Nanny in Zurich. I was supposed to go back after a year and go to law school.....that was 2003. I've never gone back, but since then I've lived a few years in Geneva, did a masters in England, lived in Australia, Ireland and now have been in Belgium for 2.5 years. I can't imagine living in the US ever again. I've always managed to find work from a Nanny gig, tutoring, office work and now teaching. the two worst things about Belgium are the constant rain and the highest tax burden.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I had a job before I moved. Back then though, that wasn't a necessity as it was an employees market so to speak :) Probably a touch different these days!! Oh, and my job came with built-in accommodation, another plus!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

It really depends on where you go. Each country has its own requirements for living there, and some require you to have employment lined up in advance. You need to decide where you want to go and work from there.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

did anyone really answer your question? :laugh:

No, sir. Not a one so far, I don't think, lol.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Went to China for six months. Taught English. Hated it. Came back.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Of course, for some of us, the US *is* a foreign country.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Currently, I have a job abroad that was lined up long before I left (I'm an English teacher with the Peace Corps in Romania) but when I was 19, I decided I NEEDED to live abroad for a summer. I was hoping for a job in Brazil but it fell through right before the summer, in May I think. A few weeks later, I changed my mind to Turkey, found a job in about a week and a half, and left about 2 weeks later. Best summer of my life :smile:
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    From Colorado but live in England...my story...well let's just say it's one for Jerry Springer!!!!!