Preparing for the Zombie Apocolypse

Options

Replies

• Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    We have an old root cellar, not what i would say Stocked, but we could make do. Living in Iowa we always have the threat of tornadoes and blizzards/ ice storms ( and presidential candidates)

Only place where we are slacking is in the gun/ammo part... we have a BB gun. :)

so... for a "gun virgin", what would you zombie pros suggest!?

Remington 870 MCS 12 gauge

Remington_870MCS.jpg
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Join me. I can arm most of you...temporarily of course lol
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    We have an old root cellar, not what i would say Stocked, but we could make do. Living in Iowa we always have the threat of tornadoes and blizzards/ ice storms ( and presidential candidates)

Only place where we are slacking is in the gun/ammo part... we have a BB gun. :)

Remington_870MCS.jpg

Can my kids & I take refuge with you? You're good with weapons & we're good at tripping other people...
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Remington_870MCS.jpg

well... that is pretty!
  • Martin_Kaine
    Options
    I know The Walking Dead makes a crossbow look like a great weapon for Zombie survival, but in reality it's far from it.

1. You have limited ammo, and after every shot, you have to recover your bolt (arrow), assuming it didn't shatter or get bent from the shot.
    2. Takes 2 arms and a leg to reload.
    3. Reloading is time consuming, and awkward.
    4. Fairly useless in close quarters
    5. Lethal head shots are hard to achieve without sufficient practice.
    6. Anything mechanical can, and will, fail you when you need it most. A simply cut of the string, and it's nothing more than a paperweight.
    7. Moving targets are incredibly hard to take down in one shot.
    8. You're screwed if you have 2 or more zombies coming at your quickly.
    9. Cumbersome for traveling with, would get hung up on everything you're trying to sneak through.
    10. You always need a clear shot for accuracy. Even a tree twig will deflect your shot.

My main weapon would be a machete-type tool, with a hi-capacity 12 gauge pump as my emergency back-up, and then rely on stealth to avoid having to use either of them.

I agree. A X-bow would only be good if the zombie is standing in front of a tree and a friend was filming you. Then you could nail his head to a tree and put it on Youtube. Otherwise I'd like a katana or if the zombie flow was slow, a baseball bat for the dramatic splatter effect. Maybe a chainsaw on a stick. No, a pole with a chainsaw on each end like that double ended light saber that the sith apprentice had except instead of light saber blades, it's chainsaws. Yea :)

To hell with stealth. I want the zombies to see me. I want to become like a black hole of zombie death, swarms of zombies orbiting closer and closer until, splat, slice, rip, hack, slash, poof.
  • Trail_Addict
    Options

Remington_870MCS.jpg

Can my kids & I take refuge with you? You're good with weapons & we're good at tripping other people...

LOL.... ok, but you'll have to earn your keep. :wink:
  • Trail_Addict
    Options
    I know The Walking Dead makes a crossbow look like a great weapon for Zombie survival, but in reality it's far from it.

1. You have limited ammo, and after every shot, you have to recover your bolt (arrow), assuming it didn't shatter or get bent from the shot.
    6. Anything mechanical can, and will, fail you when you need it most. A simply cut of the string, and it's nothing more than a paperweight.
    9. Cumbersome for traveling with, would get hung up on everything you're trying to sneak through.
    10. You always need a clear shot for accuracy. Even a tree twig will deflect your shot.

My main weapon would be a machete-type tool, with a hi-capacity 12 gauge pump as my emergency back-up, and then rely on stealth to avoid having to use either of them.

I agree. A X-bow would only be good if the zombie is standing in front of a tree and a friend was filming you. Then you could nail his head to a tree and put it on Youtube. Otherwise I'd like a katana or if the zombie flow was slow, a baseball bat for the dramatic splatter effect. Maybe a chainsaw on a stick. No, a pole with a chainsaw on each end like that double ended light saber that the sith apprentice had except instead of light saber blades, it's chainsaws. Yea :)

To hell with stealth. I want the zombies to see me. I want to become like a black hole of zombie death, swarms of zombies orbiting closer and closer until, splat, slice, rip, hack, slash, poof.

I was gonna say katana, but figured most people don't know what that is... of course, a chainsaw on a stick is a close 2nd. LMAO.
  • LisaF1163
    LisaF1163 Posts: 141
    Options

Quit it, quit it! You're ruining my Daryl fantasies!

(My boyfriend recently got me completely hooked with a season 1 marathon. We need to get season 2 on DVD so I can catch up - any idea when that's coming out?)
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    No problem with the zombies....cut their arms off and put collars and chains on them!

Michonne rocks! (you do have to take the lower jaw too, btw) But I think I'll just use my katana, cut off the heads, and be done with it. Who wants to pull 'em around on chains and listen to that stupid zombie moaning all the time?
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    LOL.... ok, but you'll have to earn your keep. :wink:

No problem :bigsmile:

I can round up some Wal-martians from Ferntucky as zombie fodder as well :bigsmile:
  • lesanncan
    lesanncan Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have about 15 boxes of instant grits... they just stock piled so if zombies come i will be eating grits!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I've already got my Katana and the knowledge of how to use it. My best friend has a pump action shotgun. Now that the kids are a little older I can ezpand from just collecting swords to collecting guns..... My only issue is getting the hell out of south florida. This place will stink really quick between half eaten bodies humidity and rain
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Remington_870MCS.jpg

Not enough. You need a triple access cellar to ensure you have the means for escape...additional firepower, in my personal readiness -

Barret_50cal__Sniper_Rifle_by_lucariofan666.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8KO-cw7n-48gvNM7L0Cih6FCC1NeCHDIiEZuRkvE1XWArDtfGfw
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6nD4tEvwpX6lIlqiRKGtBYusWX_ByWI8lsz_5zjmuueFOQeWb
    glock-23.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS53oZmql7mDITCELY5YyXM0lqDOoHkRiM8xaNPLz04XQ-Fx7pI
  • Trail_Addict
    Options

Not enough. You need a triple access cellar to ensure you have the means for escape...additional firepower, in my personal readiness -

Barret_50cal__Sniper_Rifle_by_lucariofan666.jpg

For when you gotta knock them Zombies down at 1.5 miles away. LOL
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Gerber Gear: Popular amoung US military and they provide gear for The Walking Dead.

gerber_gator_walking_dead_machete_pro_540.jpg
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Remington_870MCS.jpg

well... that is pretty!

I would think something a little more compact like a Winchester defender
    634594059257632097axjff4ip.jpg

Additionally being in Iowa I know your a little better off because you can quickly get out of most urban areas into a rural area wear the population is much lower and the infection will be less likely spread.

My parental units have been stockpiling canned goods on their rural farm for several years. We have planned out the best on foot route avoiding interstates and main roadways to make the 100 mile trip Light weight weapons will ultimately make that trip easier. survival training and cardio have been high priority.

These Highpoint weapons are cheap to purchase and are relatively decent weapons . they are lightweight and easy to shoot and load. Less kick then a shotgun so you can pass them of to an 8 year old to carry or fire if need be.
    40fgflLG.gif
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have a river in my backyard for water along with a 500 gal tank of drinking water. Random stockpiles of canned and bucketed food. The ever trusty 12 gauge along with various and random other guns including several rifles. And best of all, I don't live in the city.

Now for zombies I'm always concerned about splatter. Since supposedly the blood carries the zombie making stuff wouldn't splatter make you become one? Obviously, the weapon of choice would be something that you didn't have to reload but then swords, bats etc put you in splatter range. I would think you would at least need a full face shield like the riot cops use and some kind of body armor.
  • whiplashpcw
    whiplashpcw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a river in my backyard for water along with a 500 gal tank of drinking water. Random stockpiles of canned and bucketed food. The ever trusty 12 gauge along with various and random other guns including several rifles. And best of all, I don't live in the city.

Now for zombies I'm always concerned about splatter. Since supposedly the blood carries the zombie making stuff wouldn't splatter make you become one? Obviously, the weapon of choice would be something that you didn't have to reload but then swords, bats etc put you in splatter range. I would think you would at least need a full face shield like the riot cops use and some kind of body armor.

I'm heading to your house :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I also like this little beauty It can be used for a lot of things. Not as light as a machete but multiple uses and they have a new cousin that I like as well

7246754.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKt4y32xnrxk0OrLT2XC9_XHFKpm8gWPi63p8m1qVSSw2EMc8k5867G6Xccg
  • Trail_Addict
    Options
    I also like this little beauty It can be used for a lot of things. Not as light as a machete but multiple uses and they have a new cousin that I like as well

7246754.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKt4y32xnrxk0OrLT2XC9_XHFKpm8gWPi63p8m1qVSSw2EMc8k5867G6Xccg

I've got the F.U.B.A.R. tool, but that second one looks pretty badass!