What is "iifting heavy"?

Options

Replies

• gacowboy
    gacowboy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers guys, with your knowledge I think I can improve my work outs to burn more calories until I can get to the point of running again. Haven't been on MFP long but greatly enjoy learning from all you folks. Thanks again.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would also add that anyone who wants to learn how to lift heavy should just log off MFP, go to Amazon, and buy "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

There endeth the lesson.

I agree Starting Strength is THE book for learning proper lifting technique for the major lifts. As a trainer in training, I used it as a manual for coaching clients in the squat and deadlift. I would recommend it as well. It has some basic programming information for getting started.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A quick question for the trainers. Where does strength training end and hypertrophy begin? I always thought at about 6 reps. Above that is "body building" and below that is strength training or lifting heavy. Is my understanding accurate?
    PS: Again I might be off but I always thought lifting heavy = strength training. Correct or no?
  • kazzari
    Options
    A quick question for the trainers. Where does strength training end and hypertrophy begin? I always thought at about 6 reps. Above that is "body building" and below that is strength training or lifting heavy. Is my understanding accurate?
    PS: Again I might be off but I always thought lifting heavy = strength training. Correct or no?

That's basically correct, although I think there is some overlap. Like 3 -8 reps for strength, 8-12 for hypertrophy. For a pure strength goal you would stay in the lower reps for deadlifts and squats and a bit higher for assistance type exercises. It kind of drives me crazy when I hear that lifting in the 8 - 12 range builds size but won't get you stronger. Of course, if your muscles are challenged they will get stronger, just not maximally strong and the thing is big muscles aren't as strong as they look. Much cooler I think to be tight and compact and stronger than you look than the reverse.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Rep 1 - Okay, easy enough
    Rep 2 - This is actually pretty heavy
    Rep 3 - Wow, I can feel it
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!
    Rep 5 - NRGNRGANNAGNNHH!!

I consider lifting heavy this^^^ but for me those 5 reps come after I have done 12, 10, 8, and then the 5. Or depending on the muscle group: 15,12,10 or 20,15,10. I start out a little light (relatively speaking) for the first set and increase the weight on each set afterwords. By the end I am doing the NRGNAGNHAGHAGNHGA!!!!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!

^^^^ This is what lifting heavy is!
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this exact same thing as well.
    Someone once told me that in some occasions it's better to lift not-so-heavy and go for more reps (like 15).

Is this accurate at all, and if so, when are these certain occasions? That statement made me very confused, especially since I've just started lifting.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

That's basically correct, although I think there is some overlap. Like 3 -8 reps for strength, 8-12 for hypertrophy. For a pure strength goal you would stay in the lower reps for deadlifts and squats and a bit higher for assistance type exercises. It kind of drives me crazy when I hear that lifting in the 8 - 12 range builds size but won't get you stronger. Of course, if your muscles are challenged they will get stronger, just not maximally strong and the thing is big muscles aren't as strong as they look. Much cooler I think to be tight and compact and stronger than you look than the reverse.
    I always found this to be interesting. Many "body-builders" or the duck walkers, aren't necessarily strong. Watching the men at my gym the last few months, the strongest guy is tall and quite lean looking. He's lifting double what the "big" guys do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gujO4xYSAdo&feature=endscreen&NR=1 Now this girl is lifting crazy heavy and you can't call her "big"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzZ-7YRqiww&feature=related She's pretty small too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cne4DK3WdNQ now this guy does too many reps at his body weight, so he should go way heavier. Not a big guy either.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!

This is me with an e-z curl bar with 2.5 pounds on each end! :laugh: I just started trying a little weight training at home on Thursday. I can't believe what a weakling I am. :embarassed: It can only get better, right?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Sort of not accurate advice here. I stay in the range of 8-10 reps. If I hit more than 10, I add weight. It's simple. You want the last 2 or 3 to be really difficult without compromising your form at all. No swinging around and flailing and twisting, and NO HOLDING YOUR BREATH. Lift until it hurts, then do 2 or 3 more. If you don't push, you'll never gets results. You want to feel the burn and work through it.

What's not accurate about the posts? Just curious.

You do have a good addition here re keeping form and the breathing.

Everyone saying 5 or 6. You can lift heavy and hit 8 to 10. Seems a little like bro-science when we start talking about lifting heavy. Maybe it's just people make matter-of-fact comments, and I know for a fact, they aren't true. LOL. So, whateves. Just trying to keep it real and stay away from the bro stuff. You can lift heavy and do 15 reps. The idea is the the last couple hurt bad.

But, typically, I see ladies using 5lbs because they don't want to "bulk up" and do 10 curls with them. LOL. My 7-year old daughter can do that. Ha!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this exact same thing as well.
    Someone once told me that in some occasions it's better to lift not-so-heavy and go for more reps (like 15).

Is this accurate at all, and if so, when are these certain occasions? That statement made me very confused, especially since I've just started lifting.

Awhile back in Men's Health they proposed once every week or two you lift half of your 1 rep max for twice as many reps(so basically 15-20) so you increase your mitochondria (The stuff that produces/converts energy).
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If Men's Health recommends it, it's almost always a bad idea.

@neverstray: IMO, if you CAN do it 8-10 times, you should be lifting more. The best way to challenge yourself to be stronger is to lift the heaviest things you can. YMMV, of course.
  • kazzari
    Options
    Sort of not accurate advice here. I stay in the range of 8-10 reps. If I hit more than 10, I add weight. It's simple. You want the last 2 or 3 to be really difficult without compromising your form at all. No swinging around and flailing and twisting, and NO HOLDING YOUR BREATH. Lift until it hurts, then do 2 or 3 more. If you don't push, you'll never gets results. You want to feel the burn and work through it.

What's not accurate about the posts? Just curious.

You do have a good addition here re keeping form and the breathing.

Everyone saying 5 or 6. You can lift heavy and hit 8 to 10. Seems a little like bro-science when we start talking about lifting heavy. Maybe it's just people make matter-of-fact comments, and I know for a fact, they aren't true. LOL. So, whateves. Just trying to keep it real and stay away from the bro stuff. You can lift heavy and do 15 reps. The idea is the the last couple hurt bad.

But, typically, I see ladies using 5lbs because they don't want to "bulk up" and do 10 curls with them. LOL. My 7-year old daughter can do that. Ha!

Ummm...my response is what I specifically learned from NSCA's text while studying for my certification. I am looking at a Table in NSCA's Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, the text used for the CSCS cert. It reads as follows:

Training Goal:
    Strength -
    Load: >=85% 1RM Goal Repetitions: <=6

Hypertrophy -
    Load: 75-85% 1RM Goal Reps 6-12

Muscular endurance-
    Load: <=67% 1RM Goal reps >=12

Yes, you can gain some strength working in the hypertrophy range, but the above is the actual textbook recommendation for strength, hypertrophy, or muscular endurance goals. If that isn't accurate, I don't know where else to look.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Interesting that he should be calling Broscience based on his post.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    8-12 lifting

6-8 kinda heavy

1-5 heavy

N.B. 12+ 'toning'
  • deestew58
    deestew58 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    what's BUMP?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    What's Google?
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Question for trainers/experienced lifters:

Can you lose fat and get toned doing something like Strong Lifts and eating at a small deficit (like TDEE -100 cals)??

Thanks!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Question for trainers/experienced lifters:

Can you lose fat and get toned doing something like Strong Lifts and eating at a small deficit (like TDEE -100 cals)??

Thanks!

Absofreakinlutely. Though most of us cringe at the word 'toned' lol. Also, most of us go off of a percentage of TDEE, usually either 15% or 20%. Any deficit will work though (assuming you have an accurate number for TDEE)...the larger ones just take more margin of error into consideration.