If you are scared to increase calories

Options

Replies

• grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm going to give this a shot. I've been gradually increasing my calories to spur some weight loss. I suppose I might as well aim a bit higher. Just to make sure I'm not messing anything up:

72.5 inches tall
    35.9% calculated body fat
    268.8lbs
    My goal weight is 197lbs
    I walk about 5-6 times a week (about 2-4 miles). I stay in Zone 3 for most of the time according to my HRM
    I have begun doing some lifting 2-3 times a week. It is dumb bells, body weight, and resistance bands only. Can't afford a gym membership.
    I put myself as the light activity since I sit at a desk all the rest of the day.

I'm looking at a BMR of around 2059 calories. I won't be eating exercise calories.
    I've set my goal calories at 2698 calories.

So, according to MFP, at the very worst I should still lose 0.3 lbs per week with these calories.
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I need to ask. How do you eat so many calories? Especially if you are used to eating closer to 1200.
    I can't eat nuts, eggs or dairy so it makes it harder to get good calories. I mean, im sure I could eat a big Mac and maje an extra 500 cals but im guessing thats not the point here
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have a favor to ask someone. Could someone be really sweet and figure my cals intake for me? My age is 41, female, 5'2, currently 197 lbs. I ride with hubby, long haul trucking, so my exercise is sedentary. Sometimes if i do actually get exercise in, pls let me know if i should eat back cals. Thank u!!!!!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I have set my calories to 1800. I am trying to create an exercise routine, but am not always consistant with it. I work at Starbucks 4 days a week. My TDEE is apparently 2303, BMR 1675.

So if I eat 1800, burn off 400, I can't eat those 400 back?
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have set my calories to 1800. I am trying to create an exercise routine, but am not always consistant with it. I work at Starbucks 4 days a week. My TDEE is apparently 2303, BMR 1675.

It depends on how you set your TDEE. If your set your TDEE above sedentary, then you would eat the calories back. If you set it to light or moderate, then that activity is included in the TDEE calculation, so you wouldn't eat them back.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

It depends on how you set your TDEE. If your set your TDEE above sedentary, then you would eat the calories back. If you set it to light or moderate, then that activity is included in the TDEE calculation, so you wouldn't eat them back.

Tdee is 'total daily energy expenditure' so you should choose the activity level that includes your exercise.
    If tdee is 2303, you eat 1800+400, you have eaten 2200 which is only 103 deficit and you probably won't lose.
    The reason you need to eat exercise back with
    Mfp calcs is because exercise is not included in activity level. With tdee it is so you don't eat them back.
    With an active job and 3 or more workouts a week you should choose mod active.
  • sal82
    sal82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My only question is, and apologises if this has been covered, can I set my calories to the sedentary level and then eat back exercise? I only ask because I vary so greatly in planned exercise daily and weekly. Some weeks I might burn 3500 in a week, others under 1000.

Yup, thats the best solution if your exercise is sporadic. Eat back 75% is my usual advice, to account for error.

Many thanks for that. I might just set it to that level and take it from there. I exercise fairly reguarlly but don't want to eat calories for exercise I might end up missing out on doing due to every day life. this will still be increasing my daily calories by over 100 so hopefully this will break this stupid stall I'm stuck at. I've been cycling the same 1kg for the last 6-8 weeks now and I'm over it.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this
  • calcote05
    calcote05 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am nervous about this, but am going to give it a shot!

Should I just up my cals by a few hundred for now or should I go all out??

I had a baby 6 weeks ago and had no limit on cals while I was pregnant, but then cut back to 1200. Haven't lost any since counting cals again.

holy smokes, increase them. Are you nursing? 1200 cals is going to negatively affect your milk supply and your energy!
    yes! you are exclusively nursing and should include 500-700 more calories to keep your supply up. I logged BFing in my diary. For exclusively BFing it minuses 500 calories. I made sure to eat them back.
    I'm nursing a 15 mon old and still make sure I eat that extra 300 calories.

I think it's amazing that you're still nursing! I am 100000% for extended breastfeeding. I plan to BF my kids until they self wean. Well done, mama!

Not nursing anymore because my supply was too low (now I know why!). Thanks!

Since I am no longer ursing, should I increase at once or do it gradually?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I need to ask. How do you eat so many calories? Especially if you are used to eating closer to 1200.
    I can't eat nuts, eggs or dairy so it makes it harder to get good calories. I mean, im sure I could eat a big Mac and maje an extra 500 cals but im guessing thats not the point here

Feel free to take a look at my diary, though I've been sick this past week with a stomach virus, so numbers are kind of low. If you go back prior to last Friday the 27th, you can see my cals around 2000.
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Feel free to take a look at my diary, though I've been sick this past week with a stomach virus, so numbers are kind of low. If you go back prior to last Friday the 27th, you can see my cals around 2000.
    Thanks! I appreciate all your help
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have stuck for the last 3 weeks and am willing to try this but I must admit it does make me nervous....can I clarify with you guys so I dont crash and burn??

I have done the calculation on Fat2Fit;
    My BMR IS 1483 cals
    I work out 3-4 times a week, mix of weights and cardio so took the moderately active level of 2195

I have another 10lbs to o before I reach my goal weight of 151lbs (i am 5ft 9).

Does this mean I eat 2195 cals per day and maintain my current activity level but don't eat back the cals generated?

:flowerforyou: thanks!!

Yup, correct :)

This is exactly what I do, but since I have a little weight to lose I create a small deficit. TDEE minus 500 calories daily. (500 calories x7=3500. Thats the 1 pound a week weight loss deficit).
  • vickystrand1
    vickystrand1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later as I'm planning on increasing too x
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    saving for later :flowerforyou:
  • rmoga99
    rmoga99 Posts: 37
    Options
    bump
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I up'd my calories on April 9th. I gained 4 lbs within 2 weeks. The following week I lost those 4 lbs plus an extra 3. I started to strength train every other day for 30 minutes and I alter that with 30 minutes of cardio. I've lost inches all over. I try to eat about 2300-2500 calories a day.

The group eat more to weigh less really helped me.
  • jkpfeifer2
    jkpfeifer2 Posts: 9
    Options
    I bumped up to 1900-2000 a little over three weeks ago. Hadn't lost since I first joined and was on the assinine 1200 hampster wheel. I gained about 4 pounds at first, but since then I've dropped the four and another 1.8. Not bad for three weeks. The inches are going too. I feel amazing! I have strength and stamina! My hair and nails are even getting stronger and healthy. I'm not in a constant brain fog or constantly in a bad mood. We aren't meant to function on so little.

Fantastic! I've just figured my BMR, TDEE, and cut and have just started it this past week. I feel like I'm eating tons, but I typically net just over my BMR. I'm working out more and feel good. I can't wait to see the scale go down. Even though it's just a week and I know I need to give it several to start seeing a difference, I want it to hurry up! :) I'm working on that 'hurry up' attitude, though, and am working on my 'this is my way of living' attitude. :) Excited for you and your success.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a favor to ask someone. Could someone be really sweet and figure my cals intake for me? My age is 41, female, 5'2, currently 197 lbs. I ride with hubby, long haul trucking, so my exercise is sedentary. Sometimes if i do actually get exercise in, pls let me know if i should eat back cals. Thank u!!!!!

Do you know what your body fat % is? In the calculators on the fat2fitradio website, this number is important for calculating your goal weight, and thus your goal calories for the "thin you."
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I am nervous about this, but am going to give it a shot!

Should I just up my cals by a few hundred for now or should I go all out??

I had a baby 6 weeks ago and had no limit on cals while I was pregnant, but then cut back to 1200. Haven't lost any since counting cals again.

holy smokes, increase them. Are you nursing? 1200 cals is going to negatively affect your milk supply and your energy!
    yes! you are exclusively nursing and should include 500-700 more calories to keep your supply up. I logged BFing in my diary. For exclusively BFing it minuses 500 calories. I made sure to eat them back.
    I'm nursing a 15 mon old and still make sure I eat that extra 300 calories.

I think it's amazing that you're still nursing! I am 100000% for extended breastfeeding. I plan to BF my kids until they self wean. Well done, mama!

Not nursing anymore because my supply was too low (now I know why!). Thanks!

Since I am no longer ursing, should I increase at once or do it gradually?

Oh, sorry about that hun.

I think it's up to you, but some people would recommend increasing gradually and seeing how it goes after 3 weeks.