yoga

Options
124»

Replies

• ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I found yoga is too strenuous on the knees for me. Pilates, however, has a lot of the benefits from yoga, and most beginners, intermediate pilates videos I've done don't stress the knees. Great for toning, too.

It has been a while since I have done it, but as soon as the chiro gives me clearance, I'm back on board. Can't wait to get started!
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I do Bikram's Yoga 3x a week...absolutely LOVE it!!!! You sweat, burn mad calories, rid toxins, and tone!!! Got to luv it!
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yoga offers little to no fitness value in in terms of cardiovascular work and building muscles.
    What it does help with is things like balance, stretching, and micro muscle control.

You are far better off spending your time doing an hour of cardio/weights than an hour of yoga.
  • stunningnickel
    Options
    I found it was a good way for me to ease back into exercising.. same with Tai Chi and Pilates..
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yoga
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just rented a yoga for beginners from the library! :)
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I love yoga, I do an hour session at least once a week.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Vinyasa every Saturday morning and advanced Hatha every Sunday morning.
  • Brandei
    Brandei Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do hot yoga power sculpt or P90X classic yoga once a week.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I enjoy yoga and it works well with my Karate practice since all martial art originally came through yoga. When Taishi Daruma crossed the Himalayas into China and founded the shaolin temple, it was through the practice of yoga that the monks gained the strength to study martial art. The Sanchin kata has many elements of yoga incorporated in it.
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I started doing yoga same time i started vegetarian diet 4/22/12 :) I likes it so far both of em
  • maryrr88
    maryrr88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My fiance & I just bought groupons for 20 classes of yoga at a studio not too far away, and I can't wait to start! The studio does mostly vinyasa classes but I think my first class will be a beginner one just to get the feel before I plunge into the regular classes. :) I'm planning on making the classes a part of my Saturday routine, since I currently don't exercise on Saturdays.
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bikram yoga has changed my life! Three 90 minute sessions a week.
  • darbylicious
    Options
    Just started yoga this week as a supplement to walking every day and strength training 1x/week. I took an "All Levels" class at the Y and was so amazingly sore after the 1st day. I wore my HRM just to see my calorie burn, and it was around 400 something for 75 minutes. And I was sweating buckets!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    There's a yoga group that anyone is free to join:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group

I've practiced for 12 years, taught for about 5. I do Iyengar yoga and can't wait to go to a workshop this weekend.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for just over a year and haven't done much else in that time. It's been great for my flexibility and I've had some very definite muscle gains since I started. My CV fitness is holding up, but I know it wouldn't hurt me to do a little more on this front.
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do yoga in the mornings and when ever I need to focus my mind. For me yoga is about strengh and stress relief more then exercise its normal every day thing built into my day. Bonus calories burned :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I wish I had the time and money to enroll in a class right now, since I found I did yoga more when I had a class to keep me accountable. It really influenced a lot of how I view health and fitness. It taught me to listen to my body, which means I'm not going to run a 5k in under 30 minutes every time and that's okay. It taught me to balance my body, meaning if I work my abs, I should also stretch them and work my back. It also did wonders for my stress level!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love yoga! I love seeing how I change and develop and improve!! I can now touch my forhead to my knee in backstreatch and I can lift myself up and get my knees to my ears in the plow!! I love it!! I have put some of the streaches into my normal gym routine as nothing helps you preparer to work as well as yoga does!!

One day I will be able to lift up more than in inch and do the wheel pose as well!! I can't wait!