Replies

• mbvan
    mbvan Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you
  • ucsneakerz
    ucsneakerz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I followed all of your steps but it has nothing about exercise... just tells me I should eat 1732 calories a day based on my current weight and my goal weight...

I have my goals set at 1200, I lost 8 pounds in the first 2 weeks and have hit a wall and haven't lost this week at all. I upped my exercise calorie burn off goal to 500 and I'm keeping my calorie goal at 1200 and I'm hoping that works.... any other suggestions?
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I followed all of your steps but it has nothing about exercise... just tells me I should eat 1732 calories a day based on my current weight and my goal weight...

What activity level did you pull that from?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

You should account for your exercise in your activity level, and then just do what you're expecting to do.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Do me a favor and look at the bottom of my post here. See that? Yep, guess what? I eat more than 1200 calories a day.

and I eat less than 1200, ditto. But I am starting from a radically different place, so your context is different.

Eating less will lose fast, the only downfall is you lose a lot more muscle mass that route. You also risk having to drop your cals more often, and you have to be more disciplined once you stop cutting or you'll rebound easier.
  • chrisb75
    Options

You should account for your exercise in your activity level, and then just do what you're expecting to do.

Another important point. Don't eat back exercise calories if you are doing this method. They are already included in your TDEE
  • mtaylor1980
    mtaylor1980 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!!
    Hi! Hello there. Do me a favor and look at the bottom of my post here. See that? Yep, guess what? I eat more than 1200 calories a day. Yep, it works. Thank you for your time.
  • ucsneakerz
    Options
    Sedentary.

Though I do work out...

Check above for my details, I edited my post.
  • chrisb75
    Options
    Sedentary.

Though I do work out...

Check above for my details, I edited my post.

If you work out you should set your goal calories between lightly and moderately active. Then don't eat exercise calories back.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You're male so your intake is dangerously low.

No it isn't. How would you know, Mr Self Appointed.

I have a nutritionally complete diet, supplementing with Vit D until the **** sun finally decides to come out.

There isn't one size that fits everyone, if I don't want to flog away at exercise and choose to restrict calories I eat that's a valid choice. A deficit is a deficit at the end of the day. It may not fit with something you dreamt up, but I'm sure we'll all get over that.

If I thought you had looked at all my posts I would take your other comment seriously. I may be on a different soapbox to the OP but we're all on soapboxes. Other opinions are available.
  • ucsneakerz
    Options

Another important point. Don't eat back exercise calories if you are doing this method. They are already included in your TDEE

Ah! Thats what I was missing... not eating back... 1700 makes sense if I'm burning off 500. It doesn't make sense if its saying eat 1700, burn off 500, and then eat 500 more. Correct?
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    Thank you for your post, and please ignore people that choose to be absolutely obnoxious!! I was at 1200 calories and wasn't losing a single pound, increased them, and ate back some of my exercise calories, and BAM am suddenly 1 pound away from my goal weight!
  • chrisb75
    Options
    Ah! Thats what I was missing... not eating back... 1700 makes sense if I'm burning off 500. It doesn't make sense if its saying eat 1700, burn off 500, and then eat 500 more. Correct?

Correct. But if you are burning 500 calories a day in exercise and your BMR is 1400, you should be eating more than 1700 calories
  • mistylee0104
    mistylee0104 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Lift something heavy 3 days a week and walk five days a week.

so you prescription for someone exercising and not losing weight is.... exercise !

( beats typing "Bump" )

It is obvious that there is something wrong with the diet. Yes exercise, because if you have more muscles, your metabolism is faster. Also, it could be that they are not losing on scale, but shedding inches, because muscle is heavier and smaller in size. It is also healthy for your lungs and heart and overall well being. So YES, DONT STOP EXERCISE
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    [[/quote]
    You're male so your intake is dangerously low. Your 'advice' is always confrontational and obnoxious and largely wrong. Please stop turning every thread you happen across into your personal soapbox.
    [/quote]

^^^THIS

There's someone like this on every thread it seems. Often the same two or three people.
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

I have a nutritionally complete diet, supplementing with Vit D until the **** sun finally decides to come out.

There isn't one size that fits everyone, if I don't want to flog away at exercise and choose to restrict calories I eat that's a valid choice. A deficit is a deficit at the end of the day. It may not fit with something you dreamt up, but I'm sure we'll all get over that.

If I thought you had looked at all my posts I would take your other comment seriously. I may be on a different soapbox to the OP but we're all on soapboxes. Other opinions are available.

Perhaps, but going strictly deficit versus some kind of strength-training you'll likely be losing muscle mass as well . . . and eventhough, yes, everyone is entitled to express their opinions, it doesn't change the fact that yours seem to be rude and "confrontational".
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I took a wild stab at your stats so correct me if I'm way off, but you're a 51 year old male and I guessed your weight at 150lbs and 5'10".

As a sedentary individual, your daily requirement for maintenance is approximately 1852. That is of course, unless you have righteously ruined your metabolism with extreme dieting for an extended period of time. Please stop trying to convince everyone else to do exactly that.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. Its not that hard. Go to fat2fitradio.com:
    1) Run the Military Body Fat calculator
    2) Run the goal weight calculator using the BF% from above
    3) Run the BMR Calculator and eat at the proper TDEE for your GOAL weight.
    4) Lift something heavy 3 days a week and walk five days a week.

1. 65.7%
    2. The goal weight which asks for my goal BF%? If so, then 35% BF or 140#.
    3. Which formulae? 1911 with H-B or 1293 with K-M? Which activity level for me? I walk 5 days and lift 2. Is that light, moderate, or very active? It seems F2F is using H-B because I get a big red message that my GW is lower than my projected BMR, so I'm either moderate (2113) or very active (2351).

If I go with the TDEE - 20% = net cals to eat, then it's either 1691 or 1881.